TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
ShotValuable wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 2:17 am
Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 11:56 am
Firstly, hype will dry down if the film is delayed (to let's say October-November). That will be almost a year since the first teaser and prologue hit.

In addition, marketing costs will balloon. Marketing has already been paid for posters, trailers, magazine covers and everything leading up to the July release. Doing this all over again in anticipation for an October-November release will cost some money.

Lastly, if distancing measures are introduced in cinemas (few seats apart between people), going there will be the same as going to the grocery shop right now. As long as people follow the rules, it CAN work.
I don't see that being a problem (marketing costs). I work in a advertising agency and a lot of our clients that already payed for all kinds of stuff just delay they release. But maybe in the movie business things work differently.
I hope that we will see a new trailer soon and the movie in July.
The problem is committing spend that's locked into specific timings - most notably TV and outdoor advertising.

Creative materials like trailers and posters - and them themselves and not any $$$ on when and how stuff actually launches - is stuff that can be done any time, yes. But still, momentum and timing of stuff is key even if there's no money involved. You don't wanna drop a final trailer this month for a film that's then delayed to December.

@gropercity - there's a difference between releasing a movie as planned now before we have somewhat mitigated the situation - which by July the US and UK governments almost certainly wouldn't have at the current pace - and later when they have even if there's no vaccine. It's all a sliding scale.
Last edited by antovolk on May 8th, 2020, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gropercity wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 2:35 am
What are these studios accomplishing by postponing releases? This virus is going nowhere. It will be with us for years, if not forever. The only thing we can do is what theaters are already doing: enforcing mitigation measures. That's all we can do. Just release the damn movies on schedule because buying time against this virus is futile. It's here with us indefinitely.
we`ve got vaccines and effective treaments for many of the other viruses, older viruses, cases of those are pretty rare, Covid is a bit of a pain in the arse right now, sure it will not go away completely, but in a couple of years i bet it wont be a big deal, right now is risky to fan the flame too much, relaxing safety measures and all, later it wont be, it makes sense delaying if things carry on being crap

Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 3:13 am
gropercity wrote:
What are these studios accomplishing by postponing releases? This virus is going nowhere. It will be with us for years, if not forever. The only thing we can do is what theaters are already doing: enforcing mitigation measures. That's all we can do. Just release the damn movies on schedule because buying time against this virus is futile. It's here with us indefinitely.
we`ve got vaccines and effective treaments for many of the other viruses, older viruses, cases of those are pretty rare, Covid is a bit of a pain in the arse right now, sure it will not go away completely, but in a couple of years i bet it wont be a big deal, right now is risky to fan the flame too much, relaxing safety measures and all, later it wont be, it makes sense delaying if things carry on being crap
If people are waiting on a vaccine, they will be sorely disappointed. The vaccine, if there even is an effective one, will take 1-2 years. And that's a big IF. Vaccines for previous viruses were promised and they never panned out. There is no silver bullet against this thing other than social-distancing measures. Businesses and life in general will have to operate with this in mind. There is no alternative.

I had a dream about Tenet, and in my dream it was a sequel to The Dark Knight trilogy and some people called it Batman 5(?). :D However the only connection between them was Alfred who basically sold all the Wayne Enterprises technologies to the agency, so agents can use all Batman's toys as he doesn't need them anymore.

gropercity wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:28 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 3:13 am
gropercity wrote:
If people are waiting on a vaccine, they will be sorely disappointed. The vaccine, if there even is an effective one, will take 1-2 years. And that's a big IF. Vaccines for previous viruses were promised and they never panned out. There is no silver bullet against this thing other than social-distancing measures. Businesses and life in general will have to operate with this in mind. There is no alternative.
But question is, do you (in case of the US and the UK) begin to operate now while there are still thousands of new cases and hundreds of new deaths every day - vs close to zero in the case of countries like Australia which only announced an exit strategy at that specific point - or wait for at least that moment to begin opening back up?

A vaccine this year IS a possibility, Oxford is the most likely to date, we'll see.

Anton gets it, be smart about it, only when the new cases are minimal can it be acceptable I guess.

The cinemas in Denmark will reopen on June 8th :thumbup:

Also just in: Cinemas (along with museums, libraries, etc) in China will open very soon, with restricted capacity and reservations.

I definitely think that if the UK on Sunday allows their cinemas to re-open around June, Tenet will stay. If they say no, it will move.

TENET in July and pulling serious bucks feels like a fairytale right now.

Countries are re-opening with different pacing and everyone has their own idea on how and when to move forward.

Is WB truly ready to make a 200+ mil. movie an experiment this early?