[SPOILERS] Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Geoffrey wrote:Maybe I missed a shot or so, but I didn't even see George get hurt. I may have seen him get pushed to the side for a second but then it felt jarring for the movie to suddenly act like he got into the worst MMA fight possible.
It's not like I'm trying to defend this movie or anything, but people can literally die falling off a bike. I landed on the very same spot falling down the stairs once (I actually just remembered this fact lol) years ago, and it's probably just a very lucky coincidence I got off without an injury. Stuff like this is so weird you can never foresee how a person's body will handle falls, blows or any kind of physical "contact" for that matter

dormouse7 wrote:I also totally missed how George got hurt. My husband said he saw George get pushed and fall down the stairs and hit his head on something there.
When Cillian's character goes for the steering wheel and George attempts to intervene, I believe his elbow flies back into George, and I think he hits something to the right by the top of the set of stairs before flying down. We don't see his impact on the lower level, so I don't know if he hits his head down below or up top.

DHOPW42 wrote:This may have been discussed earlier, but what do you guys make of the very last shot?
We see the burning plane, fade to black, and then it cuts back to Tommy reading the papers once more.
Anyone? I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this because I don't get it myself.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:I also totally missed how George got hurt. My husband said he saw George get pushed and fall down the stairs and hit his head on something there.
When Cillian's character goes for the steering wheel and George attempts to intervene, I believe his elbow flies back into George, and I think he hits something to the right by the top of the set of stairs before flying down. We don't see his impact on the lower level, so I don't know if he hits his head down below or up top.
He falls down and hits valve(?) of pipe.

dormouse7 wrote:Did Tommy also throw away his gun (after he turned and fired at the wood fence, and before he reached the French soldiers and sandbags)?
Tommy reloads his gun and starts firing and then eventually throws it down so he can run away without having to carry it.

George falls down the stairs and his head on the valve at the bottom of the stairs. It doesn't show it happen, it shows George the get pushed and you see him fall out of frame and the next shot is him on the floor gasping with valve right in frame above him.
Last edited by Bacon on July 23rd, 2017, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Pro
Law
Bale Fan wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:This may have been discussed earlier, but what do you guys make of the very last shot?
We see the burning plane, fade to black, and then it cuts back to Tommy reading the papers once more.
Anyone? I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this because I don't get it myself.
The movie begins and ends with the character

They definitely should have ended on the burning plane. If they didn't include the black screen dividing the last shot with Tommy and the flaming wreckage then I wouldn't have even noticed, but because they did, the last shot feels tacked on and out of place.

Oku
I get where you're coming from, but after reading Mr. Nolan's explanation, I agree with him, it's haunting.

Geoffrey wrote:Maybe I missed a shot or so, but I didn't even see George get hurt. I may have seen him get pushed to the side for a second but then it felt jarring for the movie to suddenly act like he got into the worst MMA fight possible.
On my second viewing today, George cracks his head hard on the door frame even before he falls down the stairs.

The sequence that plays out once they're are forced back to the beach is astonishing.

A dreamlike quality. Haunting images are strung together beautifully.

Also, during the sequence I thought I was watching a David Lean picture.