Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote:"I would be saying this even if they both gave Dunkirk fresh tomatoes."

I don't know, I have a feeling if the two reviews had been Fresh, we would be pretty quiet and not complaining. :lol:
Yeah agreed.

Can't please everyone. I'm honestly surprised the reception so far has been this positive given the reviews that call it experimental or impressionist along with the complaints about structure and character. If you take experimental risks, you're gonna turn off some people.

okungnyo wrote:"I would be saying this even if they both gave Dunkirk fresh tomatoes."

I don't know, I have a feeling if the two reviews had been Fresh, we would be pretty quiet and not complaining. :lol:
Speak for yourself, but I don't see these things in hindsight. I would have been happy, but I wouldn't think that it's right. They might have done that for previous Nolan films as well, I'm not sure. I haven't checked.

However, I probably wouldn't have noticed it if they both were fresh. I investigate the rotten ones to see what their big qualms were with the film. It was then and there I realized they are not only from the same website, but that they are married.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 20th, 2017, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Bacon wrote:
bootsy wrote: And it was a husband/wife duo that took it down. Are you freaking kidding me.

(Wife) 'Honey I didn't like this movie'
(pussy whipped husband) 'Well if you didn't I didn't either honey, let's go to bed'
I noticed that too. That's some BS.
I looked a little further down their review history. It seems they both see and review the same exact films. Only every so often they disagree (I saw for Rough Night, Captain Underpants, Pirates, etc.). But they seem to be in agreement significantly more so than they disagree with each other.

I wouldn't consider that fair for RT. I would be saying this even if they both gave Dunkirk fresh tomatoes. What if six other people from the New York Times decided to review Dunkirk, and they all got put up on RT? Would that be okay? I've never actually seen that before, so I always assumed that it was not.

I understand the intent behind their website, but I just don't know. Doesn't seem right is all.
one media source(or so called media)/online platform , one review to take by RT

this 'a husband and wife " website make review, so take 2 of them, is nonsense

it doesn't matter if those two gives Dunkirk 2 '10 out of 10' reviews

only one review should be take in by RT

I am well aware that this is a war movie and there is a need for realism. However, I do not find it entertaining to be constantly nauseated for 106 minutes. "Dunkirk" is perpetually jarring --- I jumped and squealed at least a half dozen times.
All of this is what I loved the most about the movie. :lol:

I think there are couple more sites run by couples who review movies together. Urban Cinefile is one and they gave positive reviews for Dunkirk.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

Speak for yourself, but I don't see these things in hindsight. I would have been happy, but I wouldn't think that it's right. They might have done that for previous Nolan films as well, I'm not sure. I haven't checked.

However, I probably wouldn't have noticed it if they both were fresh. I investigate the rotten ones to see what their big qualms were with the film. It was then and there I realized they are not only from the same website, but that they are married.
Yeah good point. Now that I think about it, it really should count as one. They post on the same site but both of their reviews count? That seems a little unfair. Not sure how they got that privilege.

Wow. So looks like more and more people are being disappointed by the movie. In the words of our president, "Sad!"

Oku
redfirebird2008 wrote:Can't please everyone. I'm honestly surprised the reception so far has been this positive given the reviews that call it experimental or impressionist along with the complaints about structure and character. If you take experimental risks, you're gonna turn off some people.
This.

The lack of strong characters is a criticism that would easily tank any other film.

We should be happy that so many critics have decided not to get hung up on that.
GamingFreak wrote:I think there are couple more sites run by couples who review movies together. Urban Cinefile is one and they gave positive reviews for Dunkirk.
So the two sites cancel each other out. :lol:

okungnyo wrote:So the two sites cancel each other out. :lol:
Well, I wouldn't go that far. 99/105 is a smaller percentage than 97/101.