TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
AhmadAli95 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 6:22 pm
I haven't seen any of Shyamalan's films yet but that's how the industry is unfortunately - it's all about how much money films make. And yeah it's crazy. Nolan is just an incredible filmmaker who knows a lot about the craft and how to make good, complex yet very entertaining movies.
:shock:

Ace wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm
Emma said they actually thought that Dunkirk was going to be the film that broke the streak.
https://deadline.com/2018/02/dunkirk-em ... 202301349/
No, we definitely thought that this was going to be the one that killed us. This seemed like such an unlikely thing. It’s interesting because if you look at any of the movies that are nominees this year, until they succeed, they don’t look like obvious films to make, necessarily. Once you know that they’ve succeeded at the box office or critically, you sort of forget how risky they were, potentially, in the first place.

I certainly know that Sue Kroll and Blair Rich were looking at marketing the film when we first pitched it to them. I think that they, more than anyone, were shaking in their boots because it’s a hard film.

It’s interesting. I get very nervous. I guess Chris probably does, too, but I definitely feel the pressure of the streak. It has been an incredible run, and as I said, we thought this one was going to be the one that broke it. But it didn’t, so now the pressure’s really on. But I think that what we both feel very strongly is that when you have an opportunity, you have to take it.

Certainly I would feel a lot less worried about how the next one is going to do if we would’ve taken the safe bet instead of doing something we’ve done before.

I don’t know where we’ll go from here, but I’m getting a little nervous.

Yes, we’ve had an incredible arrangement with Warner Bros. every year. We don’t actually have a deal with them, so it’s not like we have to take projects to them, but we think they’ve really believed in us, and really backed us. These films have not been obvious films to make at all, and they’re not small films. But they really have always stepped up and believed in us, and allowed Chris an enormous amount of freedom creatively. That’s an incredible thing, and we’ve been incredibly lucky, but with that definitely does come a sense that because we don’t have a deal with them, we’re only as good as the last film that we’ve made. We don’t want to lose anybody money because we do want to keep making films. We don’t want to go to movie jail, and that entails a certain amount of responsibility and making choices that aren’t completely reckless. Risky, but not reckless. I think that’s the motto.
The self-awareness in that interview is at least partially the reason they haven't failed yet. That's probably also why WB trusts them so much. They know the Nolan producers are pretty self-restrained on budget issues and even on storytelling. As crazy as some of Nolan's films are, he never jumps completely off the deep end like David Lynch for instance.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Ace wrote:
Emma said they actually thought that Dunkirk was going to be the film that broke the streak.
https://deadline.com/2018/02/dunkirk-em ... 202301349/
No, we definitely thought that this was going to be the one that killed us. This seemed like such an unlikely thing. It’s interesting because if you look at any of the movies that are nominees this year, until they succeed, they don’t look like obvious films to make, necessarily. Once you know that they’ve succeeded at the box office or critically, you sort of forget how risky they were, potentially, in the first place.

I certainly know that Sue Kroll and Blair Rich were looking at marketing the film when we first pitched it to them. I think that they, more than anyone, were shaking in their boots because it’s a hard film.

It’s interesting. I get very nervous. I guess Chris probably does, too, but I definitely feel the pressure of the streak. It has been an incredible run, and as I said, we thought this one was going to be the one that broke it. But it didn’t, so now the pressure’s really on. But I think that what we both feel very strongly is that when you have an opportunity, you have to take it.

Certainly I would feel a lot less worried about how the next one is going to do if we would’ve taken the safe bet instead of doing something we’ve done before.

I don’t know where we’ll go from here, but I’m getting a little nervous.

Yes, we’ve had an incredible arrangement with Warner Bros. every year. We don’t actually have a deal with them, so it’s not like we have to take projects to them, but we think they’ve really believed in us, and really backed us. These films have not been obvious films to make at all, and they’re not small films. But they really have always stepped up and believed in us, and allowed Chris an enormous amount of freedom creatively. That’s an incredible thing, and we’ve been incredibly lucky, but with that definitely does come a sense that because we don’t have a deal with them, we’re only as good as the last film that we’ve made. We don’t want to lose anybody money because we do want to keep making films. We don’t want to go to movie jail, and that entails a certain amount of responsibility and making choices that aren’t completely reckless. Risky, but not reckless. I think that’s the motto.
The self-awareness in that interview is at least partially the reason they haven't failed yet. That's probably also why WB trusts them so much. They know the Nolan producers are pretty self-restrained on budget issues and even on storytelling. As crazy as some of Nolan's films are, he never jumps completely off the deep end like David Lynch for instance.
exactly

Ace wrote:
She talks about the box office success streak, right?

“Risky but not reckless.” So expect a bit of risk and something we haven’t really seen before folks!

Man, people forget that Nolan (and Emma of course) is an amazing producer, too. He's really modern cinema's biggest Triple Threat; writer/producer/director.

Forum Pro
Law
Interesting watch, but I don't think Nolan will revert back to sci-fi. He's gotta do something he hasn't done before to keep proving himself to be the best of the best.

Something like Heat would be so crazy (moreso than The Dark Knight). Just a three-hour, modern day L.A. epic where DiCaprio is a cop tracking down a bank robber played by Bale. Bank heists, shoot-outs, car chases, etc.

I think a "DiCaprio vs. Bale" showdown movie would be a blockbuster event.

So if we assume it's a $120m+++ blockbuster, there isn't that much he haven't already tried out that would fit the description to be honest. Other than natural disasters or alien monsters or something, which I think is unlikely. And it's definitely not a horror and I don't think he'll do another period piece already, so no westerns. Spy movie? Nope, Bond is coming later. I think the one thing that is completely new terrain and wouldn't be too farfetched is a musical. If it's not that, I think he will have a foot in a genre camp he's dealt with before.

Fantasy would also be a new genre for him, but I just can't see that happening either. Would be insane if we got a totally original fantasy story, but that just sounds too weird tbh.

I'm putting money on it being one of two things, either set in modern day:

A) An adventure/sci-fi movie kinda like Inception, but with a different thematic issue. My prediction is something in the lines of genetics or AI.

B) A comedic action movie. Big scale aerial shots and skyscrapers like in Mission Impossible, mix in some Edgar Wright visual comedy and some weird plot that only Nolan could make up.

Could he do a huge-budget biopic? If so, that'll be my long shot.