TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Bacon wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 7:12 pm
But doesn’t the prologue shows soldiers working for the government co-operating with the terrorists?
Not sure.

This is my best summary of what happens in the prologue:
Terrorists come in, real SWATs come in, fake SWATs (JDW's team) sneak in with real SWATs. Real SWATs knock out citizens with gas, real SWATs start planting bombs. JDW and his team sneak VIP/POI out and JDW says the raid is a stage so they (most likely real SWATs?) can vanish the VIP (kill him). JDW is saving him from the raid. On the way out, he gets found out and he realizes the real SWATs are going to blow up the building. A fake SWAT saves him and JDW starts grabbing all the bombs to save them even though his fellow fake SWATs say it's not part of his mission. JDW is about to be shot by a real SWAT and is saved by a mysterious SWAT that is not one of the fake SWATs in JDW's team. JDW successfully makes it out with VIP and VIP's helper, only to get stopped by someone in the van.
JDW disposing of the live bombs even though that wasn’t part of his mission. Hero status established. After this he is threatened but refuses to give up his team. JDW’s character is already the man 10 or so minutes into the film.
Love it.

Bacon wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 8:20 pm
The terrorist attack was obviously organized by one of the two organizations (JDW's or the national government) as a method for the VIP to vanish (either to save him or to kill him depending on which organization planned the attack). My guess is the terrorist attack was staged to get the real SWATs there so they could take out the VIP using the bombs. The SWATs were willing to take out the entire theater to make it seem like the terrorists blew it up. Not sure if that's correct, but idk.

Also, Pattinson isn't confused by the car flipping. The dude has his game face on.
Just checked the trailer again, you’re right about Pattinson.

I get confused the more I watch it. I think the terrorists are working with JDW’s organization to bring the real SWATs to the opera house. But planting the bomb, “They’re covering they’re tracks” line. So they aren’t really saving the anyone. But why keep fire at the terrorists if they are on the same team.

Maybe they were firing at the VIP and didn’t notice that JDW took him - since one of the real SWATs figured him out. Or there are other fake SWATs within the fake SWATs.

I’m out, this is insane.
Yeah... I said I liked the trailer better than the prologue? I take that back.

We should really move this discussion to the prologue section.
But what's interesting is that the real SWAT's were so hellbent on putting the bombs there they were going to kill JDW (who was disguised as one of their own) to make sure the bombs detonated. I could see him getting into the van thinking he saved the day only to find out there's more going on that he screwed up by moving the bomb. Hence him getting tortured later and tested to see if he'd rat out his colleagues. JDW and his team could have known they had to get a VIP out but weren't aware that there was a hit on someone there that the government SWATs were doing. The terrorists also don't have to be "working with" anyone. They could be tipped off and be unaware that they're getting set up.

Bacon wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm
But what's interesting is that the real SWAT's were so hellbent on putting the bombs there they were going to kill JDW (who was disguised as one of their own) to make sure the bombs detonated. I could see him getting into the van thinking he saved the day only to find out there's more going on that he screwed up by moving the bomb. Hence him getting tortured later and tested to see if he'd rat out his colleagues. JDW and his team could have known they had to get a VIP out but weren't aware that there was a hit on someone there that the government SWATs were doing. The terrorists also don't have to be "working with" anyone. They could be tipped off and be unaware that they're getting set up.
but didnt the
real swat guy that had john at gun point tell him "look away, you dont have to kill these people", so is the real swat trying to bomb the audience?

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Bacon wrote:
but didnt the
real swat guy that had john at gun point tell him "look away, you dont have to kill these people", so is the real swat trying to bomb the audience?
I thought it was definitely John that said "look away, you don't have to kill these people."

Yup, it’s definitely JDW. Real SWAT would probably speak Russian like the other one.
On that note, I wonder if Tenet will play in Russia as it took inspiration of the 2002 Nord-Ost siege which is bizarre and fascinating. I don’t know how sensitive they are about stuff like that.

Anyone can explain..
What the hell is the terrorist looking for in that opera house??

If JDW was the part of the terrorist, so why take so much effort for bring the VIP..
Last edited by Nomis on December 21st, 2019, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use spoiler tags!

Bacon wrote:
y'all are totally forgetting about the first 30 seconds of the prologue when
the guy in the van says "wake up the Americans" and JDW seems to have some time reversal moment and he wakes up (additionally, when he wakes up it kinda looks like bullets come out of his body) . so it's really hard to tell who he's working with in this scene.

The prologue takes place in Ukraine, not Russia. The context is vague, though. But the movie can end up on Ukraine's shit list and won't get a release if there's some dubious allusions there. Likewise, it's crucial to know who those terrorists who take over the place are. If they're just random nobodies, nothing to worry about. If they are meant to represent some kind of pro-Ukraine zealot group of killers who go around and kill their own people, like RT News paints Ukrainian soldiers who went to fight separatists in DNR & LNR, then the movie can forget about being released there. But I doubt Nolan will go full-on Oliver Stone and make any kind of direct political allusions.
Last edited by Batman's Batman on December 21st, 2019, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler tags man come on
Last edited by gropercity on December 21st, 2019, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.