[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Thanks all.

Now here's an actual question...

Out of the 11 main characters, whose names are never spoken/revealed?

Dawson, Peter and George's names are all spoken.
Shivering Soldier has none.
Gibson - I don't think he gives his real name (though I don't understand French).
Bolton and Winnant - I think (not sure) they are mentioned (in introductions maybe)?
Farrier and Collins - not sure (generally called by their Fortis numbers)
Alex and Tommy - I don't remember hearing their names mentioned.
I know Farrier's name was definitely said once by Collins. I remember because he pronounced it more like "Fawrrier" than what I expected to be like "Fairrier."

It may have been when he was hit and preparing for a water landing.
Collins said Farrier's name quite a bit lol. But he pronounces it the way I NEVER thought it was supposed to be lol. Praised be the subtitles, sadly my ears can't always handle Scottish accents :lol:

Farrier also calls out to Collins numerous times, but those are their last names, so we don't get to hear their first names. I also think I've heard Bolton, but DEF not Alex nor Tommy.

Btw, everybody already knows this probably, but George has a last name of Mills - caught this detail in that newspaper shot.

I did not catch that about George's last name. At least one review still thinks Peter and George are brothers, even though I think it is George who calls him Mr. Dawson.

I think the reason
pseudo-Gibson died was because there was simply pouring too much water into the trawler. He was pushed back by the massive amount of it. Or at least that's what it looked like.
I loved that all the underwater scenes/shots were murky as hell. As it should be. Too many films have way too clear underwater scenes/shots when that simply can't be. Except when it's taking place in an actual water tank in the film lol
It was always something which bugged me about SPR's opening scene. The moment the soldiers drop in the water it's clear and blue as fuck. Next time the camera goes under much closer to the shore it's murky, as it was where they shot that.

Oku
Bacon wrote:Blappity bloop read that wrong
"Blappity bloop" :lol:
Willem wrote:It maybe wasn't the best question. But the "all she ever does" sentence is pretty much bullshit. She had some great input on the forum during the wait.
Where is the "all she ever does" sentence?

Ctrl+f turns up nothing, I can't find it.
Bacon wrote:WHOA WHOA WHOA I TAKE IT BACK

My bad super sorry about that. didn't realize he was quoting dormouse. Thought it was for okungnyo who literally only posts questions asking for clarification.
What did your post say? :P
Ruth wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Thanks all.

Now here's an actual question...

Out of the 11 main characters, whose names are never spoken/revealed?

Dawson, Peter and George's names are all spoken.
Shivering Soldier has none.
Gibson - I don't think he gives his real name (though I don't understand French).
Bolton and Winnant - I think (not sure) they are mentioned (in introductions maybe)?
Farrier and Collins - not sure (generally called by their Fortis numbers)
Alex and Tommy - I don't remember hearing their names mentioned.
I know Farrier's name was definitely said once by Collins. I remember because he pronounced it more like "Fawrrier" than what I expected to be like "Fairrier."

It may have been when he was hit and preparing for a water landing.
Collins said Farrier's name quite a bit lol. But he pronounces it the way I NEVER thought it was supposed to be lol. Praised be the subtitles, sadly my ears can't always handle Scottish accents :lol:

Farrier also calls out to Collins numerous times, but those are their last names, so we don't get to hear their first names. I also think I've heard Bolton, but DEF not Alex nor Tommy.

Btw, everybody already knows this probably, but George has a last name of Mills - caught this detail in that newspaper shot.
You couldn't tell he was saying "Farrier" without subtitles?? :shock:

I've listened to the whole soundtrack, but I couldn't find the music that plays early on in the movie when Tommy and Gibson are carrying the wounded solider on the stretcher.

GeniusNolan wrote:I've listened to the whole soundtrack, but I couldn't find the music that plays early on in the movie when Tommy and Gibson are carrying the wounded solider on the stretcher.
Yeah, I noticed on my second viewing that basically half of the music that's in the movie is not in the soundtrack.

Would someone explain part of the ending to me? The part where Dawson asks his son to perform some maneuver with the boat and tells him not to do it until he says. Then after that a German plane flies by and Dawson says something like "he has bigger fish to fry".

Geoffrey wrote:Would someone explain part of the ending to me? The part where Dawson asks his son to perform some maneuver with the boat and tells him not to do it until he says. Then after that a German plane flies by and Dawson says something like "he has bigger fish to fry".
If you're asking about the maneuver, it seems like they got the bomber to commit to a line that was in front of them, and then they kind of did like a skidding brake or something (I don't know what it's called in boat terms) and the plane came out in front of them.

Regarding the "bigger fish to fry" line, I assumed the bomber just said: "Oh well, fuck it," and continued toward the Dunkirk beaches. However, according to some members here, that plane is not the same plane that Farrier shoots down when he's out of gas near the end. I assumed that was supposed to be the same bomber, a little later in the timeline.

Does anyone think that Farrier should NOT have shot down the bomber near the end, which caused the pilot to crash land in the oil and ignite it? I get his intention was to save lives, but would the bomber really have killed more soldiers if it stayed in the air? Perhaps this scene shows that casualties in war can never be prevented, and are oftentimes due to unforeseen circumstances.

Newklear_Phil wrote:Does anyone think that Farrier should NOT have shot down the bomber near the end, which caused the pilot to crash land in the oil and ignite it? I get his intention was to save lives, but would the bomber really have killed more soldiers if it stayed in the air? Perhaps this scene shows that casualties in war can never be prevented, and are oftentimes due to unforeseen circumstances.
He spent so long contemplating whether he should have done it, that maybe if he had done it earlier none of that would've happened.

And unfortunately I don't think you can think the way you're thinking about. Always minimize casualties.