TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I think Nolan's exposition has only been a noticeable "issue" in Inception.

And I still give Inception a pass, because it's complicated stuff. There are still people out there who don't even understand that movie at a basic level. So I can't imagine that film with less explanation, haha.

There's a challenge of wanting the audience to actually have FUN and ENJOY the film without just sitting there scratching their heads for two hours. It's still a piece of entertainment at its fundamental level. It's popcorn, not a migraine.

People have bills to pay, man. They work at shitty jobs. Their kids are screaming at three in the morning. They don't want to decipher the mechanics of a screenplay like we do. We're the weird ones. I say that with peace and love.

The opposite end of Nolan's spectrum for exposition is basically a silent film, lol. I certainly don't want that. I'm much more pleased with what we've gotten as opposed to the alternative.

Oh, we're definitely the weird ones. Anyone who is on a message board talking about a movie is the "weird one." Casual moviegoers won't give a damn about the exposition in Inception, and they love the film. For the most part, it's a win. The Academy is another exception entirely, but they too are the weird ones. The exposition concerns, though, are partly why I wish Inception was a two-filmed arc with Extraction as the original and Inception as the sequel, because they could expand the rules slowly and basically whilst getting a lot of character in the films at the same time.

No one is saying that being less expository means making a silent film, not at all. Ocean's Eleven is a good example of this, since it is a heist film in an attempt to screw over a corporate head much to the charms of a female potentially bent to indirectly foil the operation based upon one's decisions to play close to the chest. O11 has a lot of talking, as do O12 and O13. Most of the time, the talking is even regarding the plot itself. They never appear to succumb under my #1 and #2 items listed in my previous post, though. When Danny and Tess speak in the restaurant about their past, it sounds like an ex-couple having a conversation, and it sounds like they have/had a life outside of the film's chronology.

Sure, not all eleven heist members are filled out as much as Danny, Rusty, and Linus... but I can give you their quirks and traits, and could've anticipated some of their next movies in O12 and O13 based on who I know they are. I cared about their state of being quite a bit. And it's not like I don't for Inception, but I cared those pieces remained intact for the larger goal, and that alone. That's fine, because that was Nolan's intent. Same went for Dunkirk. He decides to characterize in different ways than other writers/directors. Admittedly, we did hit a changeup with Interstellar and although I could feel out the characters, I still had a slight hinge of emotional emptiness in comparison to what I felt he tried to weigh heavily upon. Honestly, I think the score overlays have a lot to do with that, but since that helps create compelling cinema I'm willing to let it slide. But I digress.

Screenwriting is not easy. Making exposition not sound like exposition takes a lot of craft. Some don't see the need to avoid that bit strictly by design, and others simply aren't good at it; Nolan falls into the former, and the latter is normally a set of overall very bad films that even a director couldn't save. Don't worry, no one here is labeling him a hack or anything. I'm surprised I'm seemingly berating his style as much as I am right now because I've adorned his work to the end of the universe and back, and cannot wait to see what his next spectacle is. But if he wants to iron out some of his expository materials, I think that Jonathan needs to be a part of this for that to happen. People don't radically shift their ways that easily. Lord knows I haven't.

EDIT: I've decided to add Fischer as a well-versed character in Inception as well, maybe even more so than Cobb actually.

I simply can't see a future where we know what this stupid movie is.

I think we're frozen in time somehow. Or stuck in limbo.

Insomniac wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:13 pm
I simply can't see a future where we know what this stupid movie is.

I think we're frozen in time somehow. Or stuck in limbo.
LIMBO?!

*cue expository dialogue*

:judge:

In case anyone here doesn't know what Limbo means, it's unconstructed dream space. It's raw, infinite subconscious. Nothing is there except for anything left behind by someone who's been trapped there before. You could be stuck there for decades. It could be infinite. You're stuck there until yout brain turns to scrambled egg.

Angus wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 8:38 am
In case anyone here doesn't know what Limbo means, it's unconstructed dream space. It's raw, infinite subconscious. Nothing is there except for anything left behind by someone who's been trapped there before. You could be stuck there for decades. It could be infinite. You're stuck there until yout brain turns to scrambled egg.
To wake up from that after, after years, after decades... after we'd become old souls thrown back into youth like that... I knew something was wrong with her. She just wouldn't admit it.

Honestly, the longer it takes without them announcing what the project is, the more I'm gonna believe it's a sequel to something (possibly Inception). If it's an original project they are going to have to announce it before we get the initial posters/teaser (so before August), to make as many people aware as possible and give the effect of two different, big announcements on separate occasions.

But if it's a known IP it might be more effective to announce the whole thing together with some sort of marketing material/footage. Idk though, might be me overthinking it.

Btw, explaining what Limbo is on a Chris Nolan forum :facepalm:

Sanchez wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm
Honestly, the longer it takes without them announcing what the project is, the more I'm gonna believe it's a sequel to something (possibly Inception). If it's an original project they are going to have to announce it before we get the initial posters/teaser (so before August), to make as many people aware as possible and give the effect of two different, big announcements on separate occasions.

But if it's a known IP it might be more effective to announce the whole thing together with some sort of marketing material/footage. Idk though, might be me overthinking it.

Btw, explaining what Limbo is on a Chris Nolan forum :facepalm:
Absolutely not, it's a new original film with a new original idea by his own.
The fact that they aren't reveal what it is yet is not problematic and means nothing, except two things, in my opinion :
Nolan has changed, his ambition gets bigger and bigger every time, he wants to create/bring something new and different to the audiences and it requires a lot of works and preparations.

The fact that he hasn't announce it yet can just means that he stills tuck with a lot of work and preparation (according to what Pattinson recently said), and that he's simply not ready to announce it yet, and also because they might want to create a big buzz, to make a splash with it, I think it's just because of that.

Nolan depends on nothing, maybe he doesn't want to announce his project yet, and just release some informations little by little, to create the buzz (which is already very big/substantial), and when he'll be ready, announcing the full thing.
And maybe he's just preserving his intimacy and artistic integrity.

Well, that's what I think, personally ;)

And just a fact : they made the same strategy with Dunkirk, the same interval/period of time, they revealed the full thing exactly two months after they just announced the release date only (we're still in April, two months after the release date announcement). Probably means nothing :lol: but just to say that it can be the same strategy.

So, there was some "art" floating around on 4chan, but I highly doubt it's real.

... annnnd now I can't find it.

EDIT: Found it. http://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/113262026

Someone commented that it's real.

I... I don't know. Probably not.
Last edited by Angus on April 21st, 2019, 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.