Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote:The fan in me of course wants Dunkirk to win, but Blade Runner is a 99.9% guaranteed lock because it's flashier, it's coming out in October so it will be fresher in the minds of voters than Dunkirk, and most importantly, because Mr. Deakins has been nominated twelve times for an Oscar but hasn't won a single one.

The consensus is that he's long overdue for a win, and that this is his 'turn', like Mr. DiCaprio's Best Actor win in 2016.
The release date is definitely a problem. Would be nice if Hoyte can get a nomination. He has never been nominated, which is crazy given the quality of his work for many years.

Beauty

That's the back of Fionn's head no, exactly like the first poster :P

Some wanted to believe it's Harry :D Fionn makes a lot more sense. He's the lead and his costume matches perfectly.

What's the chances of Nolan/Hoyte having any POV shots in Dunkirk? That would look insane in IMAX but it kind of goes against his filmmaking style.

Oku
I agree, it would look kind of cheap and ill-fitting with the classical style he is going for in Dunkirk.

I remember people talking about how jarring the POV GoPro shots were during the barrel scene in The Hobbit.

okungnyo wrote: I remember people talking about how jarring the POV GoPro shots were during the barrel scene in The Hobbit.
That was so weird seeing that on the big screen. Kinda off-putting

this is an interesting conversation, because like a quarter of the space shots in Interstellar are GoPro pov style

edit: there’s a few in the trailers and TV spots for Dunkirk as well btw

but i realize you guys are talking about actual POV style like mounted to someone’s head - i doubt that’ll happen

And besides, mounting an IMAX camera on a soldiers head would be a little difficult :lol:

I doubt it too, but if there was any movie for Nolan to do so, it'd be this. Considering how much he's talked about the immediacy of the event and putting you right there with the soldiers.