Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Geoffrey wrote:
okungnyo wrote:What is a harsh focus?
Just a strong focus in other words, where the background of an image is very heavily blurred and only the subject is in focus.
Are you just making up terms?

LOL! It's called a "shallow depth of field".

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
okungnyo wrote:What is a harsh focus?
Just a strong focus in other words, where the background of an image is very heavily blurred and only the subject is in focus.
No, I'm not making up terms. It's called English. Do you not know what the words "harsh" and "focus" mean? It's basic English. I wasn't claiming to be using the preferred terminology.

Geoffrey wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: Just a strong focus in other words, where the background of an image is very heavily blurred and only the subject is in focus.
No, I'm not making up terms. It's called English. Do you not know what the words "harsh" and "focus" mean? It's basic English. I wasn't claiming to be using the preferred terminology.
so you were making up terms...

Nicewatch wrote:I have not sent the link to the PDF to the 4 of you above. If anyone else does not want it, please send me a PM. Thanks!
So I (totally haven't) sent a PM, but not sure if it went through. So posting here just in case. For no particular reason. *cough*

Michaelf2225 wrote:so you were making up terms...
No, I didn't make anything up. I didn't use the preferred terminology, but I didn't authoritatively define what I described as a "harsh focus". I used basic English to describe it. If that counts as "making terms up" then I guess you just made up several terms for your sentence.

I loved that sometimes the planes seem to leap out of the screen in certain shots. Especially when one of the Messerschmitts gets taken down and starts to make a dive, you can almost touch it lol better 3D than 3D will ever be.

Why was this film not shot entirely in 70mm IMAX?

1- Camera's too loud for intimate dialogue scenes and Nolan hates ADR.
2- Too big to be used on the Moonstone (although they did shoot a little bit of IMAX on the Moonstone).

ArmandFancypants wrote:
There's a lot of that in these parts.
Bacon wrote:Why was this film not shot entirely in 70mm IMAX?
The same answer since 2008.

-Vader