Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Law wrote:. I'd give it a 10/10 but the lead (Fionn Whitehead) didn't do it for me. Too many times I was wondering why he's showing literally no reaction. .
Same. It's probably the first time I couldn't connect to the lead in a Nolan movie. He was just...too bland. I know that's kind of the point, but Fionn's acting seemed flat and off at times. I couldn't bring myself to sympathise with his character. Other characters/actors managed to leave a far better impression despite their limited roles.

Master Virgo wrote:Lack of character development is just one of those cool things you can utter when you're a critic and you have to somehow elaborate on why a film hasn't connected with you. Show Alien to the same group of people and they will all shout "masterpiece". No one would even mention anything about the characterization or the absence of any backstory or whatnot.

I kind of feel that it also became a very important factor for younger film fans after GoT. People somehow came to this odd assumption that every other movies and TV show can only work if every now and then the characters sit around some fire or something and one of them start talking about what happened to them in their childhood or whatever.£
I think it's more than that that the critics just aren't saying, though. It's not that they don't have backstories, it's that there is no plot development whatsoever. This movie doesn't have a beginning or middle. It is in the final act of a three-act film when the movie begins.

My point is that they aren't necessary looking for the film to beef up the scenes that we already have, but they need a prelude. How did they get to the point that they are at? That's what most critics are looking for, in my opinion.

And please note that I am fine with the film as it is. I am merely playing devil's advocate, and more importantly I am giving the critics their due opportunity to say what they actually mean to say rather than getting it misconstrued (as many believe that's what the critics are doing snubbing Nolan).

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
My point is that they aren't necessary looking for the film to beef up the scenes that we already have, but they need a prelude. How did they get to the point that they are at? That's what most critics are looking for, in my opinion.
That's why it's pretty shocking to see the rave reviews from so many critics. I tend to think they do expect traditional storytelling. But I guess many of them feel this experimental approach from Nolan actually works in Dunkirk.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
That's why it's pretty shocking to see the rave reviews from so many critics. I tend to think they do expect traditional storytelling. But I guess many of them feel this experimental approach from Nolan actually works in Dunkirk.
Yes, because Nolan intended for it this way, he shot it in a way to make it work. Also, because it's not done often, it works because it's an exception.

Find my post again mentioning United 93, and you'd see an instance where it wouldn't work.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Yes, because Nolan intended for it this way, he shot it in a way to make it work. Also, because it's not done often, it works because it's an exception.

Find my post again mentioning United 93, and you'd see an instance where it wouldn't work.
United 93 wasn't conceived like this though, so it's sort of a false comparison to make. Nolan flat out says in interviews he wanted to take the 3rd acts of his previous movies and turn it into a full movie. It definitely will not work for everyone and it will be a huge turn-off for some people. That's the risk you take with radical experimentation.

I am very, very curious to see how this plays with regular ticket buyers. It has potential to blow up in Nolan and WB's face. :lol:

This is true.

I do personally think this will play fine with 30+ y.o. general audiences. Any teenage girls coming in to see Harry will probably not like the film very much due to its style.

The only thing I don't think this film will have going for it with general audiences is repeat viewings.

m4st4 wrote:That's what happens when you hype something 24-7, for two years. I've done it before and I'm going to cinema clear minded this time round. ;)

For those of you who've seen the movie, can you possibly rank Nolan movies now, or is it too early? Is Dunkirk low tier, mid tier or among his best for you?
It is up there along with Memento. Really great innovative spectacle, but in terms of rewatchibility rate not that high

Asanty wrote:
m4st4 wrote:That's what happens when you hype something 24-7, for two years. I've done it before and I'm going to cinema clear minded this time round. ;)

For those of you who've seen the movie, can you possibly rank Nolan movies now, or is it too early? Is Dunkirk low tier, mid tier or among his best for you?
It is up there along with Memento. Really great innovative spectacle, but in terms of rewatchibility rate not that high
Memento has a mandatory single repeat viewing. 20 repeat viewings? Maybe not so much. Have I seen it that many times, though? Yes, but partly because I show it to my students every year.

Memento for me might be the single most rewatchable film I've ever seen.£

So, life after Dunkirk feels different? I got out of the cinema an hour ago, and I feel like I'm still trying to process what I watched. I feel exhausted.

9/10.