Dunkirk Industry/Celebrity Buzz

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
While the initial reactions always tend to have a dose of exaggeration, they are generally indicative of the expected overall reaction to the movie.

I mean, I remember the hype and praise for Interstellar before the reviews embargo was lifted, but weren't those positive first impressions more from fellow filmmakers more than actual critics? Pretty sure they were.
Last edited by Innovator on July 10th, 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some of these guys are serious critics though. Drew from Playlist gave Interstellar a negative review too so that should tell you this is a home run

Damn

Innovator wrote:I mean, I remember the hype and praise for Interstellar before the reviews embargo was lifted, but weren't those positive first impressions more from filmmakers more than actual critics? Pretty sure it was.
Yup I believe so. I'm ecstatic over these reactions but there's definitely gonna be some negativity coming.

Spert wrote:Some of these guys are serious critics though. Drew from Playlist gave Interstellar a negative review too so that should tell you this is a home run
There ya go. But since when does anyone allow critics to tell them what to think? I will take The Prestige over Insomnia or TDKR any damn day of the week, yet the critics went the other way on those films.

The Prestige might be his best movie. I would be shocked if Dunkirk actually manages to have the staying power that The Prestige has had over time for me personally. Time is the ultimate test for any movie.

Those reviews are just amazing. Can't wait!!! 9 days to go.

I wonder why the "let's wait for the real critics" squad didn't seem to apply the same standard for Apes and Spidey. :problem:

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Spert wrote:Some of these guys are serious critics though. Drew from Playlist gave Interstellar a negative review too so that should tell you this is a home run
There ya go. But since when does anyone allow critics to tell them what to think? I will take The Prestige over Insomnia or TDKR any damn day of the week, yet the critics went the other way on those films.

The Prestige might be his best movie. I would be shocked if Dunkirk actually manages to have the staying power that The Prestige has had over time for me personally. Time is the ultimate test for any movie.
Oh yeah I agree with you too. I also think TDKR and Insomnia are his worst movies.

Interstellar is actually my favorite Nolan so my opinion is very opposite of the critics. I'm just saying that in terms of reception, this is looking like it will get universal praise. I only really care about a few critics cuz I tend to agree with them or like their write ups (none of them have tweeted anything yet) but if this can end up pulling a Fury Road on Rotten Tonatoes, we could see a big Oscars run here.

Daphne wrote:
Innovator wrote:I mean, I remember the hype and praise for Interstellar before the reviews embargo was lifted, but weren't those positive first impressions more from filmmakers more than actual critics? Pretty sure it was.
Yup I believe so. I'm ecstatic over these reactions but there's definitely gonna be some negativity coming.
Of course, that's to be expected. What is was trying to say is that these reactions are coming from people who don't have anything to do with Nolan himself, they're not fellow directors, etc. So I will for now consider all of this a good sign.

Oku
If critics' biggest problem is that there isn't a standout character, i.e. that the characters are 'boring', then is that not the best news possible?

Because 'boring' means subtlety and understatement, and those two things age like fine wine.

Whereas other problems like too much exposition, badly written dialogue, or awkward fight choreography, do not age well and get more noticeable upon rewatches.

Edit: 'it' to 'characters'
Last edited by Oku on July 10th, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.