TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Wasn't there supposed to be a Travis Scott interview?

Retskrad wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 9:40 am
I have watched this movie 5 times in the theater and I would’ve loved to see it a couple of more times because the soundtrack and action sequences are amazing and the cinematography is beautiful but I honestly can’t handle the cringey dialogue that was written for Kat and Sator.

I physically cringe harder and harder at every new viewing every time Kat mentions her son every other line or Sator talking like a corny villain from the 1950’s that we’ve already seen a million times before and laughed at.

At the 5th time I had to look away from the screen when Kat and The Protagonist have their conservation in the dinner scene where she says Sator is controlling her and the cliche music kicks in. Or when Sator says with a cartoonish accent that if he can’t have her, no one else can. Oh god, it’s all so bad.
I thought the scene with Kat and the Protagonist at dinner was very emotional. It's actually one of my favorite moments, and it's definitely my favorite track from the score. "Cringey" dialogue is something I've come to expect from Nolan's films, and I honestly kind of love it.

marshallmurphy wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 9:22 am
Retskrad wrote:
I have watched this movie 5 times in the theater and I would’ve loved to see it a couple of more times because the soundtrack and action sequences are amazing and the cinematography is beautiful but I honestly can’t handle the cringey dialogue that was written for Kat and Sator.

I physically cringe harder and harder at every new viewing every time Kat mentions her son every other line or Sator talking like a corny villain from the 1950’s that we’ve already seen a million times before and laughed at.

At the 5th time I had to look away from the screen when Kat and The Protagonist have their conservation in the dinner scene where she says Sator is controlling her and the cliche music kicks in. Or when Sator says with a cartoonish accent that if he can’t have her, no one else can. Oh god, it’s all so bad.
I thought the scene with Kat and the Protagonist at dinner was very emotional. It's actually one of my favorite moments, and it's definitely my favorite track from the score. "Cringey" dialogue is something I've come to expect from Nolan's films, and I honestly kind of love it.

The scene overall reminded me of the Macau scene in Skyfall (maybe even paid homage to it, in a way), though this scene is without any cringe:

Severine: Can you kill him?
Bond: Yes.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 10:22 am
marshallmurphy wrote:
Retskrad wrote:

The scene overall reminded me of the Macau scene in Skyfall (maybe even paid homage to it, in a way), though this scene is without any cringe:

Severine: Can you kill him?
Bond: Yes.
It's without cringe until you remember she is a ex-child sex slave and he then rapes her in the shower...

Retskrad wrote:

I also phsyically cringe when your mom brings you up.

Forum Pro
Law
Retskrad wrote:

sees movie 5 times

marshallmurphy wrote:

I thought the scene with Kat and the Protagonist at dinner was very emotional. It's actually one of my favorite moments, and it's definitely my favorite track from the score.
Agreed. This scene is great. Debecki sells it.

Retskrad wrote:
Or when Sator says with a cartoonish accent that if he can’t have her, no one else can. Oh god, it’s all so bad.
Let's pretend for the moment the line doesn't feel incredibly cheesy, and look at it from Nolan's point-of-view as a writer and think about why he possibly included it.

Sator does use a similar line later in the film (which is supposed to be some sort of justifiable payoff from earlier, I guess) where he kind of says if he can't live in this world then no one else can either, hence the reason for his wanting to make the algorithm do its thing. From the audience's point-of-view, the direction in which we hear both of these lines feels like it grows grander, from simply not being able to have a woman to not being able to live at all. Imagine this being flipped, it kind of sounds silly that way.

However, the inverted version of this is probably exactly how Sator was experiencing things. First he finds out he is terminal with pancreatic cancer, and later down the line he feels like he's losing Kat. His essential moment of deciding it's time for him to set everything in motion comes not the moment before he learns of his prognosis, but rather before he learns that he and Kat are not meant to outlive every other marriage in the world. Strange how his motivation stems from something grand, and goes to something seemingly small thereafter.

I don't know if I'm giving Nolan too much credit in that regard, that the screenplay and the analysis are seen at scope with a palindromic essence. I wouldn't put it past him to have seen it that way when he wrote it in, though.

Anyway, back to the cheese (which I agree it is), it does feel slightly less cheesy knowing that both lines are in the movie together. His line later about not being able to have the world doesn't feel as overplayed by a villain unless you've heard it earlier that he plays everything with a selfish mindset through and through (even back when he couldn't have Kat), and the one with Kat doesn't feel as cheesy unless we witness later that he is seemingly having his entire world taken from him and that her wanting to leave feels like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hey, at least it gives him character.

KEM wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 3:00 pm
KEM wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Just got out of my 10th viewing!!!
see now you`re just flexing on me KEM, pls have mercy.
You’ll get there one day!!! Maybe we could all band together to smuggle you into the US for a viewing...
pls fly me in on a 747...

Guys, you have to remember that Sator is a middle-aged Russian boomer who got his money in an old-fashioned way of smuggling arms and nuclear materials. He's not speaking his native language too. of course, his manner of speech is going to be corny af.