TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
rotas wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 8:50 pm
Created an account just for this reason:

After reading numerous posts and spending countless hours researching, here's a few theories and predictions...
We know that Nolan is going to incorporate the concept of time.
We have "Time has come for a new protagonist, Time has come for a new mission, Time runs out."
I believe somebody briefly touched on this but I would like to put emphasis on the word "time" in a literal sense. I believe that Time is actually going to be something tangible in the Tenet universe, hence Time has come and is literally coming after a new protagonist, time has come and is literally coming after a new mission, hinting that time may be the potential antagonist, similar to how Projections in Inception affected certain ops within dreams...
How will this be portrayed? I don't know.

My second theory focuses on the Sator/Rotas square.
There are 5 components that complete this square.

First, we have SATOR - nominative or vocative noun) (from serere=to sow) sower, planter, founder, progenitor (usually divine); originator; literally “seeder”

Next, we have AREPO - unknown, likely a proper name, either invented or, perhaps, of Egyptian origin, e.g. coded form of the name Harpocrates or Hor-Hap (Serapis).

Then we have TENET - (verb) (from tenere=to hold) he/she/it holds, keeps, comprehends, possesses, masters, preserves, sustains.

Followed by OPERA - (nominative, ablative or accusative noun) work, care, aid, labour, service, effort/trouble; (from opus): (nominative, accusative or vocative noun) works, deeds; (ablative) with effort.

And finally we have ROTAS - rotās, accusative plural of rota) wheels; (verb) you (singular) turn or cause to rotate.

Thought 1 - Nolan will incorporate these concepts into characters and potentially their names will start with the first letter of each of these concepts - each of them will represent one of these components.
The reason I believe this is because in Inception, the characters first letters of their names spell out DREAMS PAY.

Thought 2 - There may be a significance/symbolism in the word OPERA. We know that one of the confirmed shooting locations is the Oslo Opera House in Norway, so there may be some significance here, but the question is what will it be?

In terms of characters - I can see there being a character that embodies the definition of Sator (potentially JDW who was rumored to be the one who is able to jump from the past to the present and the future). He could be the originator, the planter, of whatever the conflict/plot is.

We have TENET, which will be a character who is responsible for sustaining, preserving something (probably preserving and sustaining Time? bc Time runs out, right?)

And then we have Rotas - the one who can manipulate (or rotate/bend) time. Also potentially the antagonist.

Character names could possibly start with the first letters of these words.

Another thing to note - the gas masks we see will definitely be an integral prop used by numerous characters throughout the film.

With all this being said, what if Tenet isn't a sequel, but a side-story that's in a mirror universe (building off of mirror universe theory from another post in this thread) of Inception or interstellar?

Just some absolutely crazy theories and thoughts but would love to here what y'all think.
Confirmed that the SATOR square will have significance in the plot of the movie. Check out the set gifts :)

I think that rumor about the movie being 'North by Northwest meets Inception' is
TRUE. Not literally but figuratively. I have a couple of things going through my mind.
1. I think, by Inception, the source of that rumor meant the mindbending mindf**k nature of the movie already indicated by the trailer. It didn't mean that the movie is an Inception sequel of a spin-off.
2. Now talking about the relationship with North by Northwest. I think it may be possible that JDW for don't know what fucking reason is being chased by an evil corporation (aka Branagh?) around the world (7 countries?). Also, they share the same love interest (Debicki?). The female character turning from being the helping hand of the antagonist to the love interest of the protagonist. Ring any bells?
I mean there's no f**king way that Nolan would completely rip off NbN and his own Inception.
3. WB neither confirmed nor denied the information. It was just taken down. No further official announcement regarding the synopsis. It also implies the fact that the rumor was kind of true.

rotas wrote:

After reading numerous posts and spending countless hours researching, here's a few theories and predictions...
We have "Time has come for a new protagonist, Time has come for a new mission, Time runs out."
I believe somebody briefly touched on this but I would like to put emphasis on the word "time" in a literal sense. I believe that Time is actually going to be something tangible in the Tenet universe, hence Time has come and is literally coming after a new protagonist, time has come and is literally coming after a new mission, hinting that time may be the potential antagonist, similar to how Projections in Inception affected certain ops within dreams...

First, we have SATOR - nominative or vocative noun) (from serere=to sow) sower, planter, founder, progenitor (usually divine); originator; literally “seeder”

Next, we have AREPO - unknown, likely a proper name, either invented or, perhaps, of Egyptian origin, e.g. coded form of the name Harpocrates or Hor-Hap (Serapis).

Then we have TENET - (verb) (from tenere=to hold) he/she/it holds, keeps, comprehends, possesses, masters, preserves, sustains.

Followed by OPERA - (nominative, ablative or accusative noun) work, care, aid, labour, service, effort/trouble; (from opus): (nominative, accusative or vocative noun) works, deeds; (ablative) with effort.

And finally we have ROTAS - rotās, accusative plural of rota) wheels; (verb) you (singular) turn or cause to rotate.

Thought 1 - Nolan will incorporate these concepts into characters and potentially their names will start with the first letter of each of these concepts - each of them will represent one of these components.
The reason I believe this is because in Inception, the characters first letters of their names spell out DREAMS PAY.

Thought 2 - There may be a significance/symbolism in the word OPERA. We know that one of the confirmed shooting locations is the Oslo Opera House in Norway, so there may be some significance here, but the question is what will it be?

In terms of characters - I can see there being a character that embodies the definition of Sator (potentially JDW who was rumored to be the one who is able to jump from the past to the present and the future). He could be the originator, the planter, of whatever the conflict/plot is.

We have TENET, which will be a character who is responsible for sustaining, preserving something (probably preserving and sustaining Time? bc Time runs out, right?)

And then we have Rotas - the one who can manipulate (or rotate/bend) time. Also potentially the antagonist.

Another thing to note - the gas masks we see will definitely be an integral prop used by numerous characters throughout the film.

With all this being said, what if Tenet isn't a sequel, but a side-story that's in a mirror universe (building off of mirror universe theory from another post in this thread) of Inception or interstellar?

Just some absolutely crazy theories and thoughts but would love to here what y'all think.
I love and have no trouble believing the idea that the Sator Square represents the characters in the film. Here is my (completely ignorant) theory of who's who:
SATOR - planter, originator (usually divine). I would guess this is Poesy. Perhaps she is a benevolent scientist who created the time manipulation tech (while trying to prevent World War 3). This may have happened decades before the central plot of the film (back when rotary phones were common). But her divine power to control time was stolen by a malevolent actor and must be returned.

AREPO - let's say it is a coded form of Harpocrates, god of silence, secrets and confidentiality. I guess this is Ciane. He is a mysterious man of godlike financial status who holds the secrets needed to defeat the threat.

TENET - one who preserves/comprehends/masters something. I think this will be JDW. The brave hero who has to use the Arepo's knowledge to restore the Sator's divine power. His hero's journey will involve him mastering time in order to preserve peace and order.

OPERA - one who works, goes to trouble, gives effort. I guess this is Pattinson (and he will be introduced by saving the Tenet at the Opera house!). He demonstrates to JDW how to do the work necessary for his quest. Whether that be scaling a building or reverse car chasing.

ROTAS - one who turns/rotates wheels. I guess this is Branagh. The antagonist weaponizing time tech. Not only does he rotate time and big vault doors that scare the heck out of JDW, but he turns the wheels of the plot because he is the one who stole the Sator's divine power to manipulate time.

Tenetdrome wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:08 pm
rotas wrote:

I love and have no trouble believing the idea that the Sator Square represents the characters in the film. Here is my (completely ignorant) theory of who's who:
SATOR - planter, originator (usually divine). I would guess this is Poesy. Perhaps she is a benevolent scientist who created the time manipulation tech (while trying to prevent World War 3). This may have happened decades before the central plot of the film (back when rotary phones were common). But her divine power to control time was stolen by a malevolent actor and must be returned.

AREPO - let's say it is a coded form of Harpocrates, god of silence, secrets and confidentiality. I guess this is Ciane. He is a mysterious man of godlike financial status who holds the secrets needed to defeat the threat.

TENET - one who preserves/comprehends/masters something. I think this will be JDW. The brave hero who has to use the Arepo's knowledge to restore the Sator's divine power. His hero's journey will involve him mastering time in order to preserve peace and order.

OPERA - one who works, goes to trouble, gives effort. I guess this is Pattinson (and he will be introduced by saving the Tenet at the Opera house!). He demonstrates to JDW how to do the work necessary for his quest. Whether that be scaling a building or reverse car chasing.

ROTAS - one who turns/rotates wheels. I guess this is Branagh. The antagonist weaponizing time tech. Not only does he rotate time and big vault doors that scare the heck out of JDW, but he turns the wheels of the plot because he is the one who stole the Sator's divine power to manipulate time.
Love this theory.

impressive work

Great theories. Definitely something there. Will see once the full cast list and character names are revealed.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm
I think that rumor about the movie being 'North by Northwest meets Inception' is
TRUE. Not literally but figuratively. I have a couple of things going through my mind.
1. I think, by Inception, the source of that rumor meant the mindbending mindf**k nature of the movie already indicated by the trailer. It didn't mean that the movie is an Inception sequel of a spin-off.
2. Now talking about the relationship with North by Northwest. I think it may be possible that JDW for don't know what fucking reason is being chased by an evil corporation (aka Branagh?) around the world (7 countries?). Also, they share the same love interest (Debicki?). The female character turning from being the helping hand of the antagonist to the love interest of the protagonist. Ring any bells?
I mean there's no f**king way that Nolan would completely rip off NbN and his own Inception.
3. WB neither confirmed nor denied the information. It was just taken down. No further official announcement regarding the synopsis. It also implies the fact that the rumor was kind of true.
WB did deny it, see the updated report below:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/201 ... witter.com

But I agree with you. It might just be INCEPTION meets North by Northwest.

It's nearly new year in my country so Happy New Year fellows! 2019 has been exciting as we follow every little bits of the project and now we are officailly about to enter the year of TENET.

LET'S BULID THIS GODDAMN HYPE TRAIN.

So um,

I had a weird dream

I was in a movie theater (ridiculously large, insane) and they were going to play a new film. It looked like a mash up of Interstellar and Tenet and something else, more horror-like. It started in a large field and had several letters in the shape of fireworks shaping up, very large, it were four letters with T and O shapes or something I couldn't make much of it. Then we were in a sort of Endurance like space-ship but in some kind of other dimension where things seemed flat at first but were actually round and so on. It looked like we were suddenly in space but everything had such weird shapes. There were cuts back and forth to the movie theater and the world that was being projected.

I don't even know why I'm posting this here. But it was so lucid, so vibrant and so fucking weird.

Sorry to post this here. Anyway would any of you by chance know what kind of watch is Washington's character wearing in the movie? Thanks in advance.