Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Loved it, more thoughts later. However, this was one of the worst theatrical presentations of my life. The 15/70 was glorious, but the sound was so bad it took me out of the movie almost the entire time.

The sound in the theater (Indianapolis, drove 3.5 hours to get here) was the worst I've heard in any professional theater. Not just IMAX, period. Crazy over-emphasis on low end to the point bass was over just anonymous vibrating, mid end was soft, and low end was barely audible.

Could barely hear the score.

Everyone's saying they couldn't hear any dialogue. The theater sound was so broken I perfectly heard 99% of the lines here. It was like their speaker system had a broken mix that emphasized all the wrong things.

Honestly crushingly let down by this.

-Vader

I was a bit disappointed, though I really appreciated what Nolan was going for.
Its an arthouse film disguised as a blockbuster. It focuses more on the visuals,
sound mixing, and score (which were phenomenal), rather than the story. That made me less emotionally invested compared to where Interstellar made me cry my eyes out. It's super experimental and I don't think it's going to play well with the general audience.
Overall score after first viewing: 7/10.

Vader182 wrote:Loved it, more thoughts later. However, this was one of the worst theatrical presentations of my life. The 15/70 was glorious, but the sound was so bad it took me out of the movie almost the entire time.

The sound in the theater (Indianapolis, drove 3.5 hours to get here) was the worst I've heard in any professional theater. Not just IMAX, period. Crazy over-emphasis on low end to the point bass was over just anonymous vibrating, mid end was soft, and low end was barely audible.

Everyone's saying they couldn't hear any dialogue. The theater sound was so broken I perfectly heard 99% of the lines here. It was like their speaker system had a broken mix that emphasized all the wrong things.

-Vader
That is so disappointing. Im driving down there on Saturday

Anyone else think Fionn Whitehead almost functions as a Bressonian character?

Forum Pro
Law
tommyjon400 wrote:Saw it. Utterly disappointed.
The prologue was better than the movie. And that's a problem. Rex Reed is actually right here. Not only was it incoherent, it was also boring.
lmao!

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
Vader182 wrote:Loved it, more thoughts later. However, this was one of the worst theatrical presentations of my life. The 15/70 was glorious, but the sound was so bad it took me out of the movie almost the entire time.

-Vader
That sucks! The sound quality at my theater wasn't great as far as dialogue goes but the score sounded really good. Something happened with the tape or something at my theater and the first three minutes or so had the audio playing from another movie. Not even sure how that's possible but it was super annoying !

I don't care what you are talking about. If you ever say you agree with Rex Reed on anything, it's time to reconsider what you are doing with your life.

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
tommyjon400 wrote:Saw it. Utterly disappointed.
The prologue was better than the movie. And that's a problem. Rex Reed is actually right here. Not only was it incoherent, it was also boring.

Tbh I just got back from the theater and found it disappointing. Mostly because I expected there to be so much /more/. I think he made a big mistake pacing it so quickly and glossing over the moments that were SUPPOSED to be emotional, which were hardly touched on. Like
the drowning scene in the first ship, the tension of being worried Tommy and Alex wouldn't make it out and that they might drown was just... so glossed over. I was all prepared to shed a few tears over it and then BAM they were fine in 5 seconds. Same with the second drowning scene (though my heart broke for Aneurin's "Gibson" when he died). About the only scene that really got to me was with the young boy (I can't remember the actor for the life of me right now) who was holding his breath as long as he could, knowing he'd come up to flames and burn to death. That made me cry. The one really incredible scene that had me burst into tears from sheer relief was Tom Hardy landing the plane at the end. I thought for sure he wouldn't make it. The relief and the victory was so immense.... and then the heartbreak when you realized he survived all that, just to be captured by the Germans. God, my heart broke.
And I know he didn't want to give any backstory or really flesh-out characters so that we'd really feel the tension of the moment and depend on the situation/ to give it all to us.... but again, I personally think that was a mistake. About the only characters I really felt for were Alex, Aneurin's, Barry's, and Tom's.

I think if I hadn't known the run-time beforehand it would've been better. I felt like I was checking the clock every five minutes to see when it'd be over - not because it was boring but because I was desperately hoping there'd be MORE. I felt like I was just... watching a series of events happen to people I wasn't connected to beyond loving the actors and their interactions during promo, and I kept waiting for that moment that would hook me and make me care about them, which just made me sad because I've been looking forward to this movie since day one.

I was also very, very letdown with the score, though I don't know if I'd like it better just hearing it by itself on Spotify. I was expecting epic, sweeping music to go along with the scenes, and the only time I heard that was when the ships came for them. That moment brought me to tears. I just... expected more from one of my favorite composers of all time.

I feel so bad saying any of that though.

Just got out.

Holy shit.