TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
That's true, but you have to admit that many people have not heard of this movie. At least not enough to make $1 billion.
Of course, but that's the case for every* original film. It will depend on word of mouth, early buzz, and investment/ingenuity in marketing. On the latter part WB have been on the money so far! They need to give the general audience more about the story in the next trailer, but for now those first opaque trailers, and that amazing prologue, does the job in getting people curious

Tenet is a major swing for WB and Nolan, that's for sure. Let's not forget that very, very few original films crosses the $500 million mark, so it's crazy to expect this making $1 billion.

Robin wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm
That's true, but you have to admit that many people have not heard of this movie. At least not enough to make $1 billion.
Of course, but that's the case for every* original film. It will depend on word of mouth, early buzz, and investment/ingenuity in marketing. On the latter part WB have been on the money so far! They need to give the general audience more about the story in the next trailer, but for now those first opaque trailers, and that amazing prologue, does the job in getting people curious

Tenet is a major swing for WB and Nolan, that's for sure. Let's not forget that very, very few original films crosses the $500 million mark, so it's crazy to expect this making $1 billion.
$200+ million budget, new Nolan original film to start of the decade with a bang, I'm sure they want to make $1 billion, just like Inception.

Robin wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm
[it's crazy to expect this making $1 billion.
Only because it Image

Forum Pro
I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a commercial or two during NBA All Star Weekend. If I remember correctly Dunkirk had a commercial during the 2017 All Star weekend.

Joshua Strong wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:48 pm
I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a commercial or two during NBA All Star Weekend. If I remember correctly Dunkirk had a commercial during the 2017 All Star weekend.
that would be cool

Any guesses on major influences here? I mean specifically, not just James Bond films. Stalker seems to be significant, and North By Northwest.

I just realized John David Washington's character is wearing a grey suit that looks remarkably like Cary Grant's grey suit in North By Northwest.

And yes, I'm embarrassed that I just noticed that. :facepalm:

Angus wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 9:34 pm
I just realized John David Washington's character is wearing a grey suit that looks remarkably like Cary Grant's grey suit in North By Northwest.

And yes, I'm embarrassed that I just noticed that. :facepalm:

The boat stuff is giving me a Lady from Shanghai and a Miami Vice (the movie) vibe. I think someone already mentioned Tony Scott's Deja vu.

So far, we got:
North by Northwest
Lady from Shanghai
Miami Vice
Deja Vu
Stalker
Bond movies
...and then all the stuff Nolan himself will cite when the movie comes out.

Not necessarily connected to the movie itself, but has anyone read Recursion by Blake Crouch? Crouch has written some solid fiction like Wayward Pines (also adapted as a series by Fox, it kinda reads like a mix of Lost, Twin Peaks and Alan Wake) and Dark Matter, which was universally acclaimed. Bit of trivia, two of his favorite sci-fi movies, that inspired him are Inception and Memento.

His latest novel, released in summer 2019 is called Recursion and it also got some nice reviews.

Recursion, is a mind-bending, breathtaking sci-fi thriller that explores memory and what it means to be human. In this twisty recent release, society is plagued by a strange condition dubbed False Memory Syndrome. Sufferers experience vivid memories of a life they could have led — memories so at odds with lived experience that it drives some to suicide. As cop Barry Sutton investigates the death of one FMS victim, he'll cross paths with scientist Helena Smith, whose newest invention has world-shattering ramifications.

We essentially live in our memories—past and present. What if we were to alter the way in which our brain processes and remembers reality? The result is a high-stakes and surprisingly organic story with characters the reader cares about: an NYPD detective and a scientist who's devoted her life to Alzheimer's research and experimentation.

Bending time, traveling through time, trying to fix time, and trying to fix things that would fix time, while holding onto your human feelings that are the only things tethering you to this earth by that point.

Crap.

End of Part One was promissing and that's it. I expected something more personal and intimate (father&daughter thing) but the rest is just "oh no, we have to save the world".
Dull waste of time.

But the very idea of time travel is quite interesting.
They put you into some kind of pool and they basicaly kill you - you're about to die. And in that state when your brain is DMT'ized you think very strongly about some memory in your past and boom you're there. Then lets say you prevent some 'famous' disaster like 9/11 and when you reach the very date people generally loosing their mind. By messing to much with time (by creating new timelines) we create false memories - people know that something should or shouldn't happen. Somethng like that.