Dunkirk Timeline [SPOILERS]

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Yes.

Oku
:lol: thanks.

okungnyo wrote:
Yes. He is the one who hands the rope to Alex and Tommy.

All three of them get off the rowboat and fall asleep on the beach.
Must have completely missed this. So they get tugged along behind the boat, then?

So basically, he saves them twice. I want justice for Gibson, damnit. Survival really isn't fair.

okungnyo wrote: It's because [ONE HOUR-ONE DAY-ONE WEEK] looks good, poetically speaking.

If we used a calendar system in which the word 'week' meant three days instead of seven, then Mr. Nolan would have used that.

It's the limitations of the English language, basically.
You're right, but... But! Ah I'll just have to accept that and try to get past the annoyance I guess.

Cocal wrote:It still doesn't answer when the 'time jump' during that week is. To me the matter isn't of when the three lines meet up, but that we are not shown a weeks worth of time on that beach. But if we take it as air and sea being on the last/second last day (the 3rd) that must mean there's some time skip probably around when we see the soldiers sleeping on the beach?
I agree, this is the only part that keeps bugging me every time I think about it, but hopefully I'll understand it better when I watch the film again next week.

I wonder if the screenplay will explain actual days of the LAND timeline.

Innovator wrote:
Cocal wrote:It still doesn't answer when the 'time jump' during that week is. To me the matter isn't of when the three lines meet up, but that we are not shown a weeks worth of time on that beach. But if we take it as air and sea being on the last/second last day (the 3rd) that must mean there's some time skip probably around when we see the soldiers sleeping on the beach?
I agree, this is the only part that keeps bugging me every time I think about it, but hopefully I'll understand it better when I watch the film again next week.
Yeah, when I think about it, the only explanation that comes to mind is those shots on the beach, first sleeping and then they are showing them sitting there watching the soldier go into water and then we see them again and see Tommy trying to open a can with food so I guess they are showing us that some portion of time must have passed.

Thats just my understanding of these different shots/situations these three found themselves in.

Even after watching the movie twice now, the climax is still a bit confusing to me. First there's the plane that Farrier shoots over the oil, which causes the fire, and then as the Moonstone is leaving there's another plane, and then also the plane that Kenneth sees? Are they all the same plane? Or am I just slow lmao

brume wrote:Even after watching the movie twice now, the climax is still a bit confusing to me. First there's the plane that Farrier shoots over the oil, which causes the fire, and then as the Moonstone is leaving there's another plane, and then also the plane that Kenneth sees? Are they all the same plane? Or am I just slow lmao
They are not the same plane.

The one that Farrier shoots over the oil is a bomber that had been making runs on the destroyer Vanquisher.

The one that strafes the Moonstone (BF 109 I believe?) continues along ("Bigger fish to fry") towards Dunkirk, where it begins its assault on 'The Mole', only for Farrier in his gliding Spitfire to save the day (kinda out of camera).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

disseldor wrote:The one that strafes the Moonstone (BF 109 I believe?) continues along ("Bigger fish to fry") towards Dunkirk, where it begins its assault on 'The Mole', only for Farrier in his gliding Spitfire to save the day (kinda out of camera).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe this is correct. That's how I wrote it out in the OP.