TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
gropercity wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 5:48 am
how will reversing time relate to the plot? i wonder. like they're literally moving things backward? im so very confused by what this is
Time travel doesn't necessarily mean like traveling back 500 years. Could simply mean having like minutes or seconds of time manipulation

I would think Chaos Theory plays a huge role in this. Changing one tiny "cause" to create a brand new "effect", manipulating outcomes. And it can be applied to any situation really. John Wilkes Booth's parents are about to meet each other for the first time at the local saloon, and you "accidentally" trip over a loose board on the floor precisely before the two of them ever make eye contact. Booth is never born, Lincoln is never shot, and then what?

Okay, my theory is that Nolan wouldn't make a film where time paradoxes are created by time travel plots (Interstellar just barely avoids those problems). So I was wondering how this could be resolved while STILL having a sort of 'travelling through / manipulating time' element to the story...
My first idea was that JDW cannot actually change the past (or future), he can merely re-visit it. Like, how about he's a "new kind of detective" where he can literally go back in time, but merely as a spectator, with no physical possibilities of changing anything. And that's when another idea hit me:

What if they aren't moving through time in the film - what if they're moving through memories? This may be too close to Inception, but I'm not sure it's an idea that's been explored in a sort of scientific way on film.

DHOPW42 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:05 pm
Okay, my theory is that Nolan wouldn't make a film where time paradoxes are created by time travel plots (Interstellar just barely avoids those problems). So I was wondering how this could be resolved while STILL having a sort of 'travelling through / manipulating time' element to the story...
My first idea was that JDW cannot actually change the past (or future), he can merely re-visit it. Like, how about he's a "new kind of detective" where he can literally go back in time, but merely as a spectator, with no physical possibilities of changing anything. And that's when another idea hit me:

What if they aren't moving through time in the film - what if they're moving through memories? This may be too close to Inception, but I'm not sure it's an idea that's been explored in a sort of scientific way on film.
I'd be totally cool with that if this was set in the same universe as Inception.

DHOPW42 wrote:

Actually this makes the most sense of all the theories so far. Dome powa! :D Only one little problem:
Reminiscence, which is going to be directed by Chris' sister-in-law, also deals with memories in a sci-fi environment. I doubt that two similar ideas will come out from the same movie-maker family.
My small theories:
Branagh will be the bad guy, Debicki will be his wife, while JDW will be a double-agent working for some kind of agency. Tenet could be either that agency or Branagh's group (maybe a cult?)

quervo wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:

Actually this makes the most sense of all the theories so far. Dome powa! :D Only one little problem:
Reminiscence, which is going to be directed by Chris' sister-in-law, also deals with memories in a sci-fi environment. I doubt that two similar ideas will come out from the same movie-maker family.
My small theories:
Branagh will be the bad guy, Debicki will be his wife, while JDW will be a double-agent working for some kind of agency. Tenet could be either that agency or Branagh's group (maybe a cult?)
Oh yeah, I didn't know what Reminiscence was about, so I looked it up on IMDb:

A scientist discovers a way to relive your past and uses the technology to search for his long lost love.

Yeah, well, I guess it would be quite the coincidence if both of these films went for the same exact premise :D

DHOPW42 wrote:

I really like this theory, do you have any idea what the oxygen masks are for ?

WTF on Imdb the release date in France is now 18 november 2020...

Collins wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 6:40 pm
WTF on Imdb the release date in France is now 18 november 2020...
This is why the teaser hasn't been released yet... :o

Ugh - They're not pushing the release for Oscar season, are they? :x