Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Doug Walker liked it and he really dislikes most of Nolan's films.

dormouse7 wrote:Posted this in Official Reviews - very negative
I Think 'Dunkirk' Was Mediocre at Best, and It's Not Because I'm Some Naive Woman Who Doesn't Get It
http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/ne ... ie-review/
The thing is, I just don't think Dunkirk is a very good movie—if your definition of the word movie is "moving images held together by a plot." Like, yes: Dunkirk is very well-made. I felt like I was going to vomit during it, because that's how intense it was. And if your interests include riding a visual roller coaster called war, you will love it. But if you're a fan of films with plots, Dunkirk doesn't play that game. It's as if Christopher Nolan (sorry, "Nolan") plucked out the war scene from a script, and was like "let's just make this part extra long and call it a movie, lol."
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
But my main issue with Dunkirk is that it's so clearly designed for men to man-out over. And look, it's not like I need every movie to have "strong female leads." Wonder Woman can probably tide me over for at least a year, and I understand that this war was dominated by brave male soldiers. I get that. But the packaging of the film, the general vibe, and the tenor of the people applauding it just screams "men-only"—and specifically seems to cater to a certain type of very pretentious man who would love nothing more than to explain to me why I'm wrong about not liking it.
Of course not. That would be like banging one's head on a rock. In the end, it's your head that's bleeding and there's not even one scratch the rock. Ain't nobody got time for that.

This stupid article is being slammed on Twitter by men and women alike.

Men only.

£

If you read that article backwards it would still make the exact same amount of sense - nil

Edit: I just absolutely loathe how the girl made it seem like YET AGAIN another topic or issue about gender - in what bloody way is Dunkirk the macho "man" she described who would absolutely love to mansplain shit to her? Are those girls who like Nolan's films and Dunkirk, for that matter, stupids who suffer from internalized misogyny? What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to perform to make a "point" like that lol?

Ruth wrote:If you read that article backwards it would still make the exact same amount of sense - nil

Edit: I just absolutely loathe how the girl made it seem like YET AGAIN another topic or issue about gender - in what bloody way is Dunkirk the macho "man" she described who would absolutely love to mansplain shit to her? Are those girls who like Nolan's films and Dunkirk, for that matter, stupids who suffer from internalized misogyny? What kind of mental gymnastics do you have to perform to make a "point" like that lol?
Marie Claire has an article about women matching the colour of their lipstick to the colour of their nipples and say something about Harry like 'if it were an ad for a dating site' but have reported on every single rumour about his lovelife no matter how ridiculous. It's white feminism and SJW at its worst.

dunkirktrash wrote:
Ruth wrote:If you read that article backwards it would still make the exact same amount of sense - nil

Marie Claire has an article about women matching the colour of their lipstick to the colour of their nipples and say something about Harry like 'if it were an ad for a dating site' but have reported on every single rumour about his lovelife no matter how ridiculous. It's white feminism and SJW at its worst.
:facepalm: Idk I just don't want to sound like a rude person, but this is terrible, it's literally one of the reasons why so many people still look down on feminism these days.

In no way Dunkirk or Nolan have set out the make a statement about gender or feminism, and there literally wasn't a single moment where I've felt a strong "macho" masculine aura (hard to describe, but when it comes to films about guys in military, you'll prob get what I'm talking about), jesus christ. You'd read that and you'd think we all watched different films.

edit: btw I think I've seen the lipstick nipple thing on reddit, it's hilarious lmfao, people were even making videos on it

Where are all those people of color?

Pratham wrote:
if your definition of the word movie is "moving images held together by a plot." Like, yes: Dunkirk is very well-made.
Gets paid to write that shit.