TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Ace wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 2:05 pm

:clap:

Nolan reuniting with Alan Horn at Disney is certainly possible.

What about Sony? A similar deal to what Tarantino got. Or Paramount?

Damn it, WB was THE STUDIO.

brickarts295 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 3:46 pm
blackColumn wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:52 am
Studio execs are not thrilled that Nolan's films have consistently grossed less and less at Box office starting with TDKR.
That seems unlikely:
-TDKR was the end of a successful BATMAN trilogy of films and a sequel to TDK.
-Before that Inception made big money because it came out of the hype from TDK,had big star power with Leo and it was an entertaining summer blockbuster.
-I'm convinced Paramount did a poor job properly marketing Interstellar in the states, despite that, the film did pretty darn good for the type of genre that it was.
-Same goes for Dunkirk, its the highest grossing WW2 film.
-Tenet was pretty much meant to be a $500m+ grossing film.

I can't see WB burning bridges with Nolan but I can see the opposite happening if another studio comes in.
Indeed. The circumstances. The reason studios are moving to streaming is that it is immune to many of these circumstantial problems and brings in steady cash flow. That's how they are thinking about it.

Ace
Total Film magazine named Tenet the film of 2020 in the latest issue.

Nolan on trusting the audience with Tenet.
I’ve had a lot of good fortune trusting that the audience is up for something new, in the same way that I’m up for something new. I make films that I would be excited to see as a moviegoer, and I try to be the audience for that film.
And so, you know, people have asked me a lot over the years about new films: ‘You’re showing a lot of trust in the audience’, and so forth. It’s a tricky question because the only way I know how to work is that I am part of the audience. The audience is me.
We’re all together.
When I go and see a particular genre of film or a particular scale of film, I have particular expectations about the ride that it can take me on. And so I certainly felt very confident that we were ticking those boxes with Tenet.
There’s an extraordinary amount of action, and it’s on a very big scale.
“I always wanted to make that easy to follow the first time you see the film, so that if you do - as Clémence recommends - sit back and kind of enjoy the ride, there’s entertainment, and there’s a fun experience to be had there.
That was always very important to me in making Tenet. The underlying complexities and the degree to which people can be bothered to wrestle with them, or want to - that sort of varies greatly from person to person.
What I did want to have was that you had a fun experience, and that everyone had a very exciting experience.
Interview with Nolan from the issue.
You’ve talked before about how when you’re making a film, you don’t know what kind of world it’ll be released into. Tenet must be the most extreme example of that?
Yeah! I mean, there’s really no way of knowing, when you work for years on a film, what kind of world it’ll be coming out into.
With Tenet, certainly, coming out in 2020 was a very extreme version. But any time you take on a project that takes years to make, there’s always that tension between the world in which you conceive the film, and the world in which you release the film.

How did you conceptualise the time inversion in the film?
There’s a lot of Post-it notes, a lot of doodles, a lot of everything really. I was drawing a lot of diagrams. It’s something I’ve done for years, really. Probably since Following...I gravitate towards a lot of diagrams. I stick a lot of stuff up on walls, and spend a lot of time puzzling it out before I write. And then as a I write, I try to really be part of the audience. I try to really let the story flow. I try to really write the experience for the audience, and experience that for myself as I write.

Tenet works so elegantly on screen but is quite hard to explain on paper. Was it particularly challenging to share the film in your head with your collaborators?
Very much. What I loved about this premise, and what kept me going with it, is that it doesn’t really work on the page. It doesn’t even work to explain it.
You actually have to see it cinematically. That’s based on the fact that the camera can see time. The camera can see something and manipulate something that we can’t in ordinary life. We can see things see things run backwards with the camera. We can see things run slowly or fast with a camera. So what you’re working on, for me, is really a big prize for any filmmaker: you’re finding a subject that can really only work as a film.

Your films always invite rewatched. Are you expecting Tenet to have particularly fervent rewinding and freeze-framing?
Yes. It’ll hit the home circuit, and I think it’ll be fascinating, because when you show it to people in a cinema, the great advantage as a filmmaker is that people can’t rewind the film. and check what it is you’ve done. We had that in mind as we were editing the film, and we tried to be very consistent and very careful as we’re putting it all together.
But at the end of the day, you never want to sacrifice the flow of the actual experience for the scrutiny that some fans might give it once they have it in their hands. And that’s a balance. But I feel that we put a lot of care and attention into how it was put together. If people want to really analyse that and take that apart, I’m grateful for the attention [laughs].

Have you been amused by any of the fan theories that have sprung up so far?
It’s always fun when you’ve made something that people are interested to debate and discuss and come up with theories. The wonderful thing about an audience’s response to the work that you’ve put there, and the filmmaker, is that there are all kinds of things that you’re hoping that people will notice and that they’ll respond to, but you just have no idea what people are going to come up with, and how they’re going to interpret things.

Outside of the Dark Knight trilogy, you haven’t done sequels. Do you see Tenet remaining a stand-alone experience or would you ever consider revisiting the concept or The Protagonist?
I don’t really want to answer that question.[laughs] I’m not going to. The answer I’ll give you is: the choice to do a sequel or not to do a sequel is not based on any kind of principle of whether I do sequels or not. Each project is assessed on its own merit.

He is a storyteller who transcends mediums.

I found this funny because I can see him saying 'Hope not. We are filmmakers we are commited to making films' :lol:

the podcast is up and totally worth a listen, loads of new and fun stuff

God I love this man