TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
A Borges man wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 8:14 pm
Tarssauce wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 7:56 pm
^This. They were given a recommendation to help them meet the rating they wanted. They decided to cut those 9 seconds. It’s not censorship like how it’s done is some countries where parts of the film are cut just for the film to be screened there.
Also, there is a precedent in Nolan films for this...If I remember correctly (if i'm miss remembering, please someone correct me): In The Dark Knight, when Joker lights the cash on fire, Lau is on the pile of cash as it burns...they had to remove a shot of Lau visible burning to death to get the PG-13 rating. Nolan is pretty intune with what is too much.
Not only that, but the trilogy shows no blood. At least thats what i remember hearing for The Dark Knight. I think the only instance is when the hung batman with the jokerized face hits the window. his mouth is jokerized with lipstick or a smile is cut, but when he hits the window, i think some red gets on the window. I also recall that the scene originally had the "Will the real Batman please stand up?" joker card be stabbed into the batman chest, not safety pinned to it. But those choices were made for the rating.

thedonkeywheel wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 1:41 am
A Borges man wrote:
Tarssauce wrote:
^This. They were given a recommendation to help them meet the rating they wanted. They decided to cut those 9 seconds. It’s not censorship like how it’s done is some countries where parts of the film are cut just for the film to be screened there.
Also, there is a precedent in Nolan films for this...If I remember correctly (if i'm miss remembering, please someone correct me): In The Dark Knight, when Joker lights the cash on fire, Lau is on the pile of cash as it burns...they had to remove a shot of Lau visible burning to death to get the PG-13 rating. Nolan is pretty intune with what is too much.
Not only that, but the trilogy shows no blood. At least thats what i remember hearing for The Dark Knight. I think the only instance is when the hung batman with the jokerized face hits the window. his mouth is jokerized with lipstick or a smile is cut, but when he hits the window, i think some red gets on the window. I also recall that the scene originally had the "Will the real Batman please stand up?" joker card be stabbed into the batman chest, not safety pinned to it. But those choices were made for the rating.
I don't know if I should keep discussing the Dark Knight on the Tenet subcategory, but whatever.
You've got me thinking:
The blood and rating element of The Dark Knight I find funny...specifically because of Two-face. IT is so viseral and gross, but since there isn't what we think of as tradition blood it is allowed (there is some blood on his pillow when he turns his face, but its a blink and you'll miss it thing).

You might like the video essay:

A Borges man wrote:
Tarssauce wrote:
But was that shot removed everywhere globally or just the US version? In the case of Tenet they only cut that in the UK.

antovolk wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 2:35 am
A Borges man wrote:
Tarssauce wrote:
But was that shot removed everywhere globally or just the US version? In the case of Tenet they only cut that in the UK.
Sorry, good point...I went on a parrallel tangent. Didn't quite take in the particulars of the thread until you pointed it out.

The stupidity, and people defending this...

There is more violence in generic action movies. And movies that gringos make it Rated R are 15+ rated in my country, you would think that the most important and most advanced countries in the world were the less closed-minded. I can't handle so much stupidity,

oh wow a fictional female character is hit in the face (I bet 100% the scene will be far of being explicit anyways) , the world will be over let's cut it because people don't see worse things every day on YouTube.
Fucking idiots, this is the dumb censor I've read in a long time. You even see hardest scenes in soap operas :facepalm:
Last edited by Lincoln on August 17th, 2020, 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

So does this mean the UK press who are seeing the movie right now won't see that scene?
Lol
Elizabeth will be mad
Last edited by Lincoln on August 17th, 2020, 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

KEM
Gringos lol

But anyways, I can agree, I don’t like censorship, especially in fiction where you know it’s not real

The BBFC page says the enquiry (and the cut) was made during post-production, before the picture was submitted for classification, so I think that means it'll be the same in every territory, not just the UK. Conjecture regarding context-
It's probably not a big deal; but it *will* a shame if it impacts the characterisation of those concerned i.e. if it's supposed to be a moment where the audience is meant to be set dead against Branagh's character as an abusive partner and instead he's just going to be standing there menacingly. Hopefully there's enough going on in the scene in context it doesn't make much difference, like the guy burning to death in The Dark Knight where the remaining inference from the start of the scene is all you really need.

RrobynneUK wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:02 am
The BBFC page says the enquiry (and the cut) was made during post-production, before the picture was submitted for classification, so I think that means it'll be the same in every territory, not just the UK. Conjecture regarding context-
It's probably not a big deal; but it *will* a shame if it impacts the characterisation of those concerned i.e. if it's supposed to be a moment where the audience is meant to be set dead against Branagh's character as an abusive partner and instead he's just going to be standing there menacingly. Hopefully there's enough going on in the scene in context it doesn't make much difference, like the guy burning to death in The Dark Knight where the remaining inference from the start of the scene is all you really need.
The thing that's proving that the cut is UK only is the runtime - 149:59 everywhere else, 149:50 in the UK.

cute misogyny, guys. anyway, i applaud uk for enforcing these changes, we don't need the violence on women to be normolized. i'm disgusted with nolan for making this scene in the first place. we're not in time where memento was fine. we as sociey should move on. you can imply the violence happening but not show it, it's not that hard, see: hannibal killing off one of important supporting female characters in s2.