Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Exceptional/10

I found this to be incredibly transportive and profoundly sad.

Forum Pro
Law
dormouse7 wrote:More questions/confusions
2. What the heck happened at the end in the shot-up trawler? it was too blurry underwater. It seemed like Alex attacked Gibson and kept him from the ladder? Wikipedia says instead that Gibson caught his ankle in a chain and drowns?
Alex hit him on the shoulder signaling Gibson to come with them. It just so happens when Gibson was following behind Alex he got his ankle tangled in a rope.

Did we not watch the same movie?
Last edited by Master Virgo on July 21st, 2017, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spiler tag

^ you didn't spoiler tag dormouse's post properly.

Forum Pro
Law
Bale Fan wrote:^ you didn't spoiler tag dormouse's post properly.
This is a review thread for people who've seen the movie. Why would anyone spoiler tag anything

Law wrote:
Did we not watch the same movie?
My husband was also confused by what exactly happened in the end in the shot-up trawler. And like someone on Reddit spoilers, my husband
thought he saw Gibson fine and alive later and exchanging a wink/nod with someone. I think my husband confused Tommy w/ Gibson - I think Tommy exchanges a nod with Alex.

I watched it last night on IMAX Laser. I didn't watch any teaser/trailer/TV spot/prologue or even listen to the soundtrack. Other than the historical background, the only thing I knew about the movie was the 3 timelines and that it had very little dialogue.

Let's start with my experience at the end of the movie. I was driving back on the freeway a little before midnight. Not too many cars, but there was construction going on and the width of the lanes was reduced to add a new lane. I was playing supermarine track in the background as well.. God! I never felt so claustrophobic driving through that section. And that's when I realized the movie had a far more impact on my senses than I thought.

Regarding the movie itself, the others have covered all the key things. Amazing score, sound design, cinematography, cutting between the three timelines etc. I'll be surprised if it doesn't win the Oscars for sound editing and mixing. The best I've heard in a movie. It was also the most intense experience I've ever had.

I felt Fionn didn't act well. He had the same expression throughout and the dialogue delivery in certain scenes paled in comparison to Styles. I know he was trying to show fear and how scared he was, but there was something about him that didn't come through for me. That was my only gripe about the movie. I'll be watching it again on regular 70MM on Sunday.

9.5/10

This is not a spoiler free thread. There are other threads for that. Use spoiler tags while discussing the plot points.£

Forum Pro
Law
Master Virgo wrote:This is not a spoiler free thread. There are other threads for that. Use spoiler tags while discussing the plot points.£
Can you explain why? Why would anyone who hasn't seen the movie come into this thread

Law wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:This is not a spoiler free thread. There are other threads for that. Use spoiler tags while discussing the plot points.£
Can you explain why? Why would anyone who hasn't seen the movie come into this thread
...to see what people think of it?

Forum Pro
Law
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Law wrote:
...to see what people think of it?