Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sysmatic wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Bacon wrote:How did we go from 95% to 91% holy crap that's idiotic.
Pissing me off too. As long as it stays above 90 at this point.
Yo bootsy, did you see it yet?
lol yes he saw it with me.

Three 100 scores from New Yorker, Forbes and Slashfilm will be added. Correct?

Is Slashfilm and Forbes even on Metacritic?

What the hell is it with critics who are disappointed because there wasn't enough 'drama', 'thrill', 'reasons to care for the characters', 'humanism'?

I don't mean to be a douche, but I am extremely cynical and disdainful towards people whom automatically draw a direct interrelation between war and the concept of grandeur, heroism, struggle of better men over lesser men, triumph of the human spirit, and all other manners of cliches. Poets, writers, historians romanticize the concept of war, and that in itself is alright because it's all part of the literary process of stirring up imaginations and evoking strong visceral reactions.

But at the core of the whole issue, there is absolutely nothing glorious about war. In the midst of the struggle for survival, war is only one thing -- complete hell.

And Dunkirk is a film that aims to capture this very essence of war; that out there on the beachhead and in the water, hundreds of thousands of men were one and the same, completely indistinguishable from one another.

Saving Private Ryan was about... Private James Ryan. Spielberg spent a good portion of the film focused on the inner turmoil of the primary protagonist, then deliberately contrasted that by glossing over the secondary protagonist. Drama and relationships in this film was deliberately, carefully manufactured.

Dunkirk should be viewed closer to a historical narration than a movie to appreciate just why characters were developed (or underdeveloped) the way it was. The backstory of Alex had zero bearing on his plight. It did not matter what type of person Tommy was before the war. Out there, soldiers were stripped right down to their core. The struggle for survival was raw. Death was certainly not choosy.

To have fabricated and infused more individuality to the characters would have detracted away from the central focus and purpose of the film.

So while I am very much for legitimate criticism over negative aspects of this film, critics really need to drop their fundamentally flawed and "Hollywood-ized" expectation.

I hadn't checked Valerian's stats in a while. Y I K E S. Currently at 56% with 5.8/10. That's rough.

dunkirktrash wrote:I hadn't checked Valerian's stats in a while. Y I K E S. Currently at 56% with 5.8/10. That's rough.
It fell 20 points on RT in past 24 hours

I hope members here don't start freaking out if/when the RT overall rating goes below 90%. We all know Nolan has his detractors and the fact that the movie still managed to become this acclaimed should be celebrated.

Sysmatic wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Bacon wrote:How did we go from 95% to 91% holy crap that's idiotic.
Pissing me off too. As long as it stays above 90 at this point.
Yo bootsy, did you see it yet?
Yes saw it last night with Bacon. We met at the IMAX theater in Atlanta area. I loved it. It might be my favorite Nolan movie. Definitely my favorite movie overall this year.

Innovator wrote:I hope members here don't start freaking out if/when the RT overall rating goes below 90%. We all know Nolan has his detractors and the fact that the movie still managed to become this acclaimed should be celebrated.
Statistically improbable as one more good review and its at 92 with 200 critics . movies end with 225 avg rt reviews

hasanahmad wrote:
Innovator wrote:I hope members here don't start freaking out if/when the RT overall rating goes below 90%. We all know Nolan has his detractors and the fact that the movie still managed to become this acclaimed should be celebrated.
Statistically improbable as one more good review and its at 92 with 200 critics . movies end with 225 avg rt reviews
Films with more hype around them tend to end with near 300 reviews. All of Nolan's films after The Prestige have amassed over 310 reviews. We still got a fair bit to go until the percentage settles.

BFCA is now 90/100 :twothumbsup: