The Press/Premieres Tour Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote: Link to article?

And why did he veto it?

It's heartwarming to hear that they won't be forgotten and get to have the biggest of the premieres.
It's in the paper itself which I ended up buying the digital edition of. Literally just 1 euro.
https://journal.lavoix.com/lepharedunkerquois/

Nolan vetoed because he wants it to be shown in a 'proper cinema', which the Kursaal isn't.

Hmmm...are there any large population cities near Dunkirk? Only 91,000 people live there. Hard to imagine they will have anywhere near the number of people who show up in London or New York.

Oku
antovolk wrote:
okungnyo wrote: Link to article?

And why did he veto it?

It's heartwarming to hear that they won't be forgotten and get to have the biggest of the premieres.
It's in the paper itself which I ended up buying the digital edition of. Literally just 1 euro.
https://journal.lavoix.com/lepharedunkerquois/

Nolan vetoed because he wants it to be shown in a 'proper cinema', which the Kursaal isn't.
Can't it be made into a 'proper cinema' if they install an IMAX screen??
redfirebird2008 wrote:Hmmm...are there any large population cities near Dunkirk? Only 91,000 people live there. Hard to imagine they will have anywhere near the number of people who show up in London or New York.
Maybe it's a ceremonial gesture of gratitude (both to its history and to the city for allowing filming) more than anything.

okungnyo wrote: Can't it be made into a 'proper cinema' if they install an IMAX screen??

Maybe it's a ceremonial gesture of gratitude (both to its history and to the city for allowing filming) more than anything.
well the Kursaal isn't a purpose-built cinema, it's a congress/exhibition centre. What I assume the ideal plan was, is to turn one of the exhibition halls into a temporary IMAX. Evidently Nolan doesn't think that just sticking a screen, a projector, seats and a sound system in a room is enough.

And yes, exactly. I'm pretty sure they'll be making a whole lot of arrangements for Paris-based French press to come for the premiere.

Really cool that they're doing the biggest premiere in Dunkerque itself.

Willem wrote:Really cool that they're doing the biggest premiere in Dunkerque itself.
The only contention for that claim is London (which is funny given how the Dunkirk mayor has been saying 'oh it'll be better and bigger than London) - which will obviously have like TDKR and Interstellar the big red carpet and stuff at Odeon Leicester Sq, then a smaller red carpet at the BFI IMAX, and then the BFI preview which I'm gonna be at.

I understand. But the fact that they're organizing all kinds of events in Dunkerque on the day of the premiere is just so nice.

Willem wrote:I understand. But the fact that they're organizing all kinds of events in Dunkerque on the day of the premiere is just so nice.
Agreed

antovolk wrote:
Nomis wrote:So... Will the film have subtitles or is it entirely in French lol
Probably subtitles.
good good

Oku
antovolk wrote:
okungnyo wrote: Can't it be made into a 'proper cinema' if they install an IMAX screen??

well the Kursaal isn't a purpose-built cinema, it's a congress/exhibition centre. What I assume the ideal plan was, is to turn one of the exhibition halls into a temporary IMAX. Evidently Nolan doesn't think that just sticking a screen, a projector, seats and a sound system in a room is enough.

And yes, exactly. I'm pretty sure they'll be making a whole lot of arrangements for Paris-based French press to come for the premiere.
Still, one would think something would be better than nothing, and that Mr. Nolan would want the world-first public viewing of the film to be in the intended 1.44:1 ratio.

I guess he must have tried the temporary IMAX thing and concluded that it is so terrible that he is willing to sacrifice the expanded ratio for a proper theater experience.