[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Hehe - it actually looked like that in one BTS video I watched yesterday - the Spitfire propeller looked like it was turning slowly.

Dobson wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:^ Yup, the only thing certainly CGI'd is the propeller on the nose of the plane.
Couldn't they somehow match the rotation frequency of the propeller to the camera, so that it looks like the propeller is standing still? Just wondering.
Heck, I figured just for moments of time they would actually stall the engine and actually glide the plane for the sake of the shots.

I've seen Dunkirk three times now and I'm still afraid to read this Spoilers Thread for fear some numbskull will ruin it for me.

Second viewing in 70 mm IMAX was unreal. Love how all the timelines connected and the perspective of characters in certain moments differed from another person (Collins "waving" to Farrier). The civilian boats being cheered on by the soldiers on the destroyer was such a triumphant moment and well earned.

I read that Alex had the only "fucks" but both times I heard:

Collins says "fuck" when his plane is shot.
Tommy says to Alex while in the boat, "Fuck no, I'm going home."

MyCocaine wrote:

This is from the same scene where some people thought it was CGI and green screen.
Thank you. Told you guys it wasn't CGI.

Saw it in IMAX 70mm as my second viewing. Truly a glorious and once lifetime experience.

A spoiler question though. I finally found out how Gibson died, indeed, a chain was weighing him down.
The only reason i knew though was the sound mix distinctly had the sound of rattling chains while Gibson was struggling.
Does anyone think Alex deliberately chained him because he was convinced he was a spy?
Alex is probably the most unlikeable character in the film, it always gets under my skin that he was such a paranoid ass and then he relishes in the reception and the end that moments ago he didn't think he deserved. Cheeky casting by Nolan.

hplalakrs2001 wrote:Saw it in IMAX 70mm as my second viewing. Truly a glorious and once lifetime experience.

A spoiler question though. I finally found out how Gibson died, indeed, a chain was weighing him down.
The only reason i knew though was the sound mix distinctly had the sound of rattling chains while Gibson was struggling.
Does anyone think Alex deliberately chained him because he was convinced he was a spy?
Alex is probably the most unlikeable character in the film, it always gets under my skin that he was such a paranoid ass and then he relishes in the reception and the end that moments ago he didn't think he deserved. Cheeky casting by Nolan.
Apparently a lot of people have trouble really seeing/understanding what happens in that scene. Alex does not do anything to hurt Gibson as they leave the boat. Gibson didnt understand when the others said to abandon ship, and Alex deliberately calls his name to get his attention and tell him to leave. Alex tries to save him there, getting redemption for his earlier threaths. The fact that Gibson doesnt make it out is to no fault of Alex, its simply bad luck that he gets caught on a chain.

I think its a real shame that so many people just sees Alex as the bad guy. Theres much more to him. And the whole ending between Tommy and Alex on the moonstone and the train sure must have a very different feel to it if you think Alex did hurt Gibson compared to knowing he tried to help him.

hplalakrs2001 wrote:Saw it in IMAX 70mm as my second viewing. Truly a glorious and once lifetime experience.

I was similarly confused the first time I watched it. I was pretty overwhelmed by the time that scene happened. All I saw the first time was... Alex and Gibson are the last two on the sinking boat, Alex moves towards Gibson, there is some kind of murky struggling, Gibson dies. I was horrified - I thought Alex had pushed Gibson away from the ladder or somehow caused him to die.

But I watched carefully on my second watching and all Alex does is tap Gibson on the shoulder to get his attention, then Alex heads out of the boat, I guess assuming Gibson is following. Then as Alex is getting out of the boat you see Gibson is struggling. Others say you hear the sound of chains. Gibson drowns. Wikipedia says Gibson caught his ankle in the chains and drowned. I do think it could have been clearer. I do not think anybody chained Gibson to anything.

Re Alex being undeserving of the homecoming celebration...
Chris: What I love about the way Harry Styles played him is that he's very ashamed, he's carrying a lot of weight, and then he sees some pretty girls with pork pies and it's "Hey! We're heroes!".
Chris: You know Alex is a simple soul. It's like, actually, what was I worried about? On to the next thing.

Cilogy wrote:The use of parallel action in this film seems like new territory for Nolan.

The German plane approaching The Moonstone, intercut with the same German plane being shot down by Farrier. The buildup and the payoff is edited perfectly. So you get the satisfaction of the plane missing The Moonstone but also the the cheer-worthy moment of Farrier saving everyone.

He did something similar with Interstellar with Murph burning down the crops/Mann sabotaging the mission, but it didn't seem as closely connected as this.

Shit, I feel like doing that write-up on Nolan's use of time I've been meaning to do for like 5 years.
I also felt that it was the same plane...watched it twice.Maybe one more view can clarify this.

Nolan_Fan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:The use of parallel action in this film seems like new territory for Nolan.

The German plane approaching The Moonstone, intercut with the same German plane being shot down by Farrier. The buildup and the payoff is edited perfectly. So you get the satisfaction of the plane missing The Moonstone but also the the cheer-worthy moment of Farrier saving everyone.

He did something similar with Interstellar with Murph burning down the crops/Mann sabotaging the mission, but it didn't seem as closely connected as this.

Shit, I feel like doing that write-up on Nolan's use of time I've been meaning to do for like 5 years.
I also felt that it was the same plane...watched it twice.Maybe one more view can clarify this.
They sound different, but it would certainly be more fitting if it was the same plane.