Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
ChristNolan wrote:Just got out.

Holy shit.
I'm reading this as you being astounded with it's excellence, and if so, you ain't wrong, man.

Saw it 7 hours ago and the more i think about it, the more I like it. Seriously, its 5am where i am and I can't seem to fall asleep.

Sandy wrote:

Holy shit.
I'm reading this as you being astounded with it's excellence, and if so, you ain't wrong, man.
there you are

-Vader

Holy shit.
Did it top Interstellar?

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Nolan's 10 for 10.

Just got out. Unlike any war movie ive ever seen. Reactions were by no means "that was amazing!" but certainly not disappointing. The dog fighting is absolutely unbelievable. By far the most "accurate" war movie of all time. Almost feels like a documentary. Certainly a work of art.

Need a second viewing, but I think the first and third acts are aces and really next level film-craft, but the second drags a bit.

I just saw it in 70mm IMAX.

In general I loved the experience, but I found some things confusing, didn't really connect with the characters as much as I hoped, and also wished for more of some parts, so for now I am going with 8.5/10 (updated to 9/10 after 2nd viewing)

Some things that confused me...
1. How did Cillian hurt George? I thought I heard Peter say "He has a gun"? Did a gun go off and hurt George? Or did George get pushed? It was unclear to me.

2. Why did Alex want to put one person off the boat so the rest of them could live? I don't think putting one person off was going to make that vessel any more seaworthy. Did they think giving the Germans a person to shoot at would make them stop shooting at the boat?

3. Even with knowing about the overlapping timelines, I found it hard to tell if a particular Spitfire was supposed to be Collins', or what happened to Cillian's boat (there seemed to be several boats around?) my confusion was when you only saw the vehicle on the water and not who was in it.

4. Didn't understand Alex's final line on the train (music was too loud). I think I did understand most other dialogue
Some things I wanted more of
It felt a bit short to me.
I would have liked at least one night scene on the beach. It seemed like a long day instead of a week.
I hoped to see the Moonstone packed with soldiers on deck - it did not seem packed since the soldiers were below decks. It looked more packed during filming.
I hoped to see more struggles getting home (like Lightoller who had to dodge bombs and was nearly capsized by the wakes of big ships)
I feel like Nolan shot a lot of footage we didn't get to see in the film.
I loved the intensity of it. I thought the air scenes were perfect - not too much nor too little.
I loved Farrier's final scenes - gliding with no engine. Very moving.
And btw - Churchill's speech needed to be at the end because he did not make that speech until the last day of the (British part of the?) evacuation.
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 29th, 2017, 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

Just got out of my IMAX showing.

Woah. That was an experience like no other. Leaving the theater i literally didn't know what to feel. I was in awe. It's definitely Nolans best directed film. The score, sound mixing(holy shit dude) l, editing, cinematography were all on point.

The films not perfect tho. I don't know how to explain it but it felt too short for me and the characters weren't all that. I need to watch this a second time.
My theater was packed at the end and they all clapped.

Id give it 9/10

dormouse7 wrote:I just saw it in 70mm IMAX.

In general I loved the experience, but I found some things confusing and didn't really connect with the characters as much as I hoped, and also wished for more of some parts, so for now I am going with 8.5/10

Some things that confused me...
1. How did Cillian hurt George? I thought I heard Peter say "He has a gun"? Did a gun go off and hurt Peter? Or did George get pushed? It was unclear to me.

2. Why did Alex want to put one person off the boat so the rest of them could live? I don't think putting one person off was going to make that vessel any more seaworthy. Did they think giving the Germans a person to shoot at would make them stop shooting at the boat?

3. Even with knowing about the overlapping timelines, I found it hard to tell if a particular Spitfire was supposed to be Collins', or what happened to Cillian's boat (there seemed to be several boats around?)

4. Didn't understand Alex's final line on the train (music was too loud). I think I did understand most other dialogue
Some things I wanted more of
It felt a bit short to me.
I would have liked at least one night scene on the beach. It seemed like a long day instead of a week.
I hoped to see the Moonstone packed with soldiers on deck - it did not seem packed with the soldiers below decks.
I hoped to see more struggles getting home (like Lightoller who had to dodge bombs and was nearly capsized by the wakes of big ships)
I feel like Nolan shot a lot of footage we didn't get to see in the film.
I loved the intensity of it. I thought the air scenes were perfect - not too much nor too little.
I loved Farrier's final scenes - gliding with no engine. Very moving.
And btw - Churchill's speech needed to be at the end because he did not make that speech until the last day of the (British part of the?) evacuation.

Didn't he push him? Btw these are kinda nipticky but to each their own. I have few negatives myself.