TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
The questions asked during that live chat were actually pretty decent overall. I appreciated that Nolan went into a little more detail on his writing process and how he goes about rewriting/editing his work.

I was also pleased to hear that he actually seems interested in making a horror film eventually. He tends to hedge a lot in his answers to other questions, but his response of "definitely" to that question in particular was encouraging. It was interesting when he suggested that truly great horror films are rare, and that it's difficult to devise a great scenario that justifies the time to make one. While he said that he's not in a rush to make a horror film, it's still nice to know that, in his words, it's on his mind and is interested in exploring it at some point. 

indeed, his confidence in his response to the horror film question makes me believe he definitely has some "things" he wants to try with that, maybe even a proto script laying somewhere.

If he does a horror film, then he needs to tap back into his Following-Memento-Insomnia filmmaking techniques.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind Hans Zimmer scoring, only because he did The Ring. However, I don't think I'd want another bombastic score going on again in that realm. And for the love of god, keep away the IMAX cameras.

Actually the Tenet teaser first impression had me thinking that Chris has finally freed himself from a science class

Teaser used 'wait..there there is something not right with this sequence' to an advantage

In the movie protagonist warns Neil 'Don't touch them!! [bullet holes]'

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 21st, 2020, 4:19 am
If he does a horror film, then he needs to tap back into his Following-Memento-Insomnia filmmaking techniques.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind Hans Zimmer scoring, only because he did The Ring. However, I don't think I'd want another bombastic score going on again in that realm. And for the love of god, keep away the IMAX cameras.
I disagree. There are many characteristics and techniques from his other movies (including Dunkirk) that he could use in a horror film should Nolan ever decide to do one.

Not for me, keep the IMAX cameras coming. And it’ll be whatever he wants it to be at the end of the day instead of what we would like or not. Whether it works to the best of its potential or not then that will be a different discussion, in my opinion at least.

I’ve imagined for some time that a horror film made by Nolan could be something with certain vibes like Get Out, Us, 1408, It Follows (in terms of original idea and its fictional rules) the shining, Jacob's ladder and in the mouth of madness. Perhaps a little bit of the exorcist and silence of the lambs. Or I could be totally wrong but it’s just the feeling I get :P

Dunkirk already is essentially a kafka-esque sensory horror movie.

-Vader

His answer about the lack of background for the protagonist is interesting, but I think explains why the approach to the character didn't work as well as it should. He talks about Sergio Leone's films, especially the trilogy with Eastwood, but in these films, we have lots of scenes without the main character. There is a broader story, in which the character is thrown. Whereas in Tenet, there is almost no scene in the first hour without the Protagonist, so he really is our one way into this story.

An interesting way to not give infos about the protagonist but give him more flesh would have been
to insist on his sacrifice. He joins Tenet an organisation without any way out, once you're in, it's for life, and the test to join is not really enjoyable. Whereas in CIA, he had a way out. He could retire, get married, etc...
He renounces that by joining Tenet, but when he joins, he doesn't really have a choice, since he doesn't exist anymore. He could be very angry about the life that was taken from him. His choice to join which appeared not to have been his own.
And at the end, he discovers that he was the one to make that sacrifice, he's the one who built the test. It also speaks about free-will, because his future self has no choice to protect reality than to force his past self to join Tenet. So did he ever really chose that life? There are lots of interesting stuff here, but the film never insists about it.
Without saying anything big, he did say a lot of interesting things during that conference.

wait so you are saying theres no Hot Fuzz style epic intro to John David`s character ala Nicholas Angel ?? ok hype killed : c

Haven't followed the news lately, but are Nolan and WB kinda breaking up or what?