Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
The AR switch only bothers me on TDKR because it's so often and many times it's kind of out of nowhere. TDK works (mainly aerial shots or action sequences) and Interstellar works (end of the film).

I've seen it five times now and I couldn't possibly tell you, when the aspect ratio changes.

I started out determined to look for it but got lost in the film. Total immersion.

MyCocaine wrote:I've seen it five times now and I couldn't possibly tell you, when the aspect ratio changes.

I started out determined to look for it but got lost in the film. Total immersion.
I saw it in digital the first and third times, and knew instantly when it was one versus the other. This is with a non-AR switch, mind you.

Bacon wrote:The AR switch only bothers me on TDKR because it's so often and many times it's kind of out of nowhere. TDK works (mainly aerial shots or action sequences) and Interstellar works (end of the film).
i don't think it's any more offensive in TDKR than his other films

Interstellar has the switches in the wormhole sequence

and it's kind of all over the place in TDK - but i may not be the right person to give an opinion on this - the changes have never actually bothered me in the slightest save for one shot in TDKR (the damn wire going taught when Bruce jumps out the window)

Oku
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
okungnyo wrote:In The Dark Knight kidnapping scene that MuffinMcFluffin brought up, for example, all exterior shots are IMAX, while all interior shots are not.
Not entirely true:

I bet with what Nolan and Hoytema are able to do today, that they would have shot this entire sequence in IMAX, even when Lau is on the phone before Batman jumps off the building.

I appreciate when Nolan does IMAX as I watch it in 15/70 at the theater, but before Interstellar it has been a jarring effect at home, and it's not until Dunkirk that I feel it has limited his directorial creativity (especially with his ability to go "handheld" with one now).
But that's when the explosion occurs, i.e. when the interior becomes exterior.

So it still holds true. :P

I agree however that his insistence on shooting with IMAX (heavy, requires ADR, can only shoot for three minutes at a time) has caused many detriments.

If he were like Mr. Fincher and determined to continue to get the best shot no matter how long it takes, that would be one thing.

But he's an economical filmmaker; if it looks fine, he moves on, which coupled with how long it takes IMAX film to get back from the lab, causes many issues to escape unnoticed until too late, such as that smirking extra.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
Bacon wrote:The AR switch only bothers me on TDKR because it's so often and many times it's kind of out of nowhere. TDK works (mainly aerial shots or action sequences) and Interstellar works (end of the film).
i don't think it's any more offensive in TDKR than his other films

Interstellar has the switches in the wormhole sequence

and it's kind of all over the place in TDK - but i may not be the right person to give an opinion on this - the changes have never actually bothered me in the slightest save for one shot in TDKR (the damn wire going taught when Bruce jumps out the window)
Interstellar's switches in the wormhole sequence are consistent: exterior, IMAX; interior, non-IMAX.

Whereas in The Dark Knight Rises, there are numerous random IMAX shots like the one of Bruce waking up and calling for Alfred.

I desperately wish they'd just have the option for the aspect ratios on the blurays. I find the switches incredibly distracting.

I'd rather have strangely-placed AR switches than not have them at all, i.e. Catching Fire on 4k.

titansupes wrote:I desperately wish they'd just have the option for the aspect ratios on the blurays. I find the switches incredibly distracting.
I made Blu-ray versions of TDK, TDKR and Interstellar with no AR-switching, and I love it.

okungnyo wrote:Whereas in The Dark Knight Rises, there are numerous random IMAX shots like the one of Bruce waking up and calling for Alfred.
Yes, perhaps the most strangely placed IMAX shot ever created!

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: I made Blu-ray versions of TDK, TDKR and Interstellar with no AR-switching, and I love it.
Jealous.

Oku
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:I'd rather have strangely-placed AR switches than not have them at all, i.e. Catching Fire on 4k.
What's strangely-placed about the aspect ratio switches in that??

There's only one shift, isn't there?