Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
The Special One wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:97 on MC with 43 reviews. 27 perfect scores.

Gravity has 27 perfect scores. The Social Network has 28.

Best Picture is on the horizon
Nomination, yes
I don't think you quite realize the significance of such a score.

Spert wrote:Neither Gravity or The Social Network won Best Picture though

Dunkirk will walk in as the front runner and probably lose to some small drama film
I think Call Me By Your Name is the frontrunner:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/call-me ... ic-reviews

Blatant Oscar bait and seems to be very well-made. Bigelow's Detroit could also make a huge push to the top of the list as well.

Dunkirk will be long forgotten by the time Oscar season comes around. The fact that it doesn't seem to have the emotional beats people want to see in traditional films...that is not going to play very well with the Academy.
Last edited by redfirebird2008 on July 20th, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reviews are coming in thick and fast now.

We got another Titanic on our hands. I'm telling you.

The amount of perfect scores a movie has is quite irrelevant to the Best Picture talk. I mean yes, It's going to be 100% nominated. Winning tho... that's an entire different animal.

redfirebird2008 wrote:

Dunkirk will walk in as the front runner and probably lose to some small drama film

Blatant Oscar bait and seems to be very well-made. Bigelow's Detroit could also make a huge push to the top of the list as well.

Dunkirk will be long forgotten by the time Oscar season comes around. The fact that it doesn't seem to have the emotional beats people want to see in traditional films...that is not going to play very well with the Academy.
interesting

From what I've heard, that film doesnt really follow the kind of structures that Oscar voters might all be on board with.

But maybe its a front runner.

I think Detroit will piss too many people off to make a serious run at the Academy. It looks great though.

Spert wrote:The things to think about in film is the actual filmmaking and portrayals

Plot and twists are very superficial most of the time and I hate when people go around acting like Inception and Memento are some super deep films just because of the concept and twists.
You have to be joking.

Their depth far exceeds their twists, especially Inception.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Spert wrote:The things to think about in film is the actual filmmaking and portrayals

Plot and twists are very superficial most of the time and I hate when people go around acting like Inception and Memento are some super deep films just because of the concept and twists.
You have to be joking.

Their depth far exceeds their twists, especially Inception.
what depth is there in Inception lol? The films themes and plot are literally all spoonfed to you by the characters instruction manual dialogue

redfirebird2008 wrote:

Wait is this a gay love story between Armie Hammer and young Tom from Interstellar? I need this movie rite nao!

Spert wrote:what depth is there in Inception lol? The films themes and plot are literally all spoonfed to you by the characters instruction manual dialogue
On behalf of NolanFans we gladly accept your resignation.

Perhaps, movies just aren't for you. Stay in your lane.