TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 7:31 pm
CASE wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Some people just want pepsi twists and mindfucks and Insomnia doesn't give that.
I've said it once: majority (?) likes Nolan just because of "twists" :(
I don't think that's why. Batman Begins's twist and The Dark Knight Rises's twists are both very mediocre. It's nice having Liam Neeson came back but nobody's like "Oh my God, I was convinced it was Ken Watanabe!". The Dark Knight doesn't have a twist and people like it the most. Dunkirk doesn't have one either.

I think people don't like Insomnia because it's his least unique. It feels like anyone could have directed it. It's almost generic. I personally don't like the soundtrack and I remember the overall story between Al and Hillary to be predictable and slightly corny.
Pretty much this. However, also consider the fact that, for the studio, Insomnia was essentially a test run to ensure Nolan could handle taking on Batman. That said, I still enjoy it. Definitely my least favorite, but if THAT'S the worst Nolan can do, we're in good hands.

Hustler wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:14 am
Geoffrey wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 7:31 pm
CASE wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Some people just want pepsi twists and mindfucks and Insomnia doesn't give that.
I've said it once: majority (?) likes Nolan just because of "twists" :(
I don't think that's why. Batman Begins's twist and The Dark Knight Rises's twists are both very mediocre. It's nice having Liam Neeson came back but nobody's like "Oh my God, I was convinced it was Ken Watanabe!". The Dark Knight doesn't have a twist and people like it the most. Dunkirk doesn't have one either.

I think people don't like Insomnia because it's his least unique. It feels like anyone could have directed it. It's almost generic. I personally don't like the soundtrack and I remember the overall story between Al and Hillary to be predictable and slightly corny.
Pretty much this. However, also consider the fact that, for the studio, Insomnia was essentially a test run to ensure Nolan could handle taking on Batman. That said, I still enjoy it. Definitely my least favorite, but if THAT'S the worst Nolan can do, we're in good hands.
Insomnia wasn't a test run for anything lol. Nolan was looking for work and Soderbergh recommended Nolan to the studio; that's how he got that job. Batman Begins was a whole separate thing. Nolan heard they were doing Batman and since he had made Insomnia he was able to go pitch his idea for Batman because he felt strongly about making a realistic Batman. Insomnia and BB have absolutely nothing to do with each other and are not connected.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 6:50 pm
I love Insomnia. Gives me chills whenever I revisit scenes.
”WRAPPED UP IN GARBAGE BAGS”
I’ve also been listening to the score and it’s beautiful.
100% agreed. David Julyan did really well here and on The Prestige too. Doesnt have the dynamic Zimmer delivers, but I do enjoy listening these two early scores.

Now for me there is a very big question mark when it comes to the Tenet score, because it will be something we havent heard before.

Collector03601 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:15 am
100% agreed. David Julyan did really well here and on The Prestige too. Doesnt have the dynamic Zimmer delivers, but I do enjoy listening these two early scores.

Now for me there is a very big question mark when it comes to the Tenet score, because it will be something we havent heard before.
Julyan's work is definitely different than Zimmer's which is refreshing - even though I love Zimmer's sound. So yeah, it's gonna be interesting to hear what Tenet will sound like and in what direction will the score go.

Hoping to hear some of it in the teaser.

Julyan is awesome because he's not an action composer. He's all about mood and ambience. Getting under your skin. Zimmer is the opposite. Both are amazing, but on different ends of the spectrum.

Ludwig is super interesting because there's such a strong funk/soul/hip-hop background there. Who knows what's going to happen, haha.

You know, this is probably Nolan's riskiest project ever. Lots of new faces this time around. And supposedly his biggest budget ever.

Angus wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 9:15 am
Julyan is awesome because he's not an action composer. He's all about mood and ambience. Getting under your skin. Zimmer is the opposite. Both are amazing, but on different ends of the spectrum.
This is Nobel worthy, sir.

To be honest, I don't know if that's true about Zimmer. People think he's all about action, but that's just what directors and studios ask from him. He's all about mood and atmosphere, a lot of Dunkirk was exactly just that, to the point where some people continually complain about how non-melodic his latest scores are.

What I love about Zimmer is that his scores are layered and complex. You're not just getting a melody that sounds good, you're getting a new musical language and soundscape with each project. Music that is full of subtext. Listen to his latest score for Dark Phoenix, the way he mixed classical music inspired by Henry Durcell with electronics, and the way he used voices and choir is just phenomenal. His new X-Men theme in the track "Gap" will ring in your head for days.

Zimmer has a tendency to focus on "action" but he has a lot more range than David Julyan. Julyan tends to only do ambient music. I don't know if he has a melody in him. His music is too simple. I can hammer similar sounds and moodscapes out with some basic synthesizers. The only time I was impressed by Julyan's work was during the end of Momento. I believe Nolan dropped him for a reason other than the executives demanding he use Zimmer. I know he's an "OG", but he just isn't on the same level.