TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Hmm good read, interesting stuff

But seriously, why is JDW's character called Protagonist... That's weird man haha

antovolk wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 2:46 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 1:33 am
thanks and you're welcome guys. Hopefully EW will announce the July issue and give us HQ pics and quotes. I'm very surprised they haven't even advertised the feature yet lol
I'm guessing that's gonna happen today. EW don't announce in advance now, they just drop the full feature and photos online.

Thank you for getting your hands on these scans by the way!
They will drop the full feature online? Well that's nice to know. Turn on the Twitter notification now.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 3:59 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 2:15 am
The Special One wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 2:05 am

Really? that was in the article?
an abandoned city of destroyed building and rubble has been constructed from scratch, a vast set populated by hundreds of extras in military camouflage uniforms. As the day progresses, and the temperature climbs, two of the film's stars, John David Washington and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, repeatedly sprint down the road bifurcating the cityscape, Robert Pattinson, driving an armoured military vehicle, is in hot pursuit, he's followed by another truck holding both an IMAX camera and Nolan. The whole shebang is pretty much the most impressive Hollywood-financed flex you could hope to see. Even Nolan, 50 who has plenty of experience directing out-size movies- Interstellar, Inception and the Christian Bale - starring Dark Knight Trilogy - seems impressed. "The set would certainly rank as one of the largest-scale outdoor builds of all time," he says. "It's Colossal"
This is major spoilers...It kidda reminds me of Kingsman: The Golden Circle. If you have watched the movie, you will know what I mean.
Yeah 'Protagonist' and Neil don't really have a ring to it lol
To me I'm picturing the Skyfall opening sequence leading up to the train :lol: I just rewatched TDKR, looks like the Tallinn chase is similar but Nolan has upped it!

I mean I can handle 'Neil', but I'm just wondering what the function of the name 'Protagonist' is? Why would he be called that by other characters? Because he literally is the protagonist of the story and the other characters see him in that way too? That would be... fairly odd tbh

Willem wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 4:41 am
I mean I can handle 'Neil', but I'm just wondering what the function of the name 'Protagonist' is? Why would he be called that by other characters? Because he literally is the protagonist of the story and the other characters see him in that way too? That would be... fairly odd tbh
The article says that it's a codename. Just like Neil, isn't it?

I'm aware of that. But either way he will be referred to as Protagonist, that's my point

But I guess we'll see. Pretty sure there will be a logical explanation in the movie.

radewart wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:30 pm
Not able to read the scans yet, but they are releasing the movie without an score composed by an orchestral!!! This sounds terrible. I big key to any movie being good is the scores, but I think music has been an even bigger part of Nolan's film. Imagine "Inception" without Zimmer's great score. What are they doing instead? A bunch of synthesizers? This has me worried about the film.
No need to be worried. It’s not ideal but it can work very well. I’d be worried if it was a pure orchestral score (like Star Wars). The score (based on what we heard so far) already has so many heavily processed sounds, and is very heavy on guitars and synths.

Also, samples have come a long way. Zimmer wrote the entire Interstellar score with samples and at one point he wanted to just use that version of it. He made his own string sample library with Spitfire Audio for Dunkirk.
Listen to his X-periments album (demos for Dark Phoenix) none of it was recorded live.

One more thing, Inception was quite heavy on synths and guitars.

Tarssauce wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:00 am
No need to be worried. It’s not ideal but it can work very well. I’d be worried if it was a pure orchestral score (like Star Wars). The score (based on what we heard so far) already has so many heavily processed sounds, and is very heavy on guitars and synths.

Also, samples have come a long way. Zimmer wrote the entire Interstellar score with samples and at one point he wanted to just use that version of it. He made his own string sample library with Spitfire Audio for Dunkirk.
Listen to his X-periments album (demos for Dark Phoenix) none of it was recorded live.

One more thing, Inception was quite heavy on synths and guitars.
This probably put a damper on editing and more pressure on Jen Lame right? She's got to wait for the score to finalised before she can probably finish the edit. I've seen bts of Interstellar and Lee Smith sat in with Hans and Nolan working on the score.

Also I can't imagine how many things Nolan's mind is juggling right now between the theatres headache and a lot of this post production.The budget will likely increase and the process is much slower.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:14 am
This probably put a damper on editing and more pressure on Jen Lame right? She's got to wait for the score to finalised before she can probably finish the edit. I've seen bts of Interstellar and Lee Smith sat in with Hans and Nolan working on the score.
No, that’s not how it works. There are different cases depending on the movie, director and composer. Usually, the editor uses pre-existing music to edit with known as temp (as in temporary score). Then the temp score is replaced with the actual score. Composers usually prefer to work with locked cuts because their work is so precise any new picture cut, even a single frame cut or added shifts everything and they have to rework the music - or the music editor does it for them if it’s small enough of a task.

Nolan doesn’t do temp as in he gets the composer early and gets them to write suites (long demos and ideas) and he uses their original material as temp. In this case, Ludwig is waiting for Lame to provide him the final cut so he can finalize the score. Score and sound editing/mixing are usually the last to finish for the reasons I explained above.

Composers today are able to produce mockups that sound so close to the final recordings. So the recording sessions are only important to replace the synthetic orchestral parts with the live recordings.

KEM
Tarssauce wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:39 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:14 am
No, that’s not how it works. There are different cases depending on the movie, director and composer. Usually, the editor uses pre-existing music to edit with known as temp (as in temporary score). Then the temp score is replaced with the actual score. Composers usually prefer to work with locked cuts because their work is so precise any new picture cut, even a single frame cut or added shifts everything and they have to rework the music - or the music editor does it for them if it’s small enough of a task.

Nolan doesn’t do temp as in he gets the composer early and gets them to write suites (long demos and ideas) and he uses their original material as temp. In this case, Ludwig is waiting for Lame to provide him the final cut so he can finalize the score. Score and sound editing/mixing are usually the last to finish for the reasons I explained above.

Composers today are able to produce mockups that sound so close to the final recordings. So the recording sessions are only important to replace the synthetic orchestral parts with the live recordings.
100% correct