TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Those IMAX stills are indeed very delicious

Great read, I don't get that part about 2D lol but the way using pre-viz helped them fully grok the car sequence for instance is really cool. Also the part about the inverted/uninverted shots sharing the same space.

Nomis wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 4:37 pm

Great read, I don't get that part about 2D lol but the way using pre-viz helped them fully grok the car sequence for instance is really cool. Also the part about the inverted/uninverted shots sharing the same space.
It’s like Photoshop for video basically (comping/composition). For example: they shot the audience sitting in their seats and then shot the explosions without the audience in the frame and combined the two together to create the final shot with the help of VFX. But most elements were captured in camera.

I slightly got confused reading some parts lol. Forwards and backwards...
I think some shots were done with stunt people moving backwards but the shot is used without any kind of post manipulation, compared to other parts where the perspective changes with which direction you play the footage.

Glad that we now know how they achieved THAT shot - because whenever I see it my brain explodes into a million pieces.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to read/watch behind-the-scenes stuff for this movie. When I learned that the downed plane in the oil spill in Dunkirk was supported by essentially a crane arm, that's all I can now "see" when watching that shot. Things like that.

Tarssauce wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 5:12 pm
Nomis wrote:

It’s like Photoshop for video basically (comping/composition). For example: they shot the audience sitting in their seats and then shot the explosions without the audience in the frame and combined the two together to create the final shot with the help of VFX. But most elements were captured in camera.

I think some shots were done with stunt people moving backwards but the shot is used without any kind of post manipulation, compared to other parts where the perspective changes with which direction you play the footage.

Glad that we now know how they achieved THAT shot - because whenever I see it my brain explodes into a million pieces.
Oh that's how. Aight.

Yeah ikr that shot is quite something

@muffin: it's still pretty damn impressive that they shot it like that. I was there when they shot it and my god was it a sight to behold, just one take but man, goosebumps

Tarssauce wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 5:12 pm
Nomis wrote:

What is THAT shot?

speedy117 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 7:25 pm
What is THAT shot?
Red team and Blue team blowing up that building in Stalsk-12.

Tarssauce wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 7:47 pm
speedy117 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 7:25 pm
What is THAT shot?
Red team and Blue team blowing up that building in Stalsk-12.
Ahh ok that's what I thought

Very good article :gonf: Makes me wanna watch it again right now. Fuck, I think I’m in love with this movie

Tenet has taught us a lesson when it comes to Nolan: don't give him a comicbook movie siezed budget for his original films. Dunkirk and Interstellar cost a lot less than Tenet but both were better than Tenet in every regard.

The Dark Knight Rises ($250 million) and Tenet (originally $225m, finished with $200m) are his worst films. Dunkirk (around $100m) and his previous work before Batman Begins are all less than that.

Nolan works best in the $100-150 million range. Tenet clearly shows that he needs constraint. Warner Bros won't interfere with his scripts because they don't want him to go somewhere else and his crew won't either. The constraint HAS to be the budget.

Right.

There is a budget threshold where once past the films making starts getting worst.

That makes sense.