TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

ninenin wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

1) You enter the machine (in the red chamber) at 12PM and activate it. 2) The machine teleports you from the red to the blue chamber but the process takes some time (10 hours?). 3) When you are fully reassembled at 10PM, you exit the machine on the other side (blue chamber). This 'new' version of you is made of a kind of matter that travels back in time, so immediately the world around you rewinds from your perspective (your body and thoughts still work in a "forward direction" from your own perspective). You don't react with surroundings in the usual way, because when you try to do something as basic as breathing the effects happen in reverse (so you need an oxygen mask to breathe). 4) If you want to go back to moving forward in time you must return to the machine when you first entered it (12:00PM) and jump back in to the blue chamber. 5) Once this happens you immediately revert to your "past" self in the red chamber and start moving forward in time. When you exit the machine, you see yourself from moments ago entering the machine on the blue side, only in reverse. The car in the infographic represents how others (non time travellers) appear to move from your perspective.

I think panel 5 in the above infographic is what we are seeing at the end of the trailer with the mystery-man in black SWAT gear reverse-jumping out at JDW from the machine. In the other side of the room, it appears someone also jumps out from the other chamber of the machine but moving forwards. That's the dude (forward-going guy) returning back to his normal forward time-line, only now there is a copy of him out there that was him from his journey back in time. That is why this copy appears to move backward in time. The machine allows you to manipulate events in the future, first from a backward direction. Then a second time in a forward direction. The second time, however, there will be another you, well rather was you during your trip backwards. If you were unhappy with something you did on the backwards pass, you can always interfere with your backwards self on the forward pass. What happens if you don't jump back into the machine in time to return in a forward going direction? You essentially end up in a 'Limbo-like' state (Inception reference) where you keep going backwards in time indefinitely until you run out of oxygen. That's why the tagline is 'time runs out'. Either you get your ass back to that machine when you first jumped in or you keep going back into oblivion.
This is awesome! Great job man! I have a bit similar theory
but it differs in how they actually travel the time back. I think that when you enter the red portal you immediately exit the blue one and from that point everything is going in reverse (you need oxygen mask to breathe). This reversed time flow is however just some kind of transition stage during which you "should" only observe the surroundings and the main point is to remain in reverse the amount of time that you need to travel back in time. When it comes to interacting with surroundings in reversed time, that remains the biggest mystery so far...but I agree with the point that your need to bring your own vehicles/guns through the portal in order to be able to use them in reversed time flow. Let's say you want to travel back in time 1hour...so you need to stay one hour in reverse and then come back with blue portal to exit the red one which will teleport you into the forward flowing time...By exiting the red portal you have just successfully travelled back in time 1 hour before your own self entered the time machine at the first place. Now you can interact with surroundings and change things...but you can also observe your own copy which will be walking in reverse the whole 1 hour before you entered blue portal...there would be lot of visual paradoxes which is the most confusing part :D

Ever since that "North by Northwest meets Inception" thing got out, I wanted to watch North by Northwest, as I've never seen it before. I didn't know much about the film other than a few iconic scenes, so I was a bit surprised by the overall atmosphere and tone of it. I know we never got confirmation whether the original leaked description was in any way true, but I could see some elements of North by Northwest popping up in Tenet material that we've seen so far. One is the costumes - I think this was pointed out by someone else before. JDW's outfit resembles Cary Grant's attire quite much, but this is just a small detail. A slightly bigger element emerges from the plot, and I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen North by Northwest, so I'll put it in spoiler tags. A Tenet prologue spoiler is also coming up here, so watch out if you don't want to see that:
The plot point I'm referring to is how the main villain is a rich guy with a blonde mistress who crosses paths with the main hero - the woman is forced to work with the villain as an undercover agent, and at first she seems to co-operate with the villain, but she falls in love with the main hero and works with him to take down - or, rather, escape - the villain.

The basic concept of North by Northwest - the mistaken identity concept - is not something I expect Tenet to take inspiration from. But it seems like Kenneth Branagh could be that rich guy with Elizabeth Debicki's blonde mistress at his side. We saw Debicki being somewhat relaxed around Branagh in the main trailer, but - and this is the spoiler for the prologue - we also saw her being held hostage by Branagh in the prologue montage. So the relationship between Branagh and Debicki kind of resembles the one seen in North by Northwest.

pk12 wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 3:56 am
ninenin wrote:

1) You enter the machine (in the red chamber) at 12PM and activate it. 2) The machine teleports you from the red to the blue chamber but the process takes some time (10 hours?). 3) When you are fully reassembled at 10PM, you exit the machine on the other side (blue chamber). This 'new' version of you is made of a kind of matter that travels back in time, so immediately the world around you rewinds from your perspective (your body and thoughts still work in a "forward direction" from your own perspective). You don't react with surroundings in the usual way, because when you try to do something as basic as breathing the effects happen in reverse (so you need an oxygen mask to breathe). 4) If you want to go back to moving forward in time you must return to the machine when you first entered it (12:00PM) and jump back in to the blue chamber. 5) Once this happens you immediately revert to your "past" self in the red chamber and start moving forward in time. When you exit the machine, you see yourself from moments ago entering the machine on the blue side, only in reverse. The car in the infographic represents how others (non time travellers) appear to move from your perspective.

I think panel 5 in the above infographic is what we are seeing at the end of the trailer with the mystery-man in black SWAT gear reverse-jumping out at JDW from the machine. In the other side of the room, it appears someone also jumps out from the other chamber of the machine but moving forwards. That's the dude (forward-going guy) returning back to his normal forward time-line, only now there is a copy of him out there that was him from his journey back in time. That is why this copy appears to move backward in time. The machine allows you to manipulate events in the future, first from a backward direction. Then a second time in a forward direction. The second time, however, there will be another you, well rather was you during your trip backwards. If you were unhappy with something you did on the backwards pass, you can always interfere with your backwards self on the forward pass. What happens if you don't jump back into the machine in time to return in a forward going direction? You essentially end up in a 'Limbo-like' state (Inception reference) where you keep going backwards in time indefinitely until you run out of oxygen. That's why the tagline is 'time runs out'. Either you get your ass back to that machine when you first jumped in or you keep going back into oblivion.
but it differs in how they actually travel the time back. I think that when you enter the red portal you immediately exit the blue one and from that point everything is going in reverse (you need oxygen mask to breathe). This reversed time flow is however just some kind of transition stage during which you "should" only observe the surroundings and the main point is to remain in reverse the amount of time that you need to travel back in time. When it comes to interacting with surroundings in reversed time, that remains the biggest mystery so far...but I agree with the point that your need to bring your own vehicles/guns through the portal in order to be able to use them in reversed time flow. Let's say you want to travel back in time 1hour...so you need to stay one hour in reverse and then come back with blue portal to exit the red one which will teleport you into the forward flowing time...By exiting the red portal you have just successfully travelled back in time 1 hour before your own self entered the time machine at the first place. Now you can interact with surroundings and change things...but you can also observe your own copy which will be walking in reverse the whole 1 hour before you entered blue portal...there would be lot of visual paradoxes which is the most confusing part :D
A reddit user had a very believable theory, is the OP among us? Has this been posted before?
https://www.reddit.com/r/tenet/comments ... s_and_why/

quervo wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 8:59 am
pk12 wrote:
ninenin wrote:

A reddit user had a very believable theory, is the OP among us? Has this been posted before?
All of these theories have similarities in how you walk into one side and emerge on the other. As well as accounting for why there appears to be a double at certain times.

However, they differ in mainly whether the traveller goes from present to past or from the future back to the present (as in my theory). The problem with going back to the past from the present is that it creates a potential for paradoxes, and if the movie tries to avoid paradoxes by forcing the characters to follow their "known destiny", there is no point in having the time machine. For example, in the reddit link you posted, the traveller sees himself exiting the machine on the other side before even entering on his side of the machine. He sees what he will do in the near future (on his journey back in time), but what if he changes his mind last second and decides not to enter the machine. Then he would never emerge from the other side which contradicts him seeing his double on the other side of the machine.. This is a glaring paradox. Now if you say because you saw yourself emerging from the other side, that means you are destined to enter the machine and you can't change that, then what is the point of the machine because you can't change the past. Whatever happened in the past must happen in order for you to enter the machine in the first place, so what we have is a never-ending self referential loop where nothing ever changes.

On the other hand, with my theory you would avoid such paradoxes because you aren't changing the past but influencing the future from two different directions: 1) in the reverse direction when you exit the machine in the future and return to the present and 2) influencing the future in the "normal" forward direction, when you start moving forward again. Even if you "know" what's going to happen on your second pass, moving forward, it won't necessarily create a paradox because the future still hasn't happened yet from your perspective and whatever you know or "changed" during your journey back can still be changed/undone. Hope that makes sense.

ninenin wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:27 am
quervo wrote:
pk12 wrote:

All of these theories have similarities in how you walk into one side and emerge on the other. As well as accounting for why there appears to be a double at certain times.

However, they differ in mainly whether the traveller goes from present to past or from the future back to the present (as in my theory). The problem with going back to the past from the present is that it creates a potential for paradoxes, and if the movie tries to avoid paradoxes by forcing the characters to follow their "known destiny", there is no point in having the time machine. For example, in the reddit link you posted, the traveller sees himself exiting the machine on the other side before even entering on his side of the machine. He sees what he will do in the near future (on his journey back in time), but what if he changes his mind last second and decides not to enter the machine. Then he would never emerge from the other side which contradicts him seeing his double on the other side of the machine.. This is a glaring paradox. Now if you say because you saw yourself emerging from the other side, that means you are destined to enter the machine and you can't change that, then what is the point of the machine because you can't change the past. Whatever happened in the past must happen in order for you to enter the machine in the first place, so what we have is a never-ending self referential loop where nothing ever changes.

On the other hand, with my theory you would avoid such paradoxes because you aren't changing the past but influencing the future from two different directions: 1) in the reverse direction when you exit the machine in the future and return to the present and 2) influencing the future in the "normal" forward direction, when you start moving forward again. Even if you "know" what's going to happen on your second pass, moving forward, it won't necessarily create a paradox because the future still hasn't happened yet from your perspective and whatever you know or "changed" during your journey back can still be changed/undone. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, I like yours, too. :) Still hurts my brain every time I see a new theory, but I like this pain. :D

Same, my brain hurts trying to comprehend it lol

I think the oxygen mask is also there for another reason. So we the audience easier can tell who is time traveling and who is not, on the screen.

Tho would be interesting if you could learn to breathe without the mask and still time travel. But then it would be too confusing for the audience. Maybe as the last plot twist, similar to the prestige or inception? :crazy:

quervo wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:48 am
ninenin wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 10:27 am
quervo wrote:

Yeah, I like yours, too. :) Still hurts my brain every time I see a new theory, but I like this pain. :D
I remember how my brain hurt that day when I was thinking about this whole time travel thing :D I see that the Reddit user's theory is identical to mine but with one major difference
the guy from Reddit claims that before you enter the time portal for the first time you see your own copy going inside the other portal in reverse, but I don't think that's true...cause it simply hasn't happened yet :D so you can only see things that happened only after you really used the time portal for the first time...meaning before you enter the red portal the other half of room with blue portal is empty. Only when you come back to the present then you can see your own copy going in reverse...only once you have already done it.