Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
lcbaseball22 wrote:
dunkirktrash wrote:I see a lot of people getting irked at negative reviews because they don't consider them fair (I agree with some of them). When you're a fan of someone popular, you kinda need to accept it. It comes with the territory. Certain reviewers sneer at what's popular, sometimes to stand out and draw attention to themselves, sometimes because they believe they're too special to fall for it. Lots of you sneered at Harry when he was cast (lots of you still do). His album has buzz of being nominated for a Grammy and it got a positive review from Pitchfork (one of the snobbiest music websites) and several positive reviews from sites like Rolling Stone, LA Times and the NY Times. Do you know what the single negative review is? A 30 in Metacritic from a website that's in the 80,000s Alexa Ranking and that has a sign that says 'save our site' in its home page. It is what it is. I was talking to someone about this in the past day, how similar my experiences as a Nolan and as a Harry fan are. Obviously there are differences (I don't believe Harry's album is even half as good as Dunkirk is, in their different fields, it's his first one, after all), but at the end of the day, for some people popular is popular.

I think the approach that people like My Cocaine have taken to it (laughing) is the best one. Getting seriously worked up over them is useless, not to mention trying to attack the reviewers on social media.
Where are you guys getting that there's a 30 score on Metacritic? :eh:
Re-read the post, slowly.

I wasn't talking about Dunkirk reviews. I was talking about my experience with negative reviews from people that sneer at popular artists for no reason. Though I've been ill all day and just logged in and read all the backed up pages and I think someone did mention that there's a review in the 30s that's yet to be added to Metacritic.

Chrolan wrote: Re-read the post, slowly.
Well I've also read reviews that say The Slate and others are sub 50 but I'm not seeing it, unless they just aren't posted yet or there's some sort of weird West Coast lag going on here...

It wouldn't surprise me one bit though; The Slate writers are pieces of shit and relish being contrarians it seems

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Well I've also read reviews that say The Slate and others are sub 50 but I'm not seeing it, unless they just aren't posted yet or there's some sort of weird West Coast lag going on here...

It wouldn't surprise me one bit though; The Slate writers are pieces of shit and relish being contrarians it seems
Slate's review was actually rated 100. Slant's review is a 1.5/4, so it will be a 37-38 score.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:

Slate's review was actually rated 100. Slant's review is a 1.5/4, so it will be a 37-38 score.
Doh, sorry I meant Slant, I get those two mixed up :facepalm:

It's fun seeing all the forum members who haven't posted in a long time coming out of the woodwork. Glad to know you're all still alive. Icbaseball22, I don't think I've seen you post since TDKR days. Or maybe you were there for Interstellar too, I can't remember. Anyway, do we know how much that troll review will take the Metacritic score down, or not really since they give different publications different weight in the score?

Hustler wrote:It's fun seeing all the forum members who haven't posted in a long time coming out of the woodwork. Glad to know you're all still alive. Icbaseball22, I don't think I've seen you post since TDKR days. Or maybe you were there for Interstellar too, I can't remember. Anyway, do we know how much that troll review will take the Metacritic score down, or not really since they give different publications different weight in the score?
Probably drop it 2 points max. I'd guess just 1 based on the weighting.

Hustler wrote:It's fun seeing all the forum members who haven't posted in a long time coming out of the woodwork. Glad to know you're all still alive. Icbaseball22, I don't think I've seen you post since TDKR days. Or maybe you were there for Interstellar too, I can't remember. Anyway, do we know how much that troll review will take the Metacritic score down, or not really since they give different publications different weight in the score?
I was around a bit for Interstellar too; frankly my interest was not highly piqued for Interstellar either until reactions from screenings and reviews started coming in, but I was a Nolan fan (though not NolanFan member mind you) long before Nolan rebooted/revolutionized Batman/Superhero films and I will be one long after regardless of the genres he dabbles in. :gonf:

Just watched the 2nd trailer on Rotten Tomatoes and combined with the incredible praise the critics have been laying on the past couple days I'm getting quite pumped!

As for the Metacritic review, I was just checking to see if it would even be posted cause there's at least a few Nolan films that I don't believe Slant made it on MC (ie Inception) but it looks like this writer will. :think:

Got another positive review on RT...
Avg. rating back up to 9/10. :D

Oku
dunkirktrash wrote:I see a lot of people getting irked at negative reviews because they don't consider them fair (I agree with some of them). When you're a fan of someone popular, you kinda need to accept it. It comes with the territory. Certain reviewers sneer at what's popular, sometimes to stand out and draw attention to themselves, sometimes because they believe they're too special to fall for it. Lots of you sneered at Harry when he was cast (lots of you still do). His album has buzz of being nominated for a Grammy and it got a positive review from Pitchfork (one of the snobbiest music websites) and several positive reviews from sites like Rolling Stone, LA Times and the NY Times. Do you know what the single negative review is? A 30 in Metacritic from a website that's in the 80,000s Alexa Ranking and that has a sign that says 'save our site' in its home page. It is what it is. I was talking to someone about this in the past day, how similar my experiences as a Nolan and as a Harry fan are. Obviously there are differences (I don't believe Harry's album is even half as good as Dunkirk is, in their different fields, it's his first one, after all), but at the end of the day, for some people popular is popular.

I think the approach that people like My Cocaine have taken to it (laughing) is the best one. Getting seriously worked up over them is useless, not to mention trying to attack the reviewers on social media.
It is funny just how similar the two fanbases are.

Also, this is something that I noticed, but you seem critical of Mr. Styles to such a high level (calling him out when he lies, saying that his music is subpar, and a few other things that I can't remember) that if I would never take you for a fan if I was judging solely by your posts alone.

What is up with that?? :lol: