Dunkirk Timeline [SPOILERS]

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Posts: 51
Joined: July 2017
It still doesn't answer when the 'time jump' during that week is. To me the matter isn't of when the three lines meet up, but that we are not shown a weeks worth of time on that beach. But if we take it as air and sea being on the last/second last day (the 3rd) that must mean there's some time skip probably around when we see the soldiers sleeping on the beach?

I understand how the intertwining timelines should leave you with a bit to figure out, but the handling of time on land just.. Almost feels like a 'mistake' to me! It's obviously not, because hey it's Nolan, but still.

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016
Maybe Tommy isn't there for the whole week of LAND. When Tommy arrives in Dunkirk, soldiers are already lined up for boats, and not long after, wounded and soldiers are being evacuated on what I believe represents the hospital ship Paris.

Not that it matters to the movie's timeline, but the real Paris was sunk June 2, 1940.
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 23rd, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 19803
Joined: June 2012
Location: a twilight world
I dug how we see the Shivering Soldier for the first time in the sea POV and then later on in the mole POV. Only to cut back to the argument he and Mr Dawson have, really wonderfully done. It's of so much use to the Shivering Soldier. He was a very capable man before getting shellshock and on top of that we have experienced what it's like to go down with a Destroyer struck by a torpedo.

Not to forget that Collins' and Farriers' air POV was cut loose the moment Collins got shot down. At first staying with Farrier in the air POV and then cutting back to Collins' crash in the sea POV. I loved how those things crossed and intersected each other.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3330
Joined: May 2012
Cocal wrote:It still doesn't answer when the 'time jump' during that week is. To me the matter isn't of when the three lines meet up, but that we are not shown a weeks worth of time on that beach. But if we take it as air and sea being on the last/second last day (the 3rd) that must mean there's some time skip probably around when we see the soldiers sleeping on the beach?

I understand how the intertwining timelines should leave you with a bit to figure out, but the handling of time on land just.. Almost feels like a 'mistake' to me! It's obviously not, because hey it's Nolan, but still.
It's because [ONE HOUR-ONE DAY-ONE WEEK] looks good, poetically speaking.

If we used a calendar system in which the word 'week' meant three days instead of seven, then Mr. Nolan would have used that.

It's the limitations of the English language, basically.
dormouse7 wrote:Maybe Tommy isn't there for the whole week of LAND. When Tommy arrives in Dunkirk, soldiers are already lined up for boats, and not long after, wounded and soldiers are being evacuated on what I believe represents the hospital ship Paris.

Not that it matters to the movie's timeline, but the real Paris was sunk June 2, 1940.
So it was a fictional ship based on real Paris ship? (Just like how all the characters are fictional but based on real people?)

Edit:
Nomis wrote:I dug how we see the Shivering Soldier for the first time in the sea POV and then later on in the mole POV. Only to cut back to the argument he and Mr Dawson have, really wonderfully done. It's of so much use to the Shivering Soldier. He was a very capable man before getting shellshock and on top of that we have experienced what it's like to go down with a Destroyer struck by a torpedo.

Not to forget that Collins' and Farriers' air POV was cut loose the moment Collins got shot down. At first staying with Farrier in the air POV and then cutting back to Collins' crash in the sea POV. I loved how those things crossed and intersected each other.
What do you mean "It's of so much use to the Shivering Soldier"?

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016
HHMS Paris was the only hospital ship sunk near Dunkirk during WWII.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3330
Joined: May 2012
So it was the Paris ship then?

Posts: 171
Joined: May 2016
Yo
Can someone help me out? Gibson gets on the little lifeboat with Cillian's character, right? I almost missed him.
Where does he join up with Tommy and Alex, again? That's the only thing in the timeline I'm confused about.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3330
Joined: May 2012
Yes. He is the one who hands the rope to Alex and Tommy.

All three of them get off the rowboat and fall asleep on the beach.

User avatar
Posts: 2577
Joined: June 2016
I believe the hospital ship in the movie Dunkirk is a fictional ship inspired by the 1940 hospital ship Paris which made 6 trips to Dunkirk before being bombed when heading into Dunkirk on June 2, 1940. The fictional hospital ship in the film is bombed when leaving Dunkirk.

Paris
Image

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3330
Joined: May 2012
So it was a fictional ship based on real Paris ship, just like how all the characters are fictional but based on real people.

Post Reply