Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I got my invitation too, as I said the other day. Unfortunately, screening passes in Madrid and Barcelona are on the 18th, 19th and 20th (outrageous, the fact that they are being held the day before the official release). I am going back to London on the 18th, but one of my best friends told me that he has been invited to another special screening on the 17th (a very private screening), so he's trying to get me there to go together. If I cannot attend, I will watch it in IMAX 70mm on the 21st.

YFR3 wrote:As a journalist, I watched Dunkirk this morning in Paris. I can't you tell too much because there's an embargo until next monday. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed (it's an understatement).

The narrative structure is really creative and interesting but flowing. It's really intense from the start to the end. You're almost exhausted and disoriented when you go out. And it's a real Nolan movie, full of dilemmas.

Mark Rylance is huge and the sound is incredible.
Oh crap. I'd like to ask some questions, if possible. They don't intend to be spoilery, but I understand if you won't be able to answer them.

- Are there any surprises that we haven't seen in set pics? (I think you followed production, if I remember correctly)
- Did the lack of characters' backstory hurt the film?
- What did you think of the score? Is it all based on the ticking or are there some more melodic moments like "Time"?
- Do you think the film and its narrative structure will be accessible enough to general audiences?
- What was the vibe among your fellow journalists after watching the movie? Did they enjoy it as well?
Last edited by Innovator on July 11th, 2017, 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am very much excited about the score. Anything that you can tell about that?

Could you provide a comment on Tom Hardy in the film. Much appreciated.

MyCocaine wrote:Could you provide a comment on Tom Hardy in the film. Much appreciated.
Brave and moving.

Innovator wrote:Are there any surprises that we haven't seen in set pics? (I think you followed production, if I remember correctly)
Yes ! Formal and narrative surprises. But you've got the main frame, the main events when you followed closely the production, the trailers, the prologue (even if they cheated on the prologue with one shot)
Did the lack of characters' backstory hurt the film?
Absolutely not in my opinion. But it might disturb some viewers because it's not the usual, standard narration for an American blockbuster.
What did you think of the score? Is it all based on the ticking or are there some more melodic moments like "Time"?
The sounds FX are so amazing, so intense that I didn't focus on the score. But it's okay, it suits the movie perfectly. It's a very tense soundtrack, like an hitchcockian Bernard Hermann's score.
Do you think the film and its narrative structure will be accessible enough to general audiences?
It's flowing. For me, it's OK, everything is clearly understandable.
What was the vibe among your fellow journalists after watching the movie? Did they enjoy it as well?
I talked with a colleague who's more interested in auteur films than in Hollywood blockbusters, and she really enjoyed it. And I had a chat with another friend who works for a big TV channel in France, and she enjoyed it too. People are amazed by the intensity of the movie, the emotion and the cast.
Last edited by YFR3 on July 11th, 2017, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speculation on oscar season?

-Vader

YFR3, thanks a bunch for replying.

Vader182 wrote:speculation on oscar season?

-Vader
It will win prizes I think.

Oku
Can you confirm whether these two things are true?

Spoiler 1:
It felt slow moving to me because you see the same events happen a few times over since the story isn't told in a non linear way. The beach POV is told over a week, sea told over a day, air told over an hour. All of them eventually come together to a single focal point. Different way to tell the story, but it felt slow moving to me because I saw some of the same things happen from three different points of view across three different points in time.
Spoiler 2:
The film opens with a group of soldiers in the streets of the town just off the beach.

When the film transitions for the first time to each of those places, that's when the title cards are shown.

[The Mole - one week Sea - one day Air - one hour]