TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
After seeing tenet i'm already excited for Nolan's next movie :lol: :lol:

Wow the huge drop from Dunkirk. Not even in a nightmare I would've imagined it, a shock for me-

Congratulations to everyone who wanted the movie to be released on this climate. Now the movie will be forgotten in a few months in favour of Dune and Warner is going to spend all the money campaigning for Dune obviously. SaVing CINeMA my ass ... if the word of mouth is bad is going to be the final nail in the coffin (I hope not)
*told you so*

:think: :think: :think:

Lincoln wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 12:13 am
Wow the huge drop from Dunkirk. Not even in a nightmare I would've imagined it, a shock for me-

Congratulations to everyone who wanted the movie to be released on this climate. Now the movie will be forgotten in a few months in favour of Dune and Warner is going to spend all the money campaigning for Dune obviously. SaVing CINeMA my ass ... if the word of mouth is bad is going to be the final nail in the coffin (I hope not)
*told you so*
This is clearly a bad faith shit post, but I do think pushing Tenet in all its even-less-accessible-than-Dunkirk incomprehensible glory into theaters at this time was a fatal and hubristic move on the part of Nolan and WB.

-Vader

Oku
Yeah, having now seen the film to my heart's content, I wish that they had pushed the release until July 2021 :lol: so that it won't bomb and he can continue to get these big budgets without any strings attached

Oh well, too late for that

Oku wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 7:19 am
Yeah, having now seen the film to my heart's content, I wish that they had pushed the release until July 2021 :lol: so that it won't bomb and he can continue to get these big budgets without any strings attached

Maybe thats a good thing. Because Nolan this time clearly failed to invent characters, that we can root for. The Protagonist is flat and one dimensional. Other characters are not really better (besides Kat). The actors did their best. But thats just not enough. Maybe a small scale movie with not so big spectacle could Nolan push for better screenwriting. Also the editing was really bad (but maybe thats more of Jennifer Lames fault). He just lost himself in those crazy ideas, that he forget basic filmmaking elements. Maybe it's the perfect time for the Hughes Biopic.

But I don't see anywhere soon that WB punishes Nolan for the box office performance. It will not bomb (I can totally see at least 500 million). WB just has DC and Harry Potter. If they loose Nolan to the rivals, they have fewer brands for earning big money. Nolan can still do whatever he wants. And maybe thats the biggest problem.

I know that people can have different opinions on the same matter, but categorically stating that Nolan has "lost himself in those crazy ideas" and forgot "basic filmmaking elements" sounds just plain wrong. And I think it couldn't be further from the truth, and I'm pretty sure that the studio doesn't look at Tenet in that way, even if it makes only a few bucks, even if bad reviews are coming out. The studio shouldn't "punish" Nolan for anything, it sounds quite ridiculous. Why would you want to alienate the one guy on your team, in 2020, who is well-known for his original, thought-provoking ideas and approaches to blockbuster cinema? Just because a number of reviews said it was bad?

I'm sure there could be reasons to renegotiate your terms with Nolan, like if the whole release date debacle would come crashing down on the studio with emerging case numbers and such, or if he delivered his fifth bomb in a row. But saying that, just because you thought the characters in Tenet were bad and the film suffered because Nolan is "lost" in his ideas, the studio should reinvent its relationship with the Nolans... it doesn't seem justified. Especially since there are a number of critics and audience members who saw something in this film, something beyond those one-dimensional characters. I'm among them, so you could say I'm biased.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:43 am
I know that people can have different opinions on the same matter, but categorically stating that Nolan has "lost himself in those crazy ideas" and forgot "basic filmmaking elements" sounds just plain wrong. And I think it couldn't be further from the truth, and I'm pretty sure that the studio doesn't look at Tenet in that way, even if it makes only a few bucks, even if bad reviews are coming out. The studio shouldn't "punish" Nolan for anything, it sounds quite ridiculous. Why would you want to alienate the one guy on your team, in 2020, who is well-known for his original, thought-provoking ideas and approaches to blockbuster cinema? Just because a number of reviews said it was bad?

I'm sure there could be reasons to renegotiate your terms with Nolan, like if the whole release date debacle would come crashing down on the studio with emerging case numbers and such, or if he delivered his fifth bomb in a row. But saying that, just because you thought the characters in Tenet were bad and the film suffered because Nolan is "lost" in his ideas, the studio should reinvent its relationship with the Nolans... it doesn't seem justified. Especially since there are a number of critics and audience members who saw something in this film, something beyond those one-dimensional characters. I'm among them, so you could say I'm biased.
Are you talking about me? lol I never said WB should punish Nolan wtf. I just answered Okus concern, that Nolan could loose his privileges at WB. I like the film as well. Just highlighted some major flaws, that kept the movie from being a masterpiece.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 10:43 am
I know that people can have different opinions on the same matter, but categorically stating that Nolan has "lost himself in those crazy ideas" and forgot "basic filmmaking elements" sounds just plain wrong.
I hate this sort of emotional absolutist thinking. Anyone who says Nolan forgot “basic filmmaking elements” (whatever those are tbh) plainly outs themselves as knowing nothing about filmmaking.

I don’t really know whose fault it is but this online hype insanity combined with overexaggerated reviews and super high scores that almost every other movie seemed to get prior to the pandemic has ruined our perception of cinema and we’ve been self owning ourselves ever since

edit: people faulting Jennifer Lame for the film being inaccessible - a film, bound to be less accessible with its concept from the start, which might have been way less confusing with better sound mixing and writing, probably think Nolan just dropped all of his footage on Lame and told her to cut it up to her liking. lol

Oku wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 7:19 am

I don’t get why you are talking like he already lost WB’s trust in him unless you work on the "high table" there or know the future otherwise maybe don’t rush to make assumptions just yet. Only time will tell what will happen. But honestly, he didn’t lose WB’s trust when he made the prestige and that film had positive reception overall but weren’t great ratings either, so I don’t believe this will be different specially looking at how that film is considered as one of his best works now by many. Dunkirk didn’t make as much money as his other films prior to it and yet they are probably investing more money on Tenet despite that fact.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on August 28th, 2020, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.