[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Nolan_Fan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:The use of parallel action in this film seems like new territory for Nolan.

The German plane approaching The Moonstone, intercut with the same German plane being shot down by Farrier. The buildup and the payoff is edited perfectly. So you get the satisfaction of the plane missing The Moonstone but also the the cheer-worthy moment of Farrier saving everyone.

He did something similar with Interstellar with Murph burning down the crops/Mann sabotaging the mission, but it didn't seem as closely connected as this.

Shit, I feel like doing that write-up on Nolan's use of time I've been meaning to do for like 5 years.
I also felt that it was the same plane...watched it twice.Maybe one more view can clarify this.
They sound different, but it would certainly be more fitting if it was the same plane.
Yeah, the script says that the plane that strafes the Moonstone is a Messerschmitt, while the plane that was about to bomb Commander Bolton (and that Farrier shoots down) is a Stuka.

Yeah, its definitelly a different plane. On my first viewing I thought it was the same one, but on all other screenings it was pretty clear to me that those are different planes.

I feel a bit strange about the whole scene, the Moonstone evading part was fine, but Im still processing the Bolton one.

One of the first moments I started to care about Tommys character was the way he asked Gibson for water.

Well played Fionn :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couple of things I wonder about...

1. The screenplay says that under the mole, Tommy pulled Alex from the water. I thought Gibson did that. Who did it? This BTS photos seems to show Tommy near the newly pulled-out Alex:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thea ... -10223.jpg

2. In the destroyer... Alex says 'What's wrong with your friend?" and Tommy says "Looking for a quick way out. In case we go down." Do you think Tommy is just guessing? Gibson never entered, and probably never spoke to him.

1. It's Tommy
2. It's the only logical assumption

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Nolan_Fan wrote:
Cilogy wrote:The use of parallel action in this film seems like new territory for Nolan.

The German plane approaching The Moonstone, intercut with the same German plane being shot down by Farrier. The buildup and the payoff is edited perfectly. So you get the satisfaction of the plane missing The Moonstone but also the the cheer-worthy moment of Farrier saving everyone.

He did something similar with Interstellar with Murph burning down the crops/Mann sabotaging the mission, but it didn't seem as closely connected as this.

Shit, I feel like doing that write-up on Nolan's use of time I've been meaning to do for like 5 years.
I also felt that it was the same plane...watched it twice.Maybe one more view can clarify this.
They sound different, but it would certainly be more fitting if it was the same plane.
Yes definetly..thought the parallel editing was done for that.

Oku
Does anyone remember near the end of the film,
who saluted first, Colonel Winnant or Captain Bolton
?

okungnyo wrote:Does anyone remember near the end of the film,
?
The former.

okungnyo wrote:Does anyone remember near the end of the film,
?
Colonel Winnant

Oku
Well then, according to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/journalism ... 2112133708

Colonel (Army) outranks Commander (Navy), so Commander Bolton should have saluted first. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salute#British_military
"The subordinate salutes first and maintains the salute until the superior has responded in kind."

But then I guess Colonel Winnant did it out of so much respect for Commander Bolton for bravely staying behind?

Mr. Branagh being fifteen years older than Mr. D'Arcy in real life is also probably a factor??