TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
dsus4gtr wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Hope the pieces continue to fall into place! Can't wait to see Tenet!

While we're waiting, please forgive me for entering this outside of the general entertainment section, but since many have referenced Hitchcock's North by Northwest can anyone name another director who has had a string of 4 masterpieces in a row like Hitch such as: Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds? And, will a run of 4 masterpieces in a row ever be duplicated?
Francis Ford Coppola

The Godfather
The Conversation
The Godfather: Part II
Apocalypse Now

dsus4gtr wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Hope the pieces continue to fall into place! Can't wait to see Tenet!

While we're waiting, please forgive me for entering this outside of the general entertainment section, but since many have referenced Hitchcock's North by Northwest can anyone name another director who has had a string of 4 masterpieces in a row like Hitch such as: Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds? And, will a run of 4 masterpieces in a row ever be duplicated?
David Fincher: Zodiac, Social Network, Girl with Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl (Benjamin Button in between that wasn't very good)

Nolan: Memento, Prestige, Batman Triology, Inception, excluding Insomnia because I don't consider it his best work.

Guess I don't need to mention the name Stanley Kubrick.

4 seems like an easy number. There are tons of directors that can make that.

David Lean got five:
Bridge on the River K'wai
Lawrence of Arabia
Doctor Zhivago
Ryan's Daughter
A Passage to India

this isn't the place for it but its 11 and there's no news anyway. these imo are the great runs of film history, leaving out a bunch:

Andrei Tarkovsky - Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker
Stanley Kubrick - Pretty much his whole god damn career
James Cameron - T1, Aliens, The Abyss, T2 / Titanic & Avatar
PTA - There Will Be Blood, The Master, Inherent Vice, Phantom Thread
Chris Nolan - *whisper voice* pretty much his whole career?
Akira Kurosawa - Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low
Michalangelo Antonioni - L'Avventura, La Notte, L'Eclisse, Red Desert
Quentin Tarantino - Hasn't made a movie that isn't great.
Denis Villeneuve- Besides Enemy,Incendies, Prisoners, Sicario, Blade Runner 2049
Wong Kar Wai - Fallen Angels, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, 2046
Hayao Miyazaki - Nearly all masterpieces
Francis Ford Coppola - The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now
Alfonso Cuarón - Y Tu Mamá También, Prisoner of Azkaban, Gravity, Roma
Satoshi Kon - Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Paranoia Agent (TV), Paprika
Sergio Leone - A Fistfull Of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West
Bong Joon-ho - Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer, Okja, Parasite
Brian De Palma - Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Body Double, Scarface, Body Double
Krzysztof Kieślowski - The Double Life of Véronique, Blue, White, Red
Jean-Pier Melville - Le Deuxième Souffle, Le Samouraï, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge
Jules Dassin - Naked City, Thieves Highway, Night and the City, Rififi

plenty of others too of course. mods can stick this somewhere else if they want to.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:00 am
this isn't the place for it but its 11 and there's no news anyway. these imo are the great runs of film history, leaving out a bunch:

Andrei Tarkovsky - Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker
Akira Kurosawa - Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low
Denis Villeneuve- Besides Enemy,Incendies, Prisoners, Sicario, Blade Runner 2049
Francis Ford Coppola - The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now
Sergio Leone - A Fistfull Of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West
Bong Joon-ho - Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer, Okja, Parasite
Jean-Pier Melville - Le Deuxième Souffle, Le Samouraï, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge

plenty of others too of course. mods can stick this somewhere else if they want to.

-Vader
Awesome list.

I have respect for Solaris because I think it has very good parts but damn it sitting through that highway scene was hard for me. I’m ok with long shots if they have a purpose but I felt that wasn’t really important to the whole film. Now, Stalker was better; I really liked it.

Vader182 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:00 am

-Vader
Best post since a long time :gonf:

Tarkovsky, Kieślowski, Melville, yes yes yes. I wanna add two contemporary female filmmakers, who I think have great careers so far and highly recommend.

Lynne Ramsay: You Were Never Really Here, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Morvern Callar, Ratcatcher;

Kelly Reichardt: Certain Women, Night Moves, Meek's Cutoff, Wendy and Lucy.

You guys make me ashamed im so lazy watching movies, havent even seen 30% of what you`ve writen, bigger offense as im a DP.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 4:36 am
You guys make me ashamed im so lazy watching movies, havent even seen 30% of what you`ve writen, bigger offense as im a DP.
That tattoo clip on vimeo was interesting.