Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
13 of all the negative reviews have one major complaint showing all 13 completely missed the point or they will not be invested in this Type of movie ever

1. Christopher Nolan wants us to experience things viscerally and visually, without the hindrance of exposition or back stories – or any kind of character development

2. Why not trust their patience by slowing down Dunkirk's pace? Why not include some nuance and characters conversing with one another?

3. Nolan doesn’t invest you into the characters or their situations. Many in the drama have nothing to do.

4. Had there been an actual cohesive film, offering context, character, story and history, it could have been one of the most powerful movie’s I’ve ever seen

5. None of the characters are fleshed-out beyond their base role in the war and are fairly stock types otherwise. So we watch as terrible things happen, acknowledge as much, and move on.

6. There’s little doubt, then, that sequences meant to generate suspense and tension fall almost uniformly flat, as the viewer’s inability to form a rooting interest in the various characters makes it impossible to sympathize with their ongoing exploits – which is disappointing, to say the least, given the plethora of near-death moments

7. the characters are not developed enough to allow us to care about their survival.

8. But there is very little emotional investment on our part watching this film because we know nothing of these men.

9. Not only is “Dunkirk” bereft of a single, glorious speech, it appears to lack written dialogue, at best a film that could have been improvised.

10. The greater loss in Nolan’s approach, however, is a lack of character development. Simply put, all the figures are little more than sketches

i don't read Maltin generally, but it seems like he concocted that review in about five minutes

:/

There are way too many 10/10 to call this a divisive movie. 2 out of 10 just can't accept or know that no character development is a plot point so you feel that you were there not gazing at character. When you are in the middle of chaos the intent was to deliver the feeling of chaos as if you were there and if you were there you simply would not care if harry missed his mom or not

The critics that always review Nolan's films with negatives deplorable. I honestly believe it's just for hits on their reviews. In an age of cinema where the lowest common denominator often prevails, here's an example of a filmmaker who treats his audiences intelligence with respect.

HorrorBiz wrote:Leonard Maltin didn't care for it. Nothing new there.

http://leonardmaltin.com/dunkirk-misses ... g-picture/
"Humorless" is one of the complaints about this movie I will never understand. I can't believe how many critics actually expected this movie to make them laugh. :facepalm:

Elyk988 wrote:The critics that always review Nolan's films with negatives deplorable. I honestly believe it's just for hits on their reviews. In an age of cinema where the lowest common denominator often prevails, here's an example of a filmmaker who treats his audiences intelligence with respect.
I think they just don't care for his style. It's all subjective.

Very interesting that new yorker and reverse shot were positive

New Yorker might get the film up to 95 on MC