Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
LelekPL wrote:If a film is not worth watching without the help of IMAX then there wouldn't be any reason to be excited for it. It has to stand on its own despite the format so the reviews from regular screens are equally important
I'll have to agree that if I watch my film on my laptop, I better be just as invested in the film as I do seeing it in 15/70 IMAX. However, IMAX should still enrich the experience that you have.

That is a naive and incorrect manner of thinking of film. I think it's a genuinely interesting discussion I have a lot of thoughts on, but we should perhaps move it to a different thread?

It's more on-topic with the "IMAX" thread for example.

-Vader

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
antovolk wrote:
LelekPL wrote:If a film is not worth watching without the help of IMAX then there wouldn't be any reason to be excited for it. It has to stand on its own despite the format so the reviews from regular screens are equally important
take it from someone who has seen it last night on regular 70mm (on a very regular sized screen) - it does stand on its own very well. but I'm sure IMAX will be a different experience.
Glad to hear this, I have been a bit nervous about it holding up on regular theater screens after seeing so many tweets from people saying it must be seen in IMAX. I will travel to see it in IMAX but plan on seeing it in my local theater as well.

Vader182 wrote:That is a naive and incorrect manner of thinking of film. I think it's a genuinely interesting discussion I have a lot of thoughts on, but we should perhaps move it to a different thread?

It's more on-topic with the "IMAX" thread for example.

-Vader
There's no need to discuss it if you start the discussion with "naive" and "incorrect". I sure as hell have my own thoughts about it as well and there's no need to waste time disagreeing about something so obvious.
antovolk wrote:
take it from someone who has seen it last night on regular 70mm (on a very regular sized screen) - it does stand on its own very well. but I'm sure IMAX will be a different experience.
Not that I doubted Nolan in this department but still good to hear. Thanks.

Ace
Another critic for Empire Magazine
@ChrisHewitt
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you DUNKIRK is incredible - epic, intense and gripping. A real palm-sweater. So forget I said anything.

@TheGregoryE
Dunkirk is fantastic and visceral filmmaking. Quite moving at the end. Likely your first Best Picture nominee. #oscars
@Kristapley
"Dunkirk" may be Nolan's masterpiece. Three timelines cascade together in a feat of structural bravura few would dream up let alone attempt.
Last edited by Ace on July 14th, 2017, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
@awardsdaily
Dunkirk is one of the best films I've ever seen. Will be hard to top. Wow. Pulling myself together.

Fuck

-Vader

Oh my....

Tapley raving about it is a big deal. He used to be a big Nolan supporter but had pretty mixed feelings with TDKR/Interstellar.

He loved Inception the first time around but I remember a podcast during Oscar season that year where he said the exposition really hurt it for him in repeat viewings. Dunkirk has barely any dialogue, so hopefully it holds up a lot better with repeat viewings. No chance to get bogged down with expository dialogue if there is hardly any dialogue in the whole movie.