Rotten Tomatoes Predictions

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
um

this thread is a dumpster fire

Michaelf2225 wrote:um

:lol: yee

reaction.gif

this thread is a rotten tomato

81%

Vader182 wrote:
okungnyo wrote: Mad Max: Fury Road follows some pretty standard beats:
Badass tough action hero leads to root for.
Why aren't the leads in Dunkirk "badass tough action hero leads"? They're brave, focused, trained. What's the difference?
okungnyo wrote: Villain that does villainy things for you to hate so you cheer when he finally is defeated.
What about Germany conquering like, the world. That's pretty "villainy" wouldn't you say? Oh my god, are you a Nazi?
okungnyo wrote: The plucky group of heroes taking on a much larger faceless army of villains and overcoming insurmountable odds to somehow emerge victorious.
this is literally what happened in the evacuation of Dunkirk
okungnyo wrote: Now compare that to Dunkirk:
Not your standard action movie lead.
Can anyone clue me in to what this means? What's a standard action movie lead? I mean... no, Tom Cruise isn't in this movie.... Well do you mean fame? Since lots of movies cast unknowns.......including this really obscure war movie Saving Private Ryan. Do you mean show heroic characteristics? Since they're going to.
okungnyo wrote: No villain character.

okungnyo wrote: The good guys aren't taking on anything; in fact, they're running away from the enemy.
THEY. ARE. FIGHTING. GERMANS.

This movie covers land, air, and sea. Two out of three storylines in Dunkirk show characters in relative safety rushing into danger to execute a complex evacuation. They're not.... running away.
okungnyo wrote: You might have seen these things in other types of movies, but not in an action movie, which is the point that I'm trying to make (or rather, that other user is).
Dunkirk isn't an action movie. Mission Impossible 5 is an action movie. Transformers is an action movie.

Nolan is essentially combining the WWII genre with the suspense genre via Hitchcock and Clouzot (The Wages of Fear). In the case of the former, there are actually a million WWII movies where evacuations are a major event. There are also a million WWII movies with unknowns in the leads roles. BOTH of these apply to one of the most recent WWII movie... Letters from Iwo fits these bizarre parameters you've set for yourself.

-Vader

stop obsessing

70%

Vader, that shit ain't good for your health.

yea, the guy will never stop, it's better to just back off before you lose your sanity.

good morning, this whole sub is

Oku
Ruth wrote:yea, the guy will never stop, it's better to just back off before you lose your sanity.

good morning, this whole sub is
That's a weird way of saying, "I was spewing vitrol and acting superior as usual towards those darn pesky newbies who are ruining the Dunkirk subforum, only I didn't expect one to actually start replying and arguing back."

Edit: but yes, let's stop now, because there's no point in arguing any further. You'll just discount everything I say by throwing ad hominems at me again.