Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
The job of a critic is to be critical though, right? I don't think anyone should be surprised or turned off by a negative review. I enjoy reading other peoples opinions about films, but in the end, the only persons I actually care about is my own. I think most people feel the same way about it, right?

Interesting

redfirebird2008 wrote:Nolan frames for the Scope ratio though. There is a lot of extra headroom on the 1.43 footage in his films, but it works incredibly well in a giant IMAX auditorium because it fills your entire field of vision...most people aren't going to nitpick the amount of headroom like you would if you were comparing the shots on a computer monitor.

The 1.43 image is so huge and overwhelming in a giant IMAX experience that you can't really sit there and analyze things the way you can with screenshots at home.
No, it depends on how close you are to the screen. For Interstellar in Lincoln Square sitting at J24 I was able to take in 75% of the frame and when there were lingering shots I was able to look at the entirety. It added a lot. Nolan may try to frame for the Scope ratio, but that doesn't mean IMAX wouldn't help in situations where it feels too zoomed in or claustrophobic, or where you're meant to take in some beautiful scenery, or where IMAX let's say, has an additional Spitfire in the frame that you wouldn't ordinarily see because it's cut off.

Geoffrey wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:Nolan frames for the Scope ratio though. There is a lot of extra headroom on the 1.43 footage in his films, but it works incredibly well in a giant IMAX auditorium because it fills your entire field of vision...most people aren't going to nitpick the amount of headroom like you would if you were comparing the shots on a computer monitor.

The 1.43 image is so huge and overwhelming in a giant IMAX experience that you can't really sit there and analyze things the way you can with screenshots at home.
No, it depends on how close you are to the screen. For Interstellar in Lincoln Square sitting at J24 I was able to take in 75% of the frame and when there were lingering shots I was able to look at the entirety. It added a lot. Nolan may try to frame for the Scope ratio, but that doesn't mean IMAX wouldn't help in situations where it feels too zoomed in or claustrophobic, or where you're meant to take in some beautiful scenery, or where IMAX let's say, has an additional Spitfire in the frame that you wouldn't ordinarily see because it's cut off.
Same is true for movies on television that are "formatted to fit your screen." Just because directors understand this might happen when you originally shoot in anamorphic 2.35:1, doesn't mean that you're just going to leave unimportant information in the areas that will get cut off when they are broadcast on cable.

Hell, The Brady Bunch was the same way!

I've edited the first post with the most relevant tweets we've gotten so far (by categories), feel free to suggest other important ones.

At what time this morning are critics supposed to see Dunkirk?

Tremendous

Ace
US film people about to watch it...

@akstanwyck
Anne Thompson
Gleeful anticipation as I settle into Dunkirk at long last in IMAX. Bring it on Chris Nolan!

If a film is not worth watching without the help of IMAX then there wouldn't be any reason to be excited for it. It has to stand on its own despite the format so the reviews from regular screens are equally important

LelekPL wrote:If a film is not worth watching without the help of IMAX then there wouldn't be any reason to be excited for it. It has to stand on its own despite the format so the reviews from regular screens are equally important
take it from someone who has seen it last night on regular 70mm (on a very regular sized screen) - it does stand on its own very well. but I'm sure IMAX will be a different experience.