TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
We (UK) find out Sunday what the next step is the country takes. Boris Johnson will outline what will be happening in the coming weeks.
As written in one of the articles shared, cinemas need to prove social distancing can be met. It's safe to say it can. What they'll also need to prove is staff safety. The first signs of workers becoming infected and maybe re-evaluation takes place.
Tenet's opening is ten week away, yet. Hopefully by then the increase in cases we'll see after lockdown is eased will itself ease and then we'll have a clearer idea.
Of course by then WB will have either comitted or delayed.

I doubt going to a movie theater will be deadly, especially if there's limited capacity, patrons wearing masks before entering the auditorium, and proper sanitation with hand sanitizer inserts installed.

It will have to be done carefully and with some common sense from moviegoers, but it can be done. Unfortunately there will always be a risk until the virus is eradicated, which will take years. The virus is probably here to stay for the foreseeable future, people will just have to be smart and learn how to deal with it.

Pippy wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 4:47 pm
We (UK) find out Sunday what the next step is the country takes. Boris Johnson will outline what will be happening in the coming weeks.
As written in one of the articles shared, cinemas need to prove social distancing can be met. It's safe to say it can. What they'll also need to prove is staff safety. The first signs of workers becoming infected and maybe re-evaluation takes place.
Tenet's opening is ten week away, yet. Hopefully by then the increase in cases we'll see after lockdown is eased will itself ease and then we'll have a clearer idea.
Of course by then WB will have either comitted or delayed.
Insiders are speculating that WB will make the decision next week, what the UK says on Sunday may play a big part.

I don't know why I put this in here. I guess I'm bored while waiting...

Ya know what? I'd say just push Tenet a month to Wonder Woman's August 14th date, and move WW to early October. That will give an extra 4 week cushion for theaters worldwide to plan to safely re-open, and that way Nolan’s film can still be the first out the gate like he wants it to be.

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 9:47 pm
Ya know what? I'd say just push Tenet a month to Wonder Woman's August 14th date, and move WW to early October. That will give an extra 4 week cushion for theaters worldwide to plan to safely re-open, and that way Nolan’s film can still be the first out the gate like he wants it to be.
not a bad idea

There are two possible scenarios right? The movie is delayed, or the movie comes out mid-July.

In both cases, wouldn't you want to launch promotion and ads as normal? In the case it's not delayed, you're following normal schedule. In the case it's delayed, you've put out a new trailer and ads a month or two earlier.

Flutterby wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 12:48 am
There are two possible scenarios right? The movie is delayed, or the movie comes out mid-July.

In both cases, wouldn't you want to launch promotion and ads as normal? In the case it's not delayed, you're following normal schedule. In the case it's delayed, you've put out a new trailer and ads a month or two earlier.
I think the problem lies in the momentum and pacing of advertisement. Sure, they will have to release new trailers and marketing materilyals sooner or later. But a release date of July or October makes quite a significant difference in planning.

Nolanfan93 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 11:56 am
Firstly, hype will dry down if the film is delayed (to let's say October-November). That will be almost a year since the first teaser and prologue hit.

In addition, marketing costs will balloon. Marketing has already been paid for posters, trailers, magazine covers and everything leading up to the July release. Doing this all over again in anticipation for an October-November release will cost some money.

Lastly, if distancing measures are introduced in cinemas (few seats apart between people), going there will be the same as going to the grocery shop right now. As long as people follow the rules, it CAN work.
I don't see that being a problem (marketing costs). I work in a advertising agency and a lot of our clients that already payed for all kinds of stuff just delay they release. But maybe in the movie business things work differently.
I hope that we will see a new trailer soon and the movie in July.

What are these studios accomplishing by postponing releases? This virus is going nowhere. It will be with us for years, if not forever. The only thing we can do is what theaters are already doing: enforcing mitigation measures. That's all we can do. Just release the damn movies on schedule because buying time against this virus is futile. It's here with us indefinitely.