TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
William Blake wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Nolan62 wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 7:21 pm
To return to the filmmaking style, the hiring of a different editor seems like it will have some striking changes, I don't know.
I think he definitely wants to evolve and maybe work with younger and hungrier people where he can, maybe to remind him of his early days in Following and Memento. I feel like he’s going to want to shake out of old habits and get out of his comfort zone as much as is necessary. The casting has shown that so far as has the news about Lame. She mainly has worked on smaller indies like with Baumbach, who I really like. I think this will be good.
Editing pre-Interstellar felt very similar (classic Nolan), and Dunkirk really changed things up, so yeah I think he wants to do something new.

Ace
Here are some pages from Nolan’s interview he did with James Cameron where they talked about time travel in film.

Ace wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm
This?
Nolanisgod123 wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 9:54 pm
Ok guys, take this with a grain of salt. Found this on 4chan /tv/ board.

It is a sci-fi action-thriller about time travel, with two intersecting storylines, one set in the near future and one in the 1950’s. John David Washington and Robert Pattinson are playing scientists who travel from the future to the past and get caught up in a conspiracy involving a femme fatale played by Elizabeth Debicki. Washington is the main, while Pattinson takes on a more antagonistic role.

The mechanics of time travel are unique, with the leads existing simultaneously in both time periods, and having limits to how far they can go and what they can do in the past. Mark Rylance and William Fichtner will be in the movie as supporting characters in the future timeline, while Lucy Boynton is in early talks for a pivotal role in the past timeline. James McAvoy is being eyed for a very important role in the past timeline as well.

The title isn’t locked in yet, but it is being referred by studio heads as “Tempus Fugit”.

Here's the link for those who are skeptical: http://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/112207886

Granted, it could be April fools...
OMG!!

TeddyBlass wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 7:12 pm
If I run with this on the front page we might be able to get WB to reveal their hand a bit.
do it

Ace wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:52 pm
Here are some pages from Nolan’s interview he did with James Cameron where they talked about time travel in film.
have you got the rest? It's a very nice read. PM if you want to

Nomis wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 3:31 am
Ace wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 10:52 pm
have you got the rest? It's a very nice read. PM if you want to
Someone posted the full thing in another thread here:
Ace wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 12:20 pm
Complete interview between Nolan & Cameron from the book.

That’s such an interesting interview. Can’t believe I haven’t read it earlier. Cameron and Nolan together make one brilliant conversation.

But back on topic, Nolan seems seriously intruiged by this time travel concept. He’s one of few filmmakers that can turn this ambitious idea into an accessible and exciting film. I’m taking this rumor with a grain of salt of course but I honestly see him doing this sometime.

I don't really trust the 1950s thing either. Like, he just happened to pick the same time period that's used in the most famous time travel movie?

That general time period shows up in Stephen King's 11/22/63 as well. Different decade of course.

I think "Not Long Ago, but Just Long Enough that Everything was Very Different" is used for Time Travel stories because of nostalgia. Older people actually have memories of those times. Hot Tub Time Machine is an example, going back to the 80's. X-Men: Days of Future Past goes to the 70's. It's all just familar enough while being a radically different world.

And hell, the Western was the most popular genre in the 50's because again, nostalgia. There were older people in the 50's who actually experienced real aspects of the Wild West.

I guess my point is, you don't see a ton of Time Travel movies going back to the 1400's or Christ's time or even the days of the Vikings because those are "foreign" worlds to us. Not much to reminisce and have fun with.

Anyway, this unnecessarily long post was to say: Yes, I can see Nolan doing a Time Travel story that's set in the 1950's.

Nolan likes time, but his concepts are a lot more unique and thoughtful than simple time traveling.