Rotten Tomatoes Predictions

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Mid 50s.

Low 40's

75%

OVER 9000!!!!!!

What the hey, I'll be a bit of an optimist here.

I could see it getting a reception like Mad Max and Gravity where spectacle/directing won over critics even if the story and dialogue was scant. Heck even from the trailers I have a gut feeling this is going to be Nolan's big directing showcase (i.e. the film hinges on the directing).

I always get nervous about this stuff when it comes to Nolan, and I'm probably being too optimistic but...meh, when in Rome I suppose.

I'll guess Dunkirk ends up with a 97% and an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 (unless the 'lack of blood' hurts it -- in which case i see it pulling off a 93% with an avg. rating of 8.3 out of 10).

If it gets this rating, chances are I think Nolan will likely be at least walking away with a Best Director statuette, if not Best Picture, come next winter.

tommyjon400 wrote:Yeah but this is not a typical action movie. If you saw the prologue you know how it opens. Also, Nolan and others who have seen it said it's non-stop action with very little dialogue. Mad Max was a very generic over the top action movie. Dunkirk won't be.

Oku
HorrorBiz wrote:
tommyjon400 wrote:Yeah but this is not a typical action movie. If you saw the prologue you know how it opens. Also, Nolan and others who have seen it said it's non-stop action with very little dialogue. Mad Max was a very generic over the top action movie. Dunkirk won't be.
I think that what he/she is saying that Mad Max: Fury Road is very much an action movie in the traditional sense, with characters that feel/look like movie characters, dialogue that feels like movie dialogue, etc.

It was critically acclaimed because it executed the traditional action movie beats in the best way possible.

But Dunkirk has that sense of hyperrealism, with no traditional Hollywood leading character, no Hollywood villain character, etc.

And although people say all the time they want something new in movies, maybe they just want familiar things executed well.

So Dunkirk breaking all those 'rules' (if you could call it that) may throw people off, is what I think that person is saying.

i’m not sure how inventing a new cinematic language could be passed off as generic but okay

and as for Dunkirk breaking all the rules, Nolan’s been doing the narrative perspective time jumping thing since Following - it is by far his most defining trait as a director stylisitically and also one of the most praised aspects of his filmmaking - i doubt critics would suddenly turn on him for that of all things

I predict Armond White will love this movie.

Hustler wrote:I predict Armond White will love this movie.
Uh oh, that's not a good thing...