TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I'm still confused, was Ruth being real or was she just messing with us.

Also, is anybody else "slightly" annoyed by Nolan's extreme secrecy?
I mean, he's just making a movie, you could at least let people know the genre.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:59 pm
I think LieMAX has its place. It does a better job preserving the color and so forth of the IMAX photography. I saw Interstellar in both LieMAX and at a theater brand PLF. Theater brand PLF in this case had a projector with pretty faded color/contrast. It just didn't look right. The wormhole sequence in particular looked pretty bad. Thankfully this show was on Discount Tuesday and I only paid $5 for the ticket when it would normally be about $14.

I certainly agree there is a huge difference between real IMAX and LieMAX, enough of a difference that I later regretted not making travel plans for Interstellar. Ponied up some pretty serious money for a weekend to see Dunkirk several times in 1.43 Laser IMAX on the biggest screen in Texas. It was worth every penny along with 10 hours of driving roundtrip. The hotel and gasoline cost wasn't cheap, lol
Love it! I don't think I could do that much for that. I'd have to have other excuses to be where I'm going.

These are experiences you can't get back, though. Like I said, IMAX or bust.

radewart wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:11 pm
I'm still confused, was Ruth being real or was she just messing with us.
With all due respect, unless she is the most unobvious Syncopy plant in the world, Ruth is just a passionate, devoted fan with a spark of creativity and wit to churn up something that catches like wildfire. She was just having fun being an "agent of chaos." There isn't anything to take from what she said.

To be frank, Nolan doesn't leak many things to many people as is in general. I bet there are things that his own wife is left in the dark about during the screenwriting process.

Also, is anybody else "slightly" annoyed by Nolan's extreme secrecy?
I mean, he's just making a movie, you could at least let people know the genre.
I prefer the secrecy, personally. Knowing today versus two months from now shouldn't make a shred of difference. For all we know, it could be the romantic thriller thing that was accidentally leaked too early.

Plus, this stuff has been going on in Hollywood forever. Ralph Garman told a story about how Adam West wasn't able to bring original Batman scripts home with him when he was being cast for the role. Some movies and shows have many alternate things shot and written out so that even actors don't know how the film ends up and such. Read about how much they tight-nit the production for Game of Thrones.

I like it, and am not at all annoyed by it. This film is still sixteen months away. They'll pace out the information slowly and evenly. It is not a wise marketing strategy to let too many things out too soon.

I’m personally loving the secrecy:
A) it’ll eventually be revealed, and very likely worth the wait. Then there’s the production phase which will be its own waiting game.

B) it means the project is uniquely special and exciting that they just don’t want to toss off an announcement in an offhand way. They’re building to something. That’s why I’m a tiny bit inclined to believe it’s an IP done through Nolan’s aesthetics. Otherwise they could announce what it was if it was an unheard of idea and not really need to keep it under wraps. Or it could be something to do with the casting that they need to keep it totally hidden until everything is set in stone.

C) just look at all this hype it’s already generated. Pre production secrecy is a virtue imo.

William Blake wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:34 pm
I’m personally loving the secrecy:
A) it’ll eventually be revealed, and very likely worth the wait. Then there’s the production phase which will be its own waiting game.

B) it means the project is uniquely special and exciting that they just don’t want to toss off an announcement in an offhand way. They’re building to something. That’s why I’m a tiny bit inclined to believe it’s an IP done through Nolan’s aesthetics. Otherwise they could announce what it was if it was an unheard of idea and not really need to keep it under wraps. Or it could be something to do with the casting that they need to keep it totally hidden until everything is set in stone.

C) just look at all this hype it’s already generated. Pre production secrecy is a virtue imo.
Again, I don't think it's an IP. He's said multiple time last year that he was in the middle of writing a script (and alone because his brother is all with Westworld now), and if it has taken so long, maybe it was because he was racking his brains to create clear ideas to his story. I don't say he can't bring his touch like this on an IP but I think that at this time, he can do whatever he wants and wants to keep telling his own stories as long as he wants.

And all this actual secrecy was the same situation with Dunkirk (release date's announcement first then mystery around the project during two months) so it's mean nothing.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:23 pm
Love it! I don't think I could do that much for that. I'd have to have other excuses to be where I'm going.

These are experiences you can't get back, though. Like I said, IMAX or bust.
Yep, I am willing to pay serious money for a great experience. Other people blow money on stupid crap like Starbucks or the latest phone every single year.

Generally I am very frugal. But I have money to burn (and time to burn as well), so the special trip for Dunkirk in real IMAX was easily worth the money/time investment for me.

Again, I don't think it's an IP. He's said multiple time last year that he was in the middle of writing a script (and alone because his brother is all with Westworld now), and if it has taken so long, maybe it was because he was racking his brains to create clear ideas to his story. I don't say he can't bring his touch like this on an IP but I think that at this time, he can do whatever he wants and wants to keep telling his own stories as long as he wants.

And all this actual secrecy was the same situation with Dunkirk (release date's announcement first then mystery around the project during two months) so it's mean nothing.
True, those are all fair points. I’ll be happy either way. We’re on the cusp(hopefully) of finding out!

William Blake wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 9:32 pm

True, those are all fair points. I’ll be happy either way. We’re on the cusp(hopefully) of finding out!
And in my opinion, why would he lose his time making IP at this point of his career where he is in total freedom creatively speaking, he's using this privilege and be forever grateful for this by create original things. The only IP was Batman and that, it was also because it was his beginning in Hollywood and in a certain way he wanted to make a name for himself, as well as feeling something to develop about this caracter. And he wasn't originally planned to make a trilogy, it was because he feeled the need to increase the characters psychology and to conclude a narrative arc (and again he doesn't think his trilogy registers in the super-heroe genre, it's a character study only, Batman as a real human/hero). And he move to new things and opportunities after the end in 2012. So that's why I think he will never enter into a saga or making sequel, and that's why I also still don't think about him making a James Bond.

He's in a totally new mentality to make completely daring and original stories with original way of storytelling to bring a larger audience in cinema and to tell/remind us the UNIQUE beauty/experience and importance of going in movie theater.

Well IP can be taken broadly in it's definition, it doesn't necessarily mean 'comic-book movie'; though that's mainly what the industry shorthand signifies these days.

Insomnia was a remake of another film. The Batman trilogy: a comic book adaptation that was very much filtered through his individual point of view; it didn't have the feel of a company film like a Marvel movie by any stretch (Or let's say Justice League for that matter). The Prestige was based off of a novel. Even Memento was a short story idea when he wrote his script. And Interstellar was a pre-existing concept/script before he came on board and re-wrote it.

I 100% feel you when it comes to his mandate to choose an original story to tell given the massive sway he has at WB, however, what I'm basically saying is that even if it's a known property - it'll be as original and personal to Nolan as possible. I don't think he'd look at it as 'losing time making an IP' if it's something he absolutely wants to do next. And that could come from anywhere in the media landscape, not just like the world of comics, etc.

I know what you mean though and I'd say it has a 90% chance of being wrought from wholly new cloth in terms of subject matter. That's where all the signs point post Dunkirk. Yet there is a 10% chance nagging at me that it's a grand adaptation of something that exists already, and adapted by CN to be specific to his style of film-making, that's all.

William Blake wrote:
March 10th, 2019, 12:37 am
Insomnia was a remake of another film. The Batman trilogy: a comic book adaptation that was very much filtered through his individual point of view; it didn't have the feel of a company film like a Marvel movie by any stretch (Or let's say Justice League for that matter). The Prestige was based off of a novel. Even Memento was a short story idea when he wrote his script. And Interstellar was a pre-existing concept/script before he came on board and re-wrote it.
Good points. Throw in Dunkirk being a based on a true story, and his only original wide release feature-length film is Inception.

Is it crazy to think that we won't be getting any real concrete news on this until April?