TENET - General Information

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
Posts: 407
Joined: November 2019
The Special One wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 1:18 am
antovolk wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 10:58 am
Moving a bit from the whole cinemas/COVID discussion, the making-of book has been retitled:

The Secrets of Tenet: Inside Christopher Nolan's Quantum Cold War
Discover the secrets of Christopher Nolan's Tenet with this exclusive behind-the-scenes look at 2020's most anticipated film.

FROM DIRECTOR CHRISTOPHER NOLAN comes a mind-blowing espionage thriller so unique that audiences will puzzle over its intricacies for years to come. The Secrets of Tenet takes readers on an exclusive journey into Nolan's time-bending masterpiece, offering rare insights into all aspects of its creation. Featuring in-depth commentary from Nolan himself and a range of other key collaborators--including producer Emma Thomas and production designer Nathan Crowley--The Secrets of Tenet delivers an essential masterclass that lays bare the director's process and his singular creative vision. Illustrated with candid behind-the-scenes imagery and compelling conceptual art, this is the ultimate exploration of a film guaranteed to linger in the imagination long into the future . . . and perhaps the past.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Tenet-J ... 1647220602
:clap: :gonf:
I hope them saying all that isn’t just marketing. I’m inclined to believe the description to a certain extent just because it’s Nolan of course and also the author of the book has already made one for Memento and Dunkirk.

User avatar
Posts: 2862
Joined: January 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Ruth wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:45 pm
kamelgunner wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm
hello guys in germany there's new cases wtf in france no body is respecting what have been done during two months hope everything gonna be okay
people are ignoring quarantine measures everywhere. this is really depressing
So maddening that a bunch of assholes are going to set back a lot of progress. Human stupidity at its finest.

Posts: 8216
Joined: August 2012
anikom15 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:03 pm
The Chinese population is literally racist.

This is not something that can be argued against.
Consider this your (and everybody else’s) warning:

Racism will NOT be tolerated here, no matter who it is aimed at. So check yourself before you say anything. Criticize governmental action all you want, because almost all of the time, it’s perfectly warranted, but stop with sweeping generalizations and stereotyping of entire ethnicities or races.

Posts: 223
Joined: August 2019
Pattinson was meant to cover GQ's June/July issue ,
I suppose this is some Tenet promo, we'll see since there is an interview (but with so much secrecy I don't know how he could talk about the film)

https://www.businessoffashion.com/artic ... r-lockdown
The two main features slated for the June/July issue — a Robert Pattinson profile and a central portfolio on the theme “creativity in quarantine” — were unstarted.

Will Welch, editor-in-chief: As all...the New York City guidance was evolving, we were simultaneously thinking about what can we get into May with these stories that are very far along — and then also what are we doing for the June/July issue?

Some of June was shot, some was not. The cover was not shot.

Zach Baron, senior staff writer, who wrote the cover profile: [Pattinson] was shooting “Batman” [in London], so the idea was to go and catch him on a day off or, if I got lucky, even get to visit the set. But we never got so far as booking a plane ticket.

This is the first time I had really tried to do something big and ambitious over Zoom, Skype, whatever you want to call it. For the record, it was FaceTime.

Welch: It became very clear that any kind of shoot where people had to get together was not going to be feasible. [Pattinson] has a bunch of cool cameras and he is in an Airbnb in London. He had some film cameras with him and maybe a digital camera, too, and he was up for photographing himself.

I don’t know him. It’s not like they sent me a portfolio of his photography or anything. He just said, “I’d be up for it if you’d be up for it.”

That is not something I would want to do with just anyone. But in his case, everything about the directors that he’s chosen…and all the moves that he’s made post “Twilight” have shown a real creative mind and pretty amazing taste and instincts.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 246
Joined: October 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
I don't know why didn't anyone (including me) used the "cold war" phrase until yesterday. "We're trying to prevent World War 3" - doesn't that summarize a cold war? :D The Cold War since WW2 was about the tension of a nuclear holocaust, and it is the base for many spy thrillers. So this expression wasn't a big surprise for me, it was more like "of course it is" and I slapped my forehead. But yeah, "quantum" is new and it's the first evidence that time will be a threat, not just a tool.

User avatar
Posts: 9363
Joined: December 2011
And here is that interview:

https://www.gq.com/story/robert-pattins ... june-cover
“He has this very natural ability to make it seem like it’s all chaos, it’s freestyle, he’s just going off of the wind and instinct,” John David Washington, with whom he stars in Tenet, says. “But he’s very concentrated on what he’s trying to do, despite his stories and his sentiments.”

It takes a moment for me to realize what is happening. What notes? What movie? It turns out he means Tenet. It turns out he means the notes he wrote down last year, back when he was starting the film. “When I was looking at the notes,” Pattinson says, “I was thinking, ‘Oh yeah, these are, like, pretty good notes.’ And that was what all that shit’s about. It’s funny, ’cause I totally forgot, like, I’d totally forgotten a lot of the character stuff. Have you seen the movie, by the way?”

“No.”

“I haven’t seen it, either.”

“Do you want to tell me what it’s about?”

“Even if I had seen it, I genuinely don’t know if I’d be able to… I was just thinking, I just called up my assistant 20 minutes ago: ‘What the fuck do I say? I have no idea.’ ”

“What did your assistant say?”

“She’s a lot cleverer than I am. Like, she went to college and stuff. And I’m just like saying all this stuff, and I was like, ‘Oh God, no. I can’t even bullshit my way through this.’ ”

For a minute he tries, though. “This thing, it’s so insane,” he says. He says they had a crew of around 500 people, and 250 of them would all fly together, just hopping planes to different countries. “And in each country there’s, like, an enormous set-piece scene, which is like the climax of a normal movie. In every single country.” He says otherwise jaded and hard-bitten crew members would come in on their days off to watch Nolan’s special effects because they were so crazy. He apologizes for not being able to say more. He just doesn’t really know what to say.

A few days later I call Christopher Nolan himself, to ask if Pattinson was fucking with me about not knowing the plot of the movie he had just finished.

“The interesting thing with Rob is, he’s slightly fucking with you,” Nolan says, laughing a reserved English laugh. “But he’s also being disarmingly honest. It’s sort of both things at once. When you see the film, you’ll understand. Rob’s read on the script was extremely acute. But he also understood the ambiguities of the film and the possibilities that spin off in the mind around the story. And so both things are true. Yes, he’s fucking with you, because he had a complete grasp of the script. But a complete grasp of the script, in the case of Tenet, is one that understands and acknowledges the need for this film to live on in the audience’s mind, and suggest possibilities in the audience’s mind. And he was very much a partner in crime with that.”

User avatar
Posts: 522
Joined: June 2017
Location: Holland
''Yes, he’s fucking with you, because he had a complete grasp of the script. But a complete grasp of the script, in the case of Tenet, is one that understands and acknowledges the need for this film to live on in the audience’s mind, and suggest possibilities in the audience’s mind. And he was very much a partner in crime with that.”
Yes. So much yes.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 2974
Joined: January 2009
Now I’m picturing Christopher Hitchens as a time traveler.
He’s not a time traveler. There’s actually no time traveling. [laughs] That’s, like, the one thing I’m approved to say.
Holy shit!

edit: it's hard for me to see, based on what we've seen so far, how there's no time travel involved. I'm thinking that Pattinson is merely hinting at the fact that the film is not about that sort of classic, Back to the Future or Terminator-like time travel.

Posts: 209
Joined: December 2019
DHOPW42 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:46 am
Now I’m picturing Christopher Hitchens as a time traveler.
He’s not a time traveler. There’s actually no time traveling. [laughs] That’s, like, the one thing I’m approved to say.
Holy shit!

edit: it's hard for me to see, based on what we've seen so far, how there's no time travel involved. I'm thinking that Pattinson is merely hinting at the fact that the film is not about that sort of classic, Back to the Future or Terminator-like time travel.
I was just about to say something like this. From what we've seen so far, of events happening in reverse relative to certain characters, I'm not sure how that's not considered a form of time travel at least. Now I'm even more curious as to what this movie is about.

User avatar
Posts: 1264
Joined: September 2014
I am lost right now. Is there two new interviews or what? Plz help

Post Reply