Dunkirk's Cinematography

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Dobson wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:I hope Hoyte watched A Very Long Engagement. It was nominated for Best Cinematography on Oscars, and could perfectly fit Nolan's Dunkirk. Jurk LOOK at it. Gosh, if there's anything I want Dunkirk to look like, it's here:

Looks beautiful, but I don't really like the green colour that much.

Yes, that's it! Without the green filter, but with the same style, epic shots, larger than this one, but with the same feel of epicness - that's how I want Dunkirk to look like.

Makes sense. They're both almost the same age so their collaboration could continue for decades.
Also, the media seems conflicted on his nationality. I've seen him being describe as Swiss, Dutch and Swedish. He was born in Switzerland but is Dutch of origin and worked many years in Sweden and also lives there. He also studied cinematography in Poland. Nolan likes his European crew.

yeah, I agree with the green filter. Other than that those shots looks nice.

I think it will look nothing like in pictures of 'Engagement'. It's Nolan after all. When we heard the news that he was making space movie, I wouldn't have never guessed it would look like Interstellar did. I'm sure Nolan will raise the game in WWII movies too!

Well, Interstellar looked pretty much like 2001. In terms of genaral visual style of course, not that Nolan had copypasted anything. It was a homage to Kubrick's style.

Don't worry much about the movie having the same filter, as Nolan is red/green color blind.

Shots look beautiful, though.

How many homages to The Thin Red Line can we expect from this? Nolan is a self professed huge Malick fan, especially of that seminal war film.

Jedisunscreen wrote:How many homages to The Thin Red Line can we expect from this? Nolan is a self professed huge Malick fan, especially of that seminal war film.
I think we can expect a lot. It's kind of funny since I was thinking about the exact same movie. :lol:

God damn it, I just wish it was Pfister..

NotNolan wrote:God damn it, I just wish it was Pfister..