TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Demoph wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 11:35 am
We shouldn't think of the release date as a day/month (July 2020, October 2020, July 2021...) but in terms of how long after cinemas are open and safe enough.

If I were WB, I would have Tenet to be released whenever cinemas can welcome large crowd, and Wonder Woman four weeks later.
I would bet that I could guess four weeks before when cinemas would be opened again in order to do a four weeks very intensive marketing campaign for Tenet, which will be helped by the fact that few other big films will have a marketing campaign at the same time... (Mulan for example has probably released all its trailers). I would think that Tenet and WW are my two safest bet box-office wise, and hope they can save my result for the year by making, say 1.6 billion combined.

And once I've secured these two films,saved my yearly result, reinforced my relation with movie chains, reinforced Nolan as the protector of cinema-experience (whilst pushing forward my streaming platform), made Tenet an award contender (at least in editing, cinematography, sound... categories), I would consider what other films I can still release...
As far as I'm aware, that is what WB's plans already are. They are operating under the assumption that theatres will be operational by July. Now it won't be at full capacity, but I think that's just the way theatres will operate for the next year to year and a half, depending on when a vaccine is ready. There's no point in delaying a movie that long though, especially if your goal is to help the theatre industry get back on its feet.

At this point, it's almost a case of which movie / studio will be the first to release a film. That simultaneously is a high risk high reward situation.

The safer bet could be what China was planning on doing. Release a bunch of old classics to get audiences to warm up to the idea of revisiting theaters again (Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, Avatar, Jurassic World, etc.), carry this on for a week or two, before opening with a bigger movie like say Tenet. Basically what one of the articles said Cinemark was planning on doing (or was it some other theater chain; can't recall).

Yeah, Cinemark said that and Cineworld/Regal also has...but for no longer than two weeks because you can only bring in so many people to cinemas without new films.

This sort of strategy really benefits independent/arthouse cinemas - where there's an audience that goes to those cinemas for the experience, even if the film has been available in the home for years

I've been away a month, but here are my two cents:

I have a feeling this will hit a billion with no problem if the July date doesn't change.
People are ready to go out.
BUT, it depends how many theaters are open in July.

Super hot takes, I know. Haha.

The fact this forum isn’t jumping for joy at this news says a lot.

anikom15 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:14 am
Yeah, people are rational enough and the world is still not at the best place for cinema reopening. Also, the situation is hard to predict so May, June may be a different story altogether, it takes time to convince people to relax again.

anikom15 wrote:
There's just still a lot of uncertainty, and it feels like we won't know when this premieres for sure until the last moment... of course I live in a place where the outbreak isn't as severe (at the moment), but I would have no problem going to the cinemas this July. I dread the thought of Tenet being released a year from now - I would be okay with October or even December. But, for me at least, July isn't as problematic as... well, for most of the affected areas, I guess?

anikom15 wrote:
Why should we be jumping for joy? A July reopening of theatres isn't a sure thing yet. Once they have reopened and Tenet is released I will be overjoyed.

Right now it's seems to be on track and I'm sure Nolan has a say in all of this, he's hoping for the best and we still have a whole May to go through, and even June, before this movie comes out, and covid is already crumbling in the long run, at least before fall comes. Nobody's 100% on fall/winter except for projections.