TENET - General Information/Discussion/Speculation

An original action espionage film releasing in IMAX on August 12, 2020
Besides box office, I've also been thinking about awards. I was really excited about TENET getting a lot of nominations at the Oscars, but if it comes out this year I wonder how many movies it will even have to compete against. I don't want it to get nominations just because it was one out of a handful of good films that came out. This is part of the reason why I would almost rather wait until 2021 to see the movie. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Vader182 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 8:23 pm
Sky007 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:36 pm
Optimistic speculation here, but this is where I think Nolan/WB are at:
We're gonna know a little more about their plans once early May hits because that's traditionally when a 2nd Nolan trailer drops, though obviously marketing will drastically be changed (worth noting WB's Dune is still sticking to its promotional schedule).
With theaters tentatively planning to re-open late June in some lesser hit areas, and with plans to go wider in July (source: Reuters), it looks seriously like Tenet is being released as planned. Audience attendance will likely be capped, but almost all screens will be available. Even with Mulan the next week, it still will have far more screens than normal.

With less films over the next few months, the film will also likely be available in theaters for a longer amount of time than usual. WB is probably banking on a slow burn of box office and waves of people returning to cinemas. There will be some people hesitant to go out right away, and another camp will be there right away (again, depends on the area).
Some are suggesting the budget of this will stop WB from releasing it bc it won't max out its potential, but any movie released this year is gonna be affected by this no matter what. Strategies are gonna change. It's already a risky film, and signs point to Nolan wanting this to be the film that welcomes people back to the theater. WB is likely trying to find a way to market it as such. I'm guessing that'll be the "hook" and they will bank on it.
There's no way theaters are re-opening in 2020 without some social distancing measures in place, like one seat in between each audience member, which could significantly cut into revenue. I will be *shocked* if it still opens in July, or theatres re-open period this year, tbh.

-Vader
Theaters will die if they don't re-open in any capacity in 2020. Like Sky said, seating capacity will probably be capped for a period of time, but the film would have access to nearly every screen since there are just a handful of films still set to release around then. Not saying Tenet won't ultimately be pushed back, but his points are valid.

marshallmurphy wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm
Besides box office, I've also been thinking about awards. I was really excited about TENET getting a lot of nominations at the Oscars, but if it comes out this year I wonder how many movies it will even have to compete against. I don't want it to get nominations just because it was one out of a handful of good films that came out. This is part of the reason why I would almost rather wait until 2021 to see the movie. Does anyone else feel the same way?
No.

No. Make TENET happen in 2020, whatever it takes...

Vader182 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 8:23 pm
Sky007 wrote:
We're gonna know a little more about their plans once early May hits because that's traditionally when a 2nd Nolan trailer drops, though obviously marketing will drastically be changed (worth noting WB's Dune is still sticking to its promotional schedule).
With theaters tentatively planning to re-open late June in some lesser hit areas, and with plans to go wider in July (source: Reuters), it looks seriously like Tenet is being released as planned. Audience attendance will likely be capped, but almost all screens will be available. Even with Mulan the next week, it still will have far more screens than normal.

With less films over the next few months, the film will also likely be available in theaters for a longer amount of time than usual. WB is probably banking on a slow burn of box office and waves of people returning to cinemas. There will be some people hesitant to go out right away, and another camp will be there right away (again, depends on the area).
Some are suggesting the budget of this will stop WB from releasing it bc it won't max out its potential, but any movie released this year is gonna be affected by this no matter what. Strategies are gonna change. It's already a risky film, and signs point to Nolan wanting this to be the film that welcomes people back to the theater. WB is likely trying to find a way to market it as such. I'm guessing that'll be the "hook" and they will bank on it.
There's no way theaters are re-opening in 2020 without some social distancing measures in place, like one seat in between each audience member, which could significantly cut into revenue. I will be *shocked* if it still opens in July, or theatres re-open period this year, tbh.

-Vader
Regarding social distancing, that's what I meant by capped audience attendance. But with more screens and a longer release run, I can imagine WB banking on that. Tenet is right on the edge, it's a risk no doubt.
And i don't see how theaters don't open at some point this year. If that somehow happened it'd likely mean the restaurant industry never re-opens as well. And then we're looking at more significant problems.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... l/609940/

Read this. I expect theaters will want to re-open, my point was more the extremes distributors will go to to make that happen and maintain their financial health in absence of a bailout with 50% (or more) drop in revenue per screen.

Many movies may struggle not to make a loss in these conditions. It is dire, indeed. I'm hoping for a bailout, personally.

-Vader

Sky007 wrote:

excellent stuff

Sky007 wrote:

i’ve been saying some version of this for a while now. i do think it’s an extremely optimistic outlook, however. and ethically, it’ll look questionable to some, at least

at the end of the day all i want is for all involved parties to find the best possible outcome for everyone included. so there may never be the right time to open at this point, not in a long while, but if we reach a point in summer where there is a possibility to lessen quarantine measures, i think this could be a great opportunity if marketed the right way.

marshallmurphy wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm
No, why would I want it to get pushed to 2021 so it can have competition for awards? Awards are cool but it's not going to affect my viewing experience.

One of the problem it's also the situation in many different countries. While here in Europe there are countries improving, the situation in the USA only keeps getting worse due to acting late.
And probably many theaters in Europe will be ready to open sooner that in the USA.
The thing is that USA it's a major country for box office numbers. If practically all Europe can display the film without USA showing it because of its situation, will it show?